JonasVE12

Struggling to be productive and effective

8 posts in this topic

I'm very creative. I always have a lot of ideas and things I want to explore, research and implement. The thing is that I struggle being productive and getting things done. I think I have ADD/ADHD. I can't concentrate for more than 2 minutes. I tried keeping a commonplace book, but things quickly get really unstructured there, and I don't find much use in it. I think I try to do too much things at once. I always have like 10 google tabs opened up, all with different things I'm researching, and I end up getting nothing useful out of it, and implement nothing. Sure it helps planting seeds in my mind, yes. I also try to implement new habits, like having a steady sleep schedule, cold showers, practices, but don't have the focus and dicipline to stick to these things. 

I guess I will be focussing on developing a more efficiënt way of approaching my ideas and research, and become more strategic spending my time. This is difficult for me with my potential ADHD/ADD. I will be detoxing heavy metals, change my diet completely, find more precence, and suppelement with beneficial herbs and such.

Looking on more perspectives to approach my situation. Thanks

I think simple invisible things like setting intentions and forcing yourself to bite the bullet and finish reading whatever you are, is gonna help the most.  I suffer from the same and IMO it's because I am free and every day is fun fun loosey goosey do whatever time, I don't have a serious intention set, I am just collecting information for the hell of it... maybe you're completely different, just my 2c

Also, be sure to use the 1.25-2.00x speed function if you're listening to youtube lectures. It's better to actually pay attention and focus on a sped up video than have it play in the background while you click around and don't even listen to it cause the pace of it is too boring. It's gonna be even worse if you're not actually paying attention, though.

This is why I think reading is superior to audio learning, the act of reading something requires attention more than being in a room with audio of something entering your ears.

Edited by CMacD

@CMacD Yes! I will be writing down my intentions for the day right after I wake up and stick to them. No more playing around. 

@JonasVE12

You can't do everything. Also, the more different things you do, the lower the quality of your work. Find what is most important to you and focus on that, this way you gain more expertise and focus.

I have an opinion on everything :D

@JustThinkingAloud I have this neurotic compulsive tendencies to find distractions. Thoughts, objects, nail biting, standing up and going to the toilet, standing up and taking food or something to drink without me being hungry or thirsty. Anything so I don't have to sit still and focus.

I will be setting intentions for the day right when I wake up, in line with my long term vision. Doing kriya yoga, and concentration, changing diet, cleansing my body.

19 minutes ago, JonasVE12 said:

I'm very creative. I always have a lot of ideas and things I want to explore, research and implement. The thing is that I struggle being productive and getting things done. I think I have ADD/ADHD. I can't concentrate for more than 2 minutes. I tried keeping a commonplace book, but things quickly get really unstructured there, and I don't find much use in it. I think I try to do too much things at once. I always have like 10 google tabs opened up, all with different things I'm researching, and I end up getting nothing useful out of it, and implement nothing. Sure it helps planting seeds in my mind, yes. I also try to implement new habits, like having a steady sleep schedule, cold showers, practices, but don't have the focus and dicipline to stick to these things. 

I guess I will be focussing on developing a more efficiënt way of approaching my ideas and research, and become more strategic spending my time. This is difficult for me with my potential ADHD/ADD. I will be detoxing heavy metals, change my diet completely, find more precence, and suppelement with beneficial herbs and such.

Looking on more perspectives to approach my situation. Thanks

I wouldn't self diagnose. A referral from your doctor to get assessed by a professional who specializes in ADHD is the first step.

Get their advice and research very thoroughly if they decide to give you meds. Just make sure that you know the full picture of what you're getting into before taking any prescribed meds .

If not then try to stay more aware of your body and take one thing at a time.

Just now, JonasVE12 said:

@JustThinkingAloud I have this neurotic compulsive tendencies to find distractions. Thoughts, objects, nail biting, standing up and going to the toilet, standing up and taking food or something to drink without me being hungry or thirsty. Anything so I don't have to sit still and focus.

Your brain is bored. You need to occupy it with a challenge rather than adding different tasks. You can put a background music on or add something to your activity so you're in the flow. You need to make that one thing more challenging for yourself. Reading is good because you can set your own pace, when you start getting bored just read faster or make notes etc

I have an opinion on everything :D

What is it that is distracting you? Do you feel like you're on the right path in life? 

I am myself, heaven and hell.