samedm9

Trump Impeachment

204 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

Oops.. yes, Serotoninluv, you are correct here.. The Obama question was NOT the 'what-about-ism'.

I try to see the underlying orientation motivating the asking of the question. . . It's not just in politics. I work with scientists all day and hear the phrase "What about XYZ?". There are very different intentions when asking this question. To me, the reveal is mostly non-verbal - how/why are they asking the question. As well, there is a reveal in their response. 

I was at a talk last week about the mechanisms of how fish adapt to changing water temperatures. After the talk, a person in the audience asked "What about epigenetics?". . . What followed was an exchange of ideas and expansion. The speaker said, "Hmmm, that's a good question. Here is how I think epigenetics may or may not be involved". There was an atmosphere of openness and curiosity.  The underlying motivation was to learn and expand. . . That would be different than an audience member who had their own mechanistic model they wanted to defend and saw the speaker as a competitor for funding. He could ask the same question "What about epigenetics", yet the underlying energetic dynamics would be very different. This creates a distorted lens through which one could not see clearly. To others, it is totally obvious. Yet the person observing through the lens is often unaware. 

@Serotoninluv yes, I see your point, which is why I elected to answer questions about Obama and Biden the best I could.. from certain perspectives, they are valid questions.  What IS Obama's role in all of this? What is the Biden's role in all of this?  These questions should not overshadow more serious questions, however. 

In your example, If the person in the audience had asked, 'what about how caterpillars turn into butterflies? What's up with that?', you can see how taking this question seriously might only serve to distract from the questions at hand, rather than bring any clarity.  

Edited by Mason Riggle
edited for grammatical errors (spelling)

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

56 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Serotoninluv yes, I see your point, which is why I elected to answer questions about Obama and Biden the best I could.. from certain perspectives, they are valid questions.  What IS Obama's roll in all of this? What is the Biden's roll in all of this?  These questions should not overshadow more serious questions, however. 

Yea, you touch upon systemic issues and degree of seriousness. There is systemic corruption involving unethical political privilege. Hunter Biden got a job on the Ukraine gas board because his last name was "Biden". China gave Ivanka Trump trademarks because her last name is Trump. Meghan McCain got a job on The View because her last name is McCain. These are widespread common unethical practices that occur in society in which we need systemic structural changes and an increase of consciousness to address. . . And I agree how you point to degree. There are more urgent and serious questions to address.

A metaphor may be something like. . . someone commits the felony of arson. The co-conspirator of the arsonist points at the detective and says "What about the detective's son? He was caught stealing a candy bar. He should be the one investigated". The co-conspirator is clearly inauthentic - his intention is not to root out petty theft - especially since he himself has a long history of petty theft. As well, it fails to address degrees of seriousness.