Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khalifa

I Just Started Meditating I Have A Question

10 posts in this topic

when i'm meditating, i feel like i focus on my breath/legs/back/body parts? should i shrug off that concentration on my body and go to a clear deep blank thought or it's fine to think about the sensations i'm feeling? that is either my body or emotions?

Focus your attention on your breath, hearing, feeling sensations.

"think about the sensations i'm feeling? "

Your mind will throw distractions at you, thinking will happen and it's ok, but don't hang onto it. Let the thought of the sensation arise and let it go. Treat the thoughts as any other movement, they come and they go, and soon they will calm down.

if i'm focusing my attention to my breathing/hearing/feeling sensations isn't that contradicting since you said my sensations arise and i'm supposed to let it go?

There 's a saying : "There is no wrong meditation". Just try to make it a habit , a 100% commitment, no days off  , meditate every day for the rest of your life . Can you do that ? Consider it as a skill , the more you practice the better "you" become .

1 hour ago, khalifa said:

if i'm focusing my attention to my breathing/hearing/feeling sensations isn't that contradicting since you said my sensations arise and i'm supposed to let it go?

Let go of the thoughts not the sensations, they will be there anyway.

When a sensation arises like an itch, it is there as long as it is. When a thought arises, it is there as long as you hang onto it, so when a thought arises you can just bring your attention back to the present moment and let the thought go. Hopefully this was clarifying.

5 minutes ago, Jani said:

Let go of the thoughts not the sensations, they will be there anyway.

When a sensation arises like an itch, it is there as long as it is. When a thought arises, it is there as long as you hang onto it, so when a thought arises you can just bring your attention back to the present moment and let the thought go. Hopefully this was clarifying.

so it's completely fine for me to focus on my sensations my body? what about being blank? if i'm being focused on my sensations that won't let my brain think it's kind of an easy mode out, won't that trigger me away from reaching a proper blank mindfulness state?

@khalifa

It's ok for you to have your attention put on your body, as you are just beginning. It's very much ok.

And what do you mean by ...

1 hour ago, khalifa said:

proper blank mindfulness state?

Mindfulness is not blankness. It's a state of clear awareness/perception  (undisturbed by thoughts).

Cheers, 
Chris

@Isle of View

40 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

@khalifa

It's ok for you to have your attention put on your body, as you are just beginning. It's very much ok.

And what do you mean by ...

Mindfulness is not blankness. It's a state of clear awareness/perception  (undisturbed by thoughts).

Cheers, 
Chris

what about my breath? does it matter how i breath? whether it's pure mouth breaths or nose breaths? i shouldn't bother changing it artificially just let it be even if my mouth is open or so right?

14 hours ago, khalifa said:

@Isle of View

what about my breath? does it matter how i breath? whether it's pure mouth breaths or nose breaths? i shouldn't bother changing it artificially just let it be even if my mouth is open or so right?

Yes, breath is important. Just don't expect to be perfect from the get-go. :-)

On May 9, 2016 at 3:21 PM, khalifa said:

when i'm meditating, i feel like i focus on my breath/legs/back/body parts? should i shrug off that concentration on my body and go to a clear deep blank thought or it's fine to think about the sensations i'm feeling? that is either my body or emotions?

I recommend choosing a point of focus and using this to anchor you from getting swept away in thought. Thoughts are impossible to stop. So you pick something in your reality that isn't a thought to anchor your attention on. So, you can choose a sensation to focus on and just bring your attention back to that sensation when you find yourself getting swept away by the content of thoughts. Many people focus on the sensation of the breath on the outer rims of the nostrils, but you can choose any sensory focus that you want. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org