Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passerby

Help me get into Full Lotus

4 posts in this topic

I wanna be able to do full lotus, or ideally Siddhasana pose for meditation, but i'm not flexible enough (haven't exercised or stretched for years lol)

Have any of you found any decent vids on youtube that gives good instructions on how to gain flexibility for these poses? coz all the ones I found are just showing what the posture is and how to get into it (like you already got the flexibility for it). I'm not looking for actual yoga session vids either, i'm not looking to start yoga (just wanna get into 1 of the 4 meditation asanas described in the ancient texts) I think you know what I'm getting at.

Sit on the ground and put the bottom of your feet together. Gently press your knees apart with your elbows and then lean forward with a very straight spine. Lean forward as far as you can and have that come from your hips rather than your upper body. The closer your feet are to the body the more it stretches. It will hurt on the inside of your legs.

Be very careful with trying full lotus prematurely though, you can permanently damage your knees easily.

I was once able to do it but it hurt for some time afterwards and so I stopped doing it in time, luckily. Don't force anything!

For meditation to become more comfortable (and that's very important) I would recommend a cork Yoga block to sit on, you can get one for ten bucks.

Not stretching is a huge liability on your health though and you should do it every day for some time before you get problems.

Look into Maha Mudra, it is the only stretch you'll ever need.
Hurts like hell through :D

Why not half-lotus? Much more comfortable and less straining on your knees.

I am myself, heaven and hell.