ivory

Settle for nursing? Or wait for something better?

6 posts in this topic

I've been a software developer for 15 years and have reached a state of burn out. I've been contemplating a career change for the last 5 years or so but I didn't find anything that really interests me. Having worked remotely for 6 years I came to the realization that I love having freedom. As much freedom as possible.

So I was thinking about becoming a nurse. The reason being is that nurses typically work three 12 hour shifts, and then have four days off of work per week. That sounds amazing. However, I'm not particularly excited about the profession itself. I mean, I think that I'll enjoy the work, but I doubt it will be my passion.

I wonder if I should put this nursing idea on hold and wait for something to come along that really does interest me. The part that concerns me is that I'm almost 40 years old and am not sure anything will come to me. I'm afraid that if I don't take action soon I may miss an opportunity to make a change.

I would love some feedback from anyone who has navigated this territory.

you can also be a teacher and have half work day + holidays and summer and you get to teach software

have ADHD? click here if you want to treat it

You have to put effort into identifying your strengths, weaknesses, hobbies, joys, hates, etc.. then you can narrow down options. From there you gotta try different shit one by one on the side of what you currently do. Also read about it, volunteer, hang around people already doing it, etc. This is more or less the process. 

Nursing doesn't sound like the one.. it's an intense profession from what I hear with high burnout rates. Choosing it and going through the schooling just for the schedule you may or may not get is not the best idea IMHO. 

I agree with @DivineSoda

You shouldn't do nursing if you think it gives you freedom. You might not get the shifts you want, but instead what you are given, especially if you are just starting out in the profession. Think nightshifts over the weekend, that leave you so exhausted you sleep half of day off the next day. 

Secondly, nursing is an emotionally exhaustive job. You are dealing with people at their worst, they are in pain, so they lash out at everything and everyone, which 9/10 is you, the nurse. They will call you names, scream, complain, etc. You have to realise that the healthiest and most sane people don't go to the hospital, it is usually the ones which have poor mental health, lonely, lack proper coping mechanisms, lacking decency/respect, etc. 

Thirdly, you have to deal with peoples shit, literally. You have to wash people, deal with gaping wounds that patients keep picking at, and many more 'gross' stuff. The worst are the patients with Alzheimers that are perpetually confused and don't even communicate that they have shit the bed or pissed their pants. 

Not to paint a bleak picture, but nursing is a really tough job and you really have to love what you are doing to stay at it. You will be burnt out and exhausted most days, but the fulfilment in what you do makes it all worth it in the end. :)

@ivoryI'm in a similar situation with my job at the moment. Great hours, lots of time off, easy money... But not my passion.
I thought that would be great and I'll just put lots of attention in other areas of my life. But after only 3 weeks in I already notice how it's just not aligned with my values and how that rubs me a bit (more) everyday. So I'm happy it's just a temporary solution. You won't loose much by trying though. Being a nurse in itself isn't a good or bad job, it sparks something in some people while others can't even imagine how you could choose a job like that. Maybe it does work out for you and unexpectedly fulfils you in ways you didn't think. Or you're happy with just focusing on your free time. But for me it wouldn't work, I know that now. Think about it: If you spend half of your waking time on something that you're not really passionate about, how is that a good life?

Oh wow, thanks for the replies guys. Since I wrote this post I've been thinking the same. Does it make sense to make a lateral move and do something I'm quite sure I won't actually enjoy? Cleaning up piss and shit sounds like a terrible profession. Not to mention dealing with the bureaucracy at the hospital. The health care industry is a total mess. I had another idea last night. I'm going to write another post about it.