louvar

Transitioning to become a vegan

10 posts in this topic

Any thoughts and ordered process to do so, I have the willpower and discipline already just need some resources, bearing the fact I’m a bodybuilder and fitness enthusiast.

There's no ordered process to figuring out your optimal diet but I will say this. You probably need a lot less food than you think. Eat organic, fresh, real food. 

Sailing on the ceiling 

18 hours ago, louvar said:

Any thoughts and ordered process to do so, I have the willpower and discipline already just need some resources, bearing the fact I’m a bodybuilder and fitness enthusiast.

Whatever you do just do it slowly. There are things called enzymes (your body makes them) and if you don't have the enzymes to digest new foreign foods, the food will go right through you without being absorbed. Add some more vegetables to your diet, like introducing a salad to your evening meal and subtracting the desserts or whatever. Keep eating animal products, but taper off really slowly while building your fibre intake really slowly. 

If you try to do it overnight you will just fuck yourself . Especially as you already need a lot of food. 

When climbing Mt Everest, the expeditions are usually returning to the same point several times to adapt to rapid changes of oxygen concentration. From each base camp they climb several times just to come back again. (at least this is what they had to do in the past)

...my point is that your transition should be the same. As guys advised, never go cold turkey. Start by increasing your fibre intake up to 50g/day. Start adding more plants while removing animals from your plates. Don't forget to chew a lot as plant fibre needs the mechanical processing as well as the carbohydrate-digesting amylase in your saliva. 

If you find yourself getting bloated, it is time to return to base camp. Reduce the plant fibre a bit and pace yourself slower. If you are fine, start increasing doses slowly.  

The greatest struggle will probably be legumes. Start adapting those slowly. A palm size a day split over few meals. You can soak them sprout instead of buying canned to make them easier to digest. 

It's all about adapting your microbiota and breeding more of the strains that will help you process fibre better. This may take couple weeks but the reward will be incredible bowel movement and cleaner gut then ever. 

If you are going in it for a long term, you may need to consider a B12 ( cyanocobalamin or methylocobalamin ) and DHA (algae oil) supplement. Vitamin D3 if you live in cold climate with limited sun as well. 

And finally don't forget to eat enough. If you feel week or if your libido starts dropping either reduce the amount of exercise while you adapt or increase your portion sizes. 

Books:

Brenda Davis is a dietitian and a strong advocate of veganism. She is in her late 50s and looks fabulous. I would check out her book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Becoming-Vegan-Comprehensive-Reference-Plant-based/dp/1570672970/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=brenda+davis+diet&qid=1573725776&sr=8-1

Michael Greger has a book called: "How Not to Die - Cookbook" -> this is my favourite plant based go-to book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Not-Die-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/1529010810/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=michael+greger&qid=1573725873&sr=8-1

+ I'd also subscribe to his Nutrition Facts youtube channel. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 13/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, Shiva said:

The guy Frank Medrano has online meal plans for building muscle. 

Purchased it for the recipes and food list

On 14/11/2019 at 10:01 AM, Michael569 said:

When climbing Mt Everest, the expeditions are usually returning to the same point several times to adapt to rapid changes of oxygen concentration. From each base camp they climb several times just to come back again. (at least this is what they had to do in the past)

...my point is that your transition should be the same. As guys advised, never go cold turkey. Start by increasing your fibre intake up to 50g/day. Start adding more plants while removing animals from your plates. Don't forget to chew a lot as plant fibre needs the mechanical processing as well as the carbohydrate-digesting amylase in your saliva. 

If you find yourself getting bloated, it is time to return to base camp. Reduce the plant fibre a bit and pace yourself slower. If you are fine, start increasing doses slowly.  

The greatest struggle will probably be legumes. Start adapting those slowly. A palm size a day split over few meals. You can soak them sprout instead of buying canned to make them easier to digest. 

It's all about adapting your microbiota and breeding more of the strains that will help you process fibre better. This may take couple weeks but the reward will be incredible bowel movement and cleaner gut then ever. 

If you are going in it for a long term, you may need to consider a B12 ( cyanocobalamin or methylocobalamin ) and DHA (algae oil) supplement. Vitamin D3 if you live in cold climate with limited sun as well. 

And finally don't forget to eat enough. If you feel week or if your libido starts dropping either reduce the amount of exercise while you adapt or increase your portion sizes. 

Books:

Brenda Davis is a dietitian and a strong advocate of veganism. She is in her late 50s and looks fabulous. I would check out her book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Becoming-Vegan-Comprehensive-Reference-Plant-based/dp/1570672970/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=brenda+davis+diet&qid=1573725776&sr=8-1

Michael Greger has a book called: "How Not to Die - Cookbook" -> this is my favourite plant based go-to book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Not-Die-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/1529010810/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=michael+greger&qid=1573725873&sr=8-1

+ I'd also subscribe to his Nutrition Facts youtube channel. 

Mount Everest huh , great analogy. I’ll taper on and off, my gut bacteria is decent tbh, I’ll keep eating legumes consistently in palm size portions and up my fibre

As for supplements I’ll take b12 and algae capsules and epa and dha

I transitioned about a month ago, I took the chance when I was moving to another place to live. I'm living alone now, so if makes it easier, because my fridge is all vegan and other options are just not an option, unless I go out and buy them, which I don't do and have no temptations to do so. I went cold turkey and nothing bad has happened to me, I've lost a bit of weight, but I look better now. I used to drink a lot of milk, loved cheese and yogurts, ate meat daily, a lot of eggs and almost no fruits.

I kind of made the decision about a year ago, inspired by someone I admire. I did watch Cowspiracy, What the health and documentaries like that. I've been watching Mic the vegan and Michael Greger and others on Youtube during this time, they are very convincing, in some point you just gotta go. I've also researched about other diet choices, but they haven't convinced me at all.

I know I will pay some prices socially, but my decision is firm and I'm going to stick to it. 

You won't do it perfectly from the start, but that's kind of cool too, it can be an enjoyable challenge to discover new foods, ways of cooking and all that. It also feels good to see your health improving and the fact that you are contributing less to animal cruelty and pollution. 

I’ve also heard about interrmitant fasting and autophagy which is powerful for longevity. However I’d have to give up body building

Start by making one meal a day that is vegan, healthy, and tasty. Learn how to cook vegan first by checking out some recipes and trying them out yourself.

Eat lots of legumes - beans and lentils. I'd suppose begin by making at least one meal a day where beans or lentils are the staple. Lots of protein depending on how many beans or lentils you use. Ex. I eat lentil curry every day (caramelize onion and bell pepper with water in non-stick pan, garlic-ginger-curry powder-or every spice you like, then a can of chopped tomatoes-lemon juice and let simmer, 150g red lentils cook em. Then add the bunch together, eat it or store it. This dish can be really awesome if your spice game is great

Depending on the amount of fiber you will be eating, you will fart a lot at first as your gut microbiome won't be adapted to the humongous amount of fiber you could be getting. If you want to take it slower then don't just to eating 100g of fiber a day, go for idk like 50g/day at first. Although after a few months that will be fine.

All else just start incorporating whole plant-based foods - fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts, etc. Also, improve your spice game.

Greger's website nutritionfacts.org or book How Not To Die is great for nutrition data, but they don't care about bodybuilding. Yt vegan recipes - jon venus (bodybuilder), avantgardevegan.

Edited by Tarzan