winterknight

The only real cure to procrastination (it’s not “just do it!”)

31 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Maybe completing small steps pulls your attention back to analyzing and choosing.

That's right. But not just that. I feel very motivated at first, but then I put some work and I don't see results, so I get demotivated. Maybe I should work on having a big vision?

54 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

That's right. But not just that. I feel very motivated at first, but then I put some work and I don't see results, so I get demotivated. Maybe I should work on having a big vision?

What is motivation? Yes I like to have a big vision 

1 minute ago, DrewNows said:

What is motivation?

A feeling of excitement about something due to thought-stories.

14 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

A feeling of excitement about something due to thought-stories.

Doesn’t even really seem necessary huh? I mean unless we are always spinning thought stories and getting attached in these confused states 

5 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Doesn’t even really seem necessary huh? I mean unless we are always spinning thought stories and getting attached in these confused states 

Practicality speaking, we don't live in the wild. We're only able to pay the bills because we're able to utilise our imagination. Animals are not humans because they don't have the imagination required.

10 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

Practicality speaking, we don't live in the wild. We're only able to pay the bills because we're able to utilise our imagination. Animals are not humans because they don't have the imagination required.

Are you saying a quiet mind is that of an animal? You are your imagination...if there is confusion then there is separation within 

8 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Are you saying a quiet mind is that of an animal? You are your imagination...if there is confusion then there is separation within 

I'm not sure where you are going with this conversation.

We were talking about procrastination and how to solve it practically. This is not a quest for Truth.

31 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

I'm not sure where you are going with this conversation.

We were talking about procrastination and how to solve it practically. This is not a quest for Truth.

Sorry dude, procrastination isn’t a problem to be “fixed” just like every other psychological issue, but simply to be understood. Figuring out what is  happening there and then it will no longer be something to struggle with 

Edited by DrewNows

Good video.

However, I think the critical moment is when you are just about to do it. Or you become conscious of (what I call the "key breaking point") the limit to your comfort zone. Sometimes the only thing we don't want to do is to just get started. Once started however it might be the exact thing we want to do. For example procrastinating on a book you're writing. Once you actually get started it is what you love and you experience creative flow. However, getting started is the difficult part – so there has to be a breaking of comfort zone.

This is quite a orange-stage thinking but in the subject of procrastination this actually works. If you wanna solve that 'problem'...

Edited by QandC

- Enter your fear and you are free -

22 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

@winterknight

How do you know you won't change after you have known what you want? I mean suppose I find out what I really want according to my feelings, what if procrastination becomes the case again? What if I stop feeling good from what I really want?

Then your desires have changed, or perhaps your understanding of them needs to be refined. Of course that can happen. It’s a continuous process of learning and adaptation.

22 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I love you man.  Keep up the excellent work.  You're a person I just wanna here more from.  A person who truly has emotional mastery and love, intelligence and a genius modesty.  You're living it man.  Good for you.  You inspire us.  You're a true Brahman.  A teacher to mankind.

Thank you. Glad to be of service. 

18 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

How do you deal with situations in which you are not given the luxury of doing what you want? 

A lot of my life is just sitting around doing nothing. As if I want to be lazy. This does not work in the real world. 

Often times the path to getting what you want is a path filled with doing what you don't want. 

And it's even harder when what you want to do dramatically changes all the time. 

I wouldn’t worry about what some random person does or does not have the luxury of doing. Your situation is the important one for you. If you don’t want to do the things that it would take to get what you want — you’re conflicted, and those conflicting emotional voices must be heard, so that they can be integrated into a higher understanding of your desire. Psychoanalysis is very useful for this, though it takes time and effort.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

9 hours ago, seeking_brilliance said:

@winterknight I get what you are saying. and if I could give up my worldly possessions and live on the land and the good graces of other people, or join a monastery, or something similar, this would make perfect sense. But most of my procrastination stems from things that I don't have a choice in doing- like paying bills, housework, things that NEED to be done at the business, and things that I fear to do. 

Of course I could say that I don't want to do those things, but then my life would unravel around me. Personally  I'd be ok with it, but there are too many people that depend on me to just stop doing these things that I procrastinate on. So IMO I feel like this advice is only suited towards certain lifestyles...

You have to start listening and expressing to the inner voices which don’t want to do all these routine things that you feel you must do. They must be heard and felt. Because the truth is that you have conflicting desires: on the one hand not to let people down, and on the other not to be trapped into routine. And even those desires may have deep unconscious roots in childhood, so may go much further than the way I’ve just phrased it. When through psychoanalysis or through intense emotional journaling or other work like that you get in touch with these conflicting emotions, you may be able to see that they are facets of a larger picture, a richer desire which might be able to accommodate them both. 

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self