Consept

Need Some Advice Guys (Life purposey type stuff)

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, so heres the situation - Ive been doing entrepreneur type stuff to make a living for around 6 years now, in that time ive not had any jobs apart from working for myself. Mostly its been ecommerce so selling on Amazon, ebay etc, i built it up to a really good level where basically i barely worried about money and was even teaching others how to make money (see my podcast). However being comfortable led to me being a bit lazy and not pushing myself and also even though i knew this wasnt my life purpose or something i really loved i only did this, so i didnt do other things that wouldve brought about more fulfillment or were more important to me. Now things arent going as well, sales are slowing down, taxes are higher because i was selling a lot so my margins are squeezed and im not making as much as before and it seems to be getting worse. Having said that ive also started some smaller ways to get money and thanks to those im keeping my head a float money wise, just about. 

So now im thinking i really need to push myself to do something more meaningful, as solely making money didnt really bring me fulfilment it only really brought comfort which is ok but either way i need to get on my life purpose. I still want to have businesses but i want something else to be at the forefront even if it doesnt make as much money or even any money but i want to use this opportunity of pressure to push myself and live a life more about purpose, which i know ive been holding back on.

The problem i want to help with is low self esteem, as i believe this is a core problem that has so many ramifications for people and society, i believe it to be the cause of a lot of crime, addiction, mental health etc etc. I think i could help in this sphere, i started a youtube channel a few years ago and at first i talked more about consciousness and topics similar to Leo, but i just felt that i wasnt clear of my own issues let alone talking about something like this, I also found it a harder sell than other topics as less people are interested in it, but i have to say Leo has done amazing with the popularity of his channel.

The other topic i was looking at was a channel around OCD which ive done a few videos about in the last couple months, i have a lot of experience with the topic having had it since childhood and i think there are a lot of solutions for it within the consciousness realm. So what im asking is should i do a channel and then possibly a business around OCD, anxiety etc? Should i do a channel that just includes those topics but talks about other things? (i do want to talk about other topics as well) Do you think its a viable life purpose? Should i do some kind of training?

Finally i would love if you could take a look at my channel and let me know any positives and negatives about the videos, if you look at earlier videos the topics are a bit different so let me know what you think works and honestly your opinion on if this is even something i should do - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2xa0ziGzezDVGpaDT-GIEg?view_as=subscriber

@Consept It's a viable life purpose to help OCD people for sure. It's also sounds like a good idea to talk about other topic you're experienced in on your youtube channel, if you'll have one. You may want to think about other ways of actualizing your purpose too. 

I started watching one of your videos but found it strenuous, I didn't understand all of what you are saying. I'm not a native speaker and may get used to your particular accent if I try hard enough, I'm just letting you know.

2 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

@Consept It's a viable life purpose to help OCD people for sure. It's also sounds like a good idea to talk about other topic you're experienced in on your youtube channel, if you'll have one. You may want to think about other ways of actualizing your purpose too. 

I started watching one of your videos but found it strenuous, I didn't understand all of what you are saying. I'm not a native speaker and may get used to your particular accent if I try hard enough, I'm just letting you know.

Hi @Elisabeth, thanks for the reply, yes i was thinking to have a youtube channel, what other ways of actualising my purpose were you thinking of? I have some ideas, one on one counselling, motivational talks, online course, writing a book etc, but not sure exactly what route to go down.

Sorry to hear you found it strenuous, I do have a slightly distinctive London accent, I have toned it down a little but i still want to be authentic when i talk. But are you saying the content is hard to follow or does it literally come down to the accent? Just so i know what to work on. Thanks for taking the time to watch though x

14 minutes ago, Consept said:

But are you saying the content is hard to follow or does it literally come down to the accent? 

It's really about pronunciation, you swallow whole syllables :) The content I don't know, I didn't watch the whole video, sorry. Good luck in your endeavours. 

2 hours ago, Consept said:

Hi @Elisabeth, thanks for the reply, yes i was thinking to have a youtube channel, what other ways of actualising my purpose were you thinking of? I have some ideas, one on one counselling, motivational talks, online course, writing a book etc, but not sure exactly what route to go down.

