ChrisZoZo

Nuclear Power

What's your choice on nuclear power   9 members have voted

1. 1. What's your choice?

• Pro Nuclear fission and Pro Nuclear fusion
    • Pro Nuclear fission but Against Nuclear fusion
    • Against Nuclear fission but Pro Nuclear fusion
    • Against Nuclear fission and Against Nuclear fusion

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

Fission

I disagreed with Leo's choice on nuclear power, as although i have not looked in to the Fukuyama disaster as leo suggested too. I think that with very secure protocols like having the whole nuclear rectors submerged under 100 tones of water, not being allowed to build near a earthquake zone would  make nuclear power very viable. Also nuclear power is a best hope (i think) at providing a solution to climate change.

Fusion

I don't think Fusion would be a good idea on the other hand. We would have to much energy and that with how  egoistical are planet is we would just create much much greater problems than we have now. For those that don't know nuclear fusion is just nuclear fission with out the radioactive waste so it would be so cheap that we would basically have unlimited energy.

What are you thoughts also add too the poll of what your option is right now. 

Anyone who says they’re enlightened on this form in anyway is not, except me I am. 

As far as meeting our immediate energy needs, I don't see a reason why humanity can't just use wind + solar + geothermal + hydroelectric etc. to replace fossil fuels. We have all the technology and resources to meet our global energy needs a hundred times over with these alone, no unstable fission reactors needed. The only thing that's missing right now is the motivation/consciousness to get there.

With that being said, something in my gut tells me that fusion energy will very interesting to research regardless, so long as its done responsibly and consciously. I imagine any long-term colonisation of space will require us to harness some form of nuclear fusion, for instance. We could use it to power continent-sized supercomputers to create the most accurate models of society, materialist physics, and so on. It's the literally the power of the Sun, which could be harnessed for tremendous good if done right.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

Man in his arrogance thinks he has mastered all elements and forces of this earth. It is not enough that we kill people by irradiating them and call it a nuclear medicine (read "Oncology") we now aim to instal nuclear powerplants all over the world and call it safe and sustainable. It is a new profitable orange industry. 

Nuclear is the new cool-kids toy and nobody cares about the the infinite resources we have in terms of available hydro, solar and wind energy. Playing around with unstable isotopes is way more fun then catching sun and wind...that's what newbies do. Let's call it nuclear fision and fusion, let's give it fancy names alpha, beta, gama radiation, create complex calculations that nobody understands and pay few billions for fake advertisment to the biggest and most corrupt media corporations so that everybody starts believing this nonsense same as that every child needs 15 vaccines by the time they are 3.  

Wait...what? You guys found hazardous leakage and contamination of undground waters....oh well here is another 100 milion for your trouble. Let's not tell media shall we? 

And now repeat after me: "Now I am become death, the destroyer of the world" 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Fission:

I voted pro fission, but with some big qualifications. This is something I've definitely flip flopped on a lot in my life, and can't say I feel completely settled on. We're definitely headed towards catastrophic global warming right now if we don't make some changes. Nuclear is part of the answer that many scientists and environmentalists are urging us to reconsider, and I think it's worth looking at. I'm not pro-fission if we're talking about traditional nuclear power plant tech, but there are many next generation nuclear techs that solve the problems with previous generations of fission power. We're not talking Chernobyl or Fukushima, the Model T Fords of Fission technology.

Fusion:

I'm pro-fusion, in my opinion it's one of Humanity's great callings to solve this puzzle. It won't perfect or as utopic as it's been hyped up to be, but it will be several orders of magnitude better than anything we have at the moment.

In the meantime, we already have an amazing fusion reactor running, and we even have the technology to harness it's power - the Sun, and photovoltaics. PV is already cheaper than coal in many parts of the world. Again, it has it's own problems and challenges, but it sure beats fossil fuels.

Great poll!

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.