Viking

i feel like im doing meditation wrong

9 posts in this topic

im doing 10 minutes almost every day for amount a month or two but im still getting distracted and restless before the alarm goes off. im trying to be aware of breath but maybe im not trying good enough? i feel like im not committing to the meditation, so i cant focus on the breath.

10 mins is short even for beginners. Read The Mind Illuminated for a more detailed and structured practice method. Also consider not being in postures that facilitate anxiety and discomfort so much (like 90 degrees upright full lotus etc.)

6 minutes ago, ardacigin said:

10 mins is short even for beginners. Read The Mind Illuminated for a more detailed and structured practice method. Also consider not being in postures that facilitate anxiety and discomfort so much (like 90 degrees upright full lotus etc.)

lol my mind doesnt want to do more than 10 min so much but i guess that's the problem, thanks :) im also checking out the book

54 minutes ago, Viking said:

lol my mind doesnt want to do more than 10 min so much but i guess that's the problem, thanks :) im also checking out the book

Yeah. I meant that to develop the equanimity to do longer sits, you need longer training sessions with the minimum of 20 mins to get the momentum going.

Distraction and restlessness isn't wrong, and I'd say 10 mins is fine for now if that's what you feel comfortable with. Everyone's mind is restless to some degree, the point as I see it, is to just watch your mind as it is, and gently return to the breath when you notice you've wandered. See the movement, and let it go. You don’t need to judge individual sessions as good or bad, you are training your mind in self-awareness using the breath as an anchor (in this technique). Your distractions and your worries about not being good enough are like clouds drifting past. Just watch it all and you're doing great! 

Everything is connected, but connections are only necessary from a fragmented point of view. What's the connection between two waves? The whole deep ocean which they are made of in the first place!

13 minutes ago, MuddyBoots said:

Distraction and restlessness isn't wrong, and I'd say 10 mins is fine for now if that's what you feel comfortable with. Everyone's mind is restless to some degree, the point as I see it, is to just watch your mind as it is, and gently return to the breath when you notice you've wandered. See the movement, and let it go. You don’t need to judge individual sessions as good or bad, you are training your mind in self-awareness using the breath as an anchor (in this technique). Your distractions and your worries about not being good enough are like clouds drifting past. Just watch it all and you're doing great! 

the thing is that im so lazy during meditation that i dont even try to see myself wondering sometimes, im just keeping on thinking things without an intention to come back to the breath

Watching the breath can seem boring compared to whatever thoughts you may be having :). This type of meditation belongs to the concentration category so yes, you're training that too. Like when you've got studying to do but would rather do something, anything else. My suggestion is to be kind to yourself, accept your laziness and carry on. Try and stretch yourself a little bit, within your comfort zone. Also, it helped me in the early stages to reach the occasional blissed-out state to motivate me to carry on. I still get bliss sometimes but it doesn't matter. Also, do you get enough aerobic exercise to burn off excess energy? That might help with the restlessness. 

Edited by MuddyBoots

Everything is connected, but connections are only necessary from a fragmented point of view. What's the connection between two waves? The whole deep ocean which they are made of in the first place!

2 hours ago, Viking said:

im doing 10 minutes almost every day for amount a month or two but im still getting distracted and restless before the alarm goes off. im trying to be aware of breath but maybe im not trying good enough? i feel like im not committing to the meditation, so i cant focus on the breath.

It takes more time and I recommend a mantra of some kind.

Some recommend classical music so that your mind will lose itself in the melody.

Some use a word or sound like Ooommmm or some other sound.

Most sages recommend fasting for at least 3 days because it takes that long for you to burn the sugars out of your body and mind and allows the more potent and efficient fat energy to get to your brain.

Good luck.

Finding what Jung and Freud called the Father Complex within you, is quite interesting and disturbing, but is well worth the effort.

Regards

DL

Meditation is about letting go, you are still thinking/resisting/holding on.

Lose yourself, that's how you come back reborn :)

B R E A T H E