Nash

Need advice for my psychology project

6 posts in this topic

I'm in Psy101 in college and for our end semester project we must give a powerpoint presentation on any of the topics we have studied. Since I have been watching Leo's lectures for about a year, I decided to challenge myself. I made the subject of my project about how our textbooks deeply underestimate consciousness by defining it as subjective experience, and that it is much greater than that.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can go about this?

Hope you're ready for everyone to look at you like you're crazy ;)

I would say keep it as beginner friendly and practical as possible. 

Maybe show the class some sort of intro into non-duality/ Consciousness video, I can't think of one off the top of my head. 

If you're confident enough, you could run the class through a practical exercise to guide them towards noticing their natural pure awareness that is in the background of all experience, that might actually make people listen more if they realize what you're saying isn't theory, because naturally most people will reject this instantly. 

This is kind of the challenges sages like Sadhguru have, trying to teach the masses about consciousness is no easy feat- good luck!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

I'm thinking of showing a piece of the film The Matrix in it. I told my teacher that people might think I'm crazy when I present. However she said that the information should be really helpful to people and she is looking forward to it. Do you recommend any exercises?

Edited by Nash
added question

This is probably where you meet a crossroads of getting a good grade on this project and presenting truth in its rawest form. I wouldn't assert that reality is a hallucination or anything like that if you want a good grade. 

Maybe your subject matter could be mystical states/altered states of consciousness.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

On 11/20/2019 at 0:39 AM, Nash said:

I made the subject of my project about how our textbooks deeply underestimate consciousness by defining it as subjective experience, and that it is much greater than that.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can go about this?

Just a few ideas. . . The concept that consciousness is a subjective experience is already fairly advanced. It is on the level of relativity. I would put that more advanced than an objective consciousness. . . I would create three "levels" and not argue against any level. I think this is a big trap. The human mind thinks in opposites. I wouldn't frame it as who is right and wrong. I'd frame it more like Paris is in France and France is in Europe. There is no opposites to argue here. 

Contrasting objective and subjective is pretty straightforward. There are many examples one could give. For example, an objectivist might say that the color red exists and this is objectively true for everyone. A relativist might say that everyone's subjective experience of red is different and we have no idea if everyone perceives red the same. . . A second example would be that an objectivist may say that sex/gender is determined physically by genitalia, hormones and neurotransmitters. A relativist may state that gender is determined by one's subjective experience and personal identity.

Going up to absolute is much more challenging imo. I think social fields of conspicuousness would be good as well. For example, bird murmurations, wolf packs, fish, etc. A social field of consciousness is a level higher than an individual consciousness and I think some people at least partially get it. You could also go up a level with nonduality. Yet this is more challenging imo. I have tried to explain it to freshman and a few "get it" but not all.

What are three sources I could cite for consciousness work? I find this to be tricky in a sense. Because all of this work boils down to learning it through your own experience, and theory is only a guiding force.

Edited by Nash