Marinus

Eastern Martial Arts

7 posts in this topic

Since I was very young I always desired to learn martial arts on a high level. Now I had the idea to maybe travel to china after I graduate college to learn martial arts and get some hardcore teachings that will make me strong mentally and give me a new way of controlling my body. I was wondering if any of you have done this and if you can recommend me a school or something. 

I would try to identify teachers in your current area and speak to them first. Think of your local judo an aikido sensei, any kung-fu masters, Tai-Chi masters, or perhaps a local budhist centre that is not managed by a manager but rather a yogi. 

Lot of these people have been trained in eastern tradition before they migrated to the west. They might be give you tips or you can train with them for some time to be sure this is what you really want to do. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Marinus  i myself do taekwondo for a couple of years already… is planning on going to Korea myself for a couple of weeks to train there. i think the experince is going to be great. so i support your decision.

do you know what a shaolin monk is ? geez is crazy what they go through…. I agree with @Michael569  get a local teachers who could point you in the right direction.

good luck and def keep me updated

@Michael569 @kira I doubt if there are any yogis here, but who knows. When I get my student sport pass I want to join a jujitsu class for the upcoming 2 years. Btw I don't mean training at a monastry with warrior monks rather warrior monks with their own school. Spending one year in China is an idea I have not only for training a martial art, but also the experience of a total different culture and gaining a new perspective on life. One thing I highly struggle with is disciple and considering that stage blue is very good at this I want to gain this skill as I don't see it happing anytime soon.

On 1-10-2019 at 11:10 AM, kira said:

geez is crazy what they go through

Indeed and that's what will change me. An experience as that I don't see happening here. Gaining this new perspective through hardship will shape me in a different. Combine this with my current selfdevelopment knowledge and who knows what comes out of that.

When I was 12 to 15 years old I practised Judo 1 day a week for an hour. Back then I went from the white belt to the blue belt. It felt as I didn't really deserve it, it was too easy and I can say I wasn't that great at all. But still, I want to do something in the meantime, maybe that will be enough I can't say that yet.

@Marinus i get you.. i have been doing martial arts almost all my life.. currently i am focusing on takewondo. and just like you its my goal and dream to be able to spend some time in Korea really learning this sport, i think it will def be a whole unforgatable experince…
doing something in the meantime is indeed a great idea. that way you will have at least a base knowlage and skill.. doesnt matter how small..when you go there.

on the other side.. onces you learn something one way.. it very hard to relearn the same thing again differently

@kira as master of the 4 elements you know that learning multiple arts is possible :P.