Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill W

Values - Open mindedness

14 posts in this topic

I'm working on values at the moment. For me, it's easy to embody a value from the comfort of my own home, or when I am out laying in the grass with the sun on my face, or when I am at retreat or similar venue.

But then life intrudes. My craziness (ego?) shows itself to a level dependent upon the level of craziness (ego?) I bump into in the outside world. For me, holding myself to my values and demonstrating these values on the "front line" of life is FREEDOM, I can be Viktor Frankl.

What do you guys think of my template below? Do you have anything to add, or anything to discuss on open mindedness?

I have other values in the style of the below template that I could post down the line if this thread ends up getting any interest. 

Open mindedness

Quote "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation" - Herbert Spencer 

Definitions, meanings and thinking elements     

• Willingness to try new things

• Willingness to consider new ideas

• Reserve judgement until all the relevant facts have been established

• Don’t jump to conclusions

• Don’t assume

• Awareness that every person is a potential teacher

• Awareness that every situation could be a learning opportunity

• Awareness and reflection on your prejudices

Behavioural elements

• Be careful with speculation and gossip

• Watch out for acting on impulse, if there is time available before you want to act, think about taking advantage of this time

• Body language congruent with keeping an open mind

• Not jumping straight into defensive or argumentative mode

• Admit mistakes and areas for development

• Self-correcting of unhelpful or inaccurate judgemental processes and attitudes

What you might need to let go of........

Blame, Judgement, Denial, Being Correct, Hypocrisy, Self-Righteousness, Pride, Entitlement, Greed, Selfishness, Intolerance, Wanting To Control, Wanting To Manipulate, Demands, Getting Revenge, Being Defensive.

Questions to ask…………

Am I sure?

Am I stepping outside of not-knowing mind?

Have I taken something personally?

Are my demands out of touch with reality?

What prejudices might I hold about this situation? 

Have I already made up my mind here, or am I open to a different way?

Can I just clarify that these comments are about the Value Open mindedness, and they all relate to that value?

16 minutes ago, Flatworld Crusades said:

Can I just clarify that these comments are about the Value Open mindedness, and they all relate to that value?

Yes. It's my understanding of open mindedness. An instruction manual so to speak. Putting it out there to see if anyone else has anything that I can hijack for my own purposes! 

26 minutes ago, Bill W said:

I'm working on values at the moment. For me, it's easy to embody a value from the comfort of my own home, or when I am out laying in the grass with the sun on my face, or when I am at retreat or similar venue.

But then life intrudes. My craziness (ego?) shows itself to a level dependent upon the level of craziness (ego?) I bump into in the outside world. For me, holding myself to my values and demonstrating these values on the "front line" of life is FREEDOM, I can be Viktor Frankl.

What do you guys think of my template below? Do you have anything to add, or anything to discuss on open mindedness?

I have other values in the style of the below template that I could post down the line if this thread ends up getting any interest. 

Open mindedness

Quote "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation" - Herbert Spencer 

Definitions, meanings and thinking elements     

• Willingness to try new things

• Willingness to consider new ideas

• Reserve judgement until all the relevant facts have been established

• Don’t jump to conclusions

• Don’t assume

• Awareness that every person is a potential teacher

• Awareness that every situation could be a learning opportunity

• Awareness and reflection on your prejudices

Behavioural elements

• Be careful with speculation and gossip

• Watch out for acting on impulse, if there is time available before you want to act, think about taking advantage of this time

• Body language congruent with keeping an open mind

• Not jumping straight into defensive or argumentative mode

• Admit mistakes and areas for development

• Self-correcting of unhelpful or inaccurate judgemental processes and attitudes

What you might need to let go of........

Blame, Judgