Aggelos Doulgerakis

Psychosomatic Symptoms from Anxiety

18 posts in this topic

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this...

I have been dealing with anxiety-induced chronic gastritis for the last 3 years or so. I was 16 years old at the time and I was really anxious about money. Both of my parents were unemployed , however we were managing with help from saved money and my grandmother helping us out a lot.
So since I am really good with technology, I decided to learn coding in order to start freelancing so I could make some money in order to make sure I could help with the situation, as well as set up a career in the field for many years to come. The thing is I was doing it from a place of really intense fear. I think this was also from fear of not being worthy.

Anyway after learning programming for about 2-3 weeks I suddenly had really intense nausea and threw up. And the nausea wasn't going away. I was hospitalized and eventually got diagnosed with chronic gastritis. At the time I didn't realize it was from this anxiety. After a while, I started to code again, and every time I did my stomach symptoms would really flare up. I did some more research and spoke to doctors and I came to the conclusion it was from anxiety/fear.
Since then, I have never tried to pursue programming again due to fear of my gastritis becoming worse.

A few months ago, after getting on the Self-Actualization path, I realized that I want to pursue a career in life coaching. But due to lack of money I am not able to participate in a training program or take a course. A week ago,I had the idea to start a dropshipping business to make some money so I could do a program.(The money needed to start it is only about 1000 dollars so I can do it right now with money I saved up from a part time job.) But yet again, only 20 minutes into planning how to actually do it, I had one of the biggest flare ups in my symptoms ever.
I am at a loss here, how the hell am I supposed to do anything with my career if my health suffers so much?

Maybe this is all just from the fear of getting a flare up. And it is a self-fulfiling prophecy. But even if this is the case, how can I break this cycle?

Excuse me If I wasn't very clear about something, my English is not the best, I am from Greece...Any help would be IMMENSLY appreciated. This is my biggest problem right now.

https://exploringyourmind.com/emotional-gastritis-symptoms-causes-and-treatments/

Sounds psychosomatic and is called emotional gastritis. I linked an article for you. It suggests a 3 fold approach- medical, emotional and diet changes for treatment.

I do hope you feel better, sounds awful.

Edited by Anna1

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Thanks for the link, I will read it and see if I'm not doing something.

Although, I have already implemented a plant based diet, have been meditating for the negative emotions, and I take medication for the symptoms, yet my gastritis is still here, I can't seem to get over the anxiety around money.

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to find the article :) .

1 minute ago, Aggelos Doulgerakis said:

I can't seem to get over the anxiety around money.

Have you tried talk therapy?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I did right after I realized it was from anxiety and basically the therapist told me to face my fear. But when I did, my symptoms got really bad.

But that was a long time ago, maybe I need to try it again and open up a bit more, because I was really afraid of expressing emotions back then.

@Aggelos Doulgerakis Yeah, sounds like you have some stuff to work through, but you seem very eager to solve your issue and that's 1/2 the battle. So, I'd say try therapy again. You may need to stick with it a bit longer this time.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Mod (Di)Anna???? Rofl ? just now noticed ☺️ (That awesome, you are awesome ?) 

@Aggelos Doulgerakis it seems to me like weak adrenals, perhaps do some intermittent fasting, try eating just fruit in the mornings and incorporate some green smoothie meals. Your body is a regenerator and fruit will help properly hydrate you on a cellular level to promote healing your adrenal glands. When your body isn’t using energy for digestion it can focus on healing the other issues which are linked to mood. The body is our temple, keep treatin it right! 

Edited by DrewNows

1 minute ago, DrewNows said:

@Anna1 Mod (Di)Anna???? Rofl ? just now noticed ☺️ (That awesome, you are awesome ?) 

Hehe, thanks ?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@DrewNows Thanks for the tips, but I already drink green smoothies and eat loads of fruit/veggies in general.

My real issue is, even if my gastritis completely heals, I will still be afraid of it coming back whenever I plan my career path...Which will most likely cause it to come back (psychosomatic again). That's the fear I want to "beat". 

@Aggelos Doulgerakis Become present and see for yourself that your anxiety is not real, but something you are creating.

Ironically you creating a post about your anxiety only fuels the anxiety. 

Just become present. There is nothing to do apart from that. 

Then you will see 

@Nickyy Hmm, that's true. I didn't think about that.

What about working on a business? While I am doing it my anxiety seems uncontrollable...Should I just watch it?

3 minutes ago, Nickyy said:

@Aggelos Doulgerakis Become present and see for yourself that your anxiety is not real, but something you are creating.

Ironically you creating a post about your anxiety only fuels the anxiety. 

Just become present. There is nothing to do apart from that. 

Then you will see 

Exactly. Once you start trusting yourself and the journey of transformation fear becomes a sign post you are headed in the right direction to achieve your goals. Stopping at the emotions along the way and resisting is only going to recreate the same obstacles you’ve made 

1 minute ago, Aggelos Doulgerakis said:

@Nickyy Hmm, that's true. I didn't think about that.

What about working on a business? While I am doing it my anxiety seems uncontrollable...Should I just watch it?

Try experimenting one day when you're alone and not busy. Maybe on the bus home? Just become present and you will learn how to become present while doing your tasks. 

6 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Exactly. Once you start trusting yourself and the journey of transformation fear becomes a sign post you are headed in the right direction to achieve your goals. Stopping at the emotions along the way and resisting is only going to recreate the same obstacles you’ve made 

Thank you. But that's not quite what I'm saying.

I'm saying all fear is an illusion because of not noticing the minds tendancy to project itself into an imagined future, and the identification with that process. 

Breaking the identification with the process and being present is enough for fear to disappear

@Nickyy yes I was simply adding to it, another perspective, as I’ve found It can be easier to observe and grow spiritually, have clarity and insights, with a healthy body, but of course, it’s all connected and assists one another 

btw enjoy your posts ?