Rasheed

Resources and Tips about Veganism and Athletics

14 posts in this topic

    What are best resources which talks about being animal-product free athlete? 

  I am asking this because I watched Joe Rogan debunking Game Changers movie, what he said make sense. Also, I listened to other people saying exact opposite, what they say also makes sense...:D

  Joe basically said that athletes can be vegan, but it must be done the right way...So, what is the right way to do it? What is the best resource to learn that from? 

  • Also, what are some other best tips for this practice?
Edited by Rasheed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no one size fits all. 

Depending on the type of athletics, your particular body and its individual needs you need a specific diet.

If you're interested in building muscle, check out Frank Medrano. It seems to work for him and he offers meal plans on his website. John Venus also seems to be quite successful.


Knowing is not enough. We must apply.
Willing is not enough. We must do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shiva said:

There's no one size fits all. 

Depending on the type of athletics, your particular body and its individual needs you need a specific diet.

If you're interested in building muscle, check out Frank Medrano. It seems to work for him and he offers meal plans on his website. John Venus also seems to be quite successful.

I am doing the research, but information really contradicts each other....

I have one question, I want to ask you:

- I hear people saying that protein type is the most important thing, and individual needs to hit all 9 amino acids for body to be at it's optimum. I hear some other people say, protein amount is more important because body is smart enough to use protein amount efficiently? What do you think about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rasheed People say all sorts of things. I think there comes a point where more research becomes counterproductive. Instead I think you need to apply more and also learn from experience. Remember that it's important to balance theory and practice.


Knowing is not enough. We must apply.
Willing is not enough. We must do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shiva said:

@Rasheed People say all sorts of things. I think there comes a point where more research becomes counterproductive. Instead I think you need to apply more and also learn from experience. Remember that it's important to balance theory and practice.

Thanks. I will apply both theories and see what works. I want to ask you one more question...:D

- I watched Leo's video about shopping healthy food. He said to not eat soy, wheat and corn. I get it for corn and wheat but what about soy. How can vegan athlete not eat soy? It's easy for Leo to not eat soy because he can go and eat organic grass fed meat + organic eggs...Is soy really as bad as Leo thinks? 

Edited by Rasheed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rasheed said:

I watched Leo's video about shopping healthy food. He said to not eat soy, wheat and corn. I get it for corn and wheat but what about soy. How can vegan athlete not eat soy? It's easy for Leo to not eat soy because he can go and eat organic grass fed meat + organic eggs...Is soy really as bad as Leo thinks? 

There's no reason why a vegan should be eating soy, I've personally done quite a bit of research into soy because there are all kinds of myths around it and upon closer investigation I couldn't find a good reason not to consume it. 


Knowing is not enough. We must apply.
Willing is not enough. We must do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Shiva said:

There's no reason why a vegan should be eating soy, I've personally done quite a bit of research into soy because there are all kinds of myths around it and upon closer investigation I couldn't find a good reason not to consume it. 

I thought vegans need to eat soy, in order to get protein...Still, I am happy that it's still good to eat. I did it research on it too, and it is really about buying organic one, not with GMO-s... 

Thanks.

Do you have any other important tips for this practice?

I agree with you 100% about the point you made which really helps, this veganism and really nutrition is about direct experience and taking action, because information is super contradictory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

this veganism and really nutrition is about direct experience and taking action, because information is super contradictory.

Absolutely!

55 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

I thought vegans need to eat soy, in order to get protein...

We need a lot less protein than we think we need. As long as you eat whole plants and meet your required calorie intake it's actually very difficult not to get enough protein.

It's true though that soy has particularly high protein content, but so do beans, lentils, whole grains, chick peas, seitan, quinoa, brown rice etc.


Knowing is not enough. We must apply.
Willing is not enough. We must do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Absolutely!

We need a lot less protein than we think we need. As long as you eat whole plants and meet your required calorie intake it's actually very difficult not to get enough protein.

It's true though that soy has particularly high protein content, but so do beans, lentils, whole grains, chick peas, seitan, quinoa, brown rice etc.

Thank you. What's your opinion about whole wheat? Corn?

If I am asking you too many questions, sorry...Tell me to stop, but your feedback is very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rasheed  Soy milk in my case has negative effects, like colon pain and thin toilet sludge. I once read that soy can be bad for your health if you eat it everyday, but that has to do something with the way it's processed. Corn is foor the most part indigestible. If you chew it you will notice that the other layer doesn't digest with saliva which is a the first process in digesting. Also if you shit look at it and you will see that it indeed didn't digest. I don't think your body has benefits from it. I personally experience a lot of gas from corn, which I think is because it's mostly indigestible. However I think some people can handle it better than I do. 

The best thing you can do is trial and error. Eat soy everyday and notice how it effects your wellbeing. Then eat corn for a week and so on. For protein I eat green beans, red beans, brown, white, black beans (black beans are the best:P), chickpeas, peas, peanuts, chia seeds. And I even got heavier from it!. These are way better alternatives in my opinion to soy.  


Check out my channel :ph34r:

https://youtu.be/0uZJOhDxHzs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rasheed Check out this article + podcast/transcript, highly informative. Ben Greenfield is imo the best source for nutritional science advice in the world of fitness and performance. 

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/plant-based-diet/

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/nutrition-podcasts/episode-230-full-transcript/


"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Marinus said:

@Rasheed  Soy milk in my case has negative effects, like colon pain and thin toilet sludge. I once read that soy can be bad for your health if you eat it everyday, but that has to do something with the way it's processed. Corn is foor the most part indigestible. If you chew it you will notice that the other layer doesn't digest with saliva which is a the first process in digesting. Also if you shit look at it and you will see that it indeed didn't digest. I don't think your body has benefits from it. I personally experience a lot of gas from corn, which I think is because it's mostly indigestible. However I think some people can handle it better than I do. 

The best thing you can do is trial and error. Eat soy everyday and notice how it effects your wellbeing. Then eat corn for a week and so on. For protein I eat green beans, red beans, brown, white, black beans (black beans are the best:P), chickpeas, peas, peanuts, chia seeds. And I even got heavier from it!. These are way better alternatives in my opinion to soy.  

Do you eat multiple type of beans, on the same day? 

I think, it’s about buying organic soy, and that way, person can eat it on a daily basis. But of course, it’s really about testing things and taking action. Thank you.

14 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

@Rasheed Check out this article + podcast/transcript, highly informative. Ben Greenfield is imo the best source for nutritional science advice in the world of fitness and performance. 

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/plant-based-diet/

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/nutrition-podcasts/episode-230-full-transcript/

Thank you. I appreciate you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RasheedI do indeed eat multiple bean kinds, mostly two + vegetables, but today 4 kinds. They are really cheap. Healthy food in general is cheap (I don't mean organic that's even better). Chia seeds I highly recommend, because it also has Omega 3 which many people lack in their diet. 


Check out my channel :ph34r:

https://youtu.be/0uZJOhDxHzs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now