khalifa

Unable To Find My Life Purpose

5 posts in this topic

Everyone has been spouting the typical cliche

'do what makes you happy advice'

'do what you like to do'

'do what you enjoy doing'

Here's my problem.. for example :

I like eating food, that doesn't mean i want to cook food for a living.

I like watching movies or listening to music, that doesn't mean i want to be an actor or want to be a singer or an artist.

I like playing video games casually from time to time, that doesn't mean i want to do some programming to create some.

I like watching some youtube videos, that doesn't mean i want to do some video editing or become a youtuber eventually..

I'm 25 years old, Where on earth do i go from here..?

My life experience so far has been :

I had a contract for mechanical engineering for airport maintenance with a company for years, they got bankrupt and they kicked us all out batch of 200+ students. I'm back in university now just finished my 1st year 3 years to go ( i picked engineering because i seem to motivated by money sadly, and i want to just generally help people out in the future by creating something useful or repairing something for their everyday lives)

Although let me be honest i really hate studying engineering. I'm only doing this because i want to be useful in life.

Am i possibly going down the wrong road ? It feels like i may regret it who knows.. I'm not exactly passionate about anything in life because i'm lazy when it comes to doing anything honestly.. [typically i just want to live life carefree, not worrying about bills or managing life in stress]

Edited by khalifa
forgot to add more details

@khalifa  Take first another goal. 

You have to become free from the 5 deepest, strongest and oldest impressions; food, sleep, sex, fear and laziness.

When you have become free from these impressions then you will know what your real purpose in life is.

Do pranayamas, meditation, yoga, good sleep (7/8 hours) and healthy food (filling stomach 60%).

Do this 6 weeks and avoid too much TV and computer stuff. Read knowledge books instead.

You`ll find out! 9_9

Edited by Henri

@khalifa i would advise to start with your body (really the only 'thing' you truly own). Get fit. Furthermore...you already said what you want.

" i want to just generally help people out "

That's a very noble goal. Go for it. Don't limit yourself to engineering.

About living carefree and not worrying about bills etc. You're absolutely right. Remember...a man/woman is rich when all his/her desires are met. İf you desire a ferrari or a bike...makes a huge difference. A minimalistic lifestyle is a bliss.

@khalifa I think you are doing great. You are dong what is natural for you. Focus on studying. Likes and dislikes are subjetive and will change during our life. Now you may be thinking about how you hate to study that, tomorrow you may think you have a job so you can provide for yourself and familiy. Studying and working are not leisure activities, You dont have to like or dislike them just do them. Engineering is good because you will have tools for many jobs, no only engineering. Lastly being motivated by money is sad only if you think it is. Think about it and find if you really think it is sad. To me is as good motivation as love and happiness.

@khalifa You have to  go deeper into your thoughts ;)

For example, Video Games - Why do you like video games? Is it the challenge? Do you like to play to get better than your friends and get an approval from them that "you are better than them"?

Watching movies/series, what feeling does it give to you? Do you get inspired, do you get jealous and why does that occur?

I loved playing Video Games, it was a nice waste of time. But the true enjoyment I received from playing online games was the challenges, and eventually I got social approval from friends due to me becoming better than them in many games, which also was an enjoyment.

Therefore I can come to the conclusion the enjoyment I received from playing games, and getting good at them.  Was challenging myself over and over to eventually get to the next level and buy that super cool rainbow sword ;) 

And do note that just because you find enjoyment in some things, doesn't mean that it's your life purpose.