Actually I do have one idea that you could also use, there's a "peer to peer" program at our local mental hospital where ill people can talk to someone more experienced who have been battling mental illness for quite some time. If that appeals, maybe you could start a program like that. 

1 hour ago, Elisabeth said:

Actually I do have one idea that you could also use, there's a "peer to peer" program at our local mental hospital where ill people can talk to someone more experienced who have been battling mental illness for quite some time. If that appeals, maybe you could start a program like that. 

Actually that's a really good idea, there a lot of people on Facebook groups for example who need people to talk to and others that want to help, so might be good to get them together in a more formal way, could even match specific types of OCD to each other. 

I'm going to look into it, thanks a lot for the suggestion 

8 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

I like this. I could see how formulating a proof of concept for it could be relatively easy. Keep us posted on your findings. 

Do you plan on using this as a primary income, or just something on the side?  

I would make the channel a little broader that way you could hit trending topics within your niche without looking like your reaching to far. From what I can see there's not enough traffic in this niche alone without haveing to spend to much on marketing. 

Are you into anything else besides arbitrage? 

When things go wrong in your perspective, remember it's not about you ?

7 hours ago, Water said:

I like this. I could see how formulating a proof of concept for it could be relatively easy. Keep us posted on your findings. 

Do you plan on using this as a primary income, or just something on the side?  

I would make the channel a little broader that way you could hit trending topics within your niche without looking like your reaching to far. From what I can see there's not enough traffic in this niche alone without haveing to spend to much on marketing. 

Are you into anything else besides arbitrage? 

No it wouldn't be a primary income, at least not initially and tbh I'm not necessarily doing it for the money, it's just I feel like there's something biting at me to do something purposeful, mainly because I've been really up with the money in the past and it was cool but actually led to me getting comfortable and not really doing much. 

I think @Elisabeth s idea was great I'm just thinking of how to do it and keep people safe but then not having to over moderate, for example I don't necessarily want people to advise on medicine as theyre not doctors, so tricky but do able I reckon.

Although it wouldn't be my primary income I would love for it to make some money, but it wouldn't so much be from the channel, it would more be from one on one sessions I do or might do a patreon account. So it doesn't need to get millions of subscribers. I do want to talk about other topics but worried that might put ocd people off, not sure the best way to do it. Ideally I'd want to do ocd plus consciousness, self-help, society topics etc, but not sure how that would work. 

Apart from arbitrage, I've just started car rental with a company called getaround, so I've bought a car and it gets rented out on an app, with the intention to get more if it works. I also do matched betting which I would recommend if you're in a country that allows online betting. So money wise its OK, could be better, but for me I really need to do the purpose thing 

6 hours ago, Consept said:

I think @Elisabeths idea was great I'm just thinking of how to do it and keep people safe but then not having to over moderate, for example I don't necessarily want people to advise on medicine as theyre not doctors, so tricky but do able I reckon.

Although it wouldn't be my primary income I would love for it to make some money, but it wouldn't so much be from the channel, it would more be from one on one sessions I do or might do a patreon account. So it doesn't need to get millions of subscribers. I do want to talk about other topics but worried that might put ocd people off, not sure the best way to do it. Ideally I'd want to do ocd plus consciousness, self-help, society topics etc, but not sure how that would work. 

When your ready to start the channel put some money aside for marketing and start testing niches related to ocd. The ones that get more more good engagement double down, the ones that don't do so well get deleted. 

@Consept

You got this man ??

When things go wrong in your perspective, remember it's not about you ?

8 hours ago, Consept said:

I think @Elisabeth s idea was great I'm just thinking of how to do it and keep people safe but then not having to over moderate, for example I don't necessarily want people to advise on medicine as theyre not doctors, so tricky but do able I reckon.

I think what they do in my area is select the "peer consultants" well, give them some basic training, and supervision - really important. Over here it's probably funded either by the government or by EU grants. So there are some real psychiatrists or psychologists looking over for the program, and some money available both for the consultants and the medical people involved. But I mean, someone had to have the idea, engage the people, apply for the grants. And maybe you'll figure out other ways of financing. 

There are also self-help organizations less tied to medical professions, AA being a well known one, but I also know about one for people with social anxiety, for eating disorders, etc. There's probably good knowledge available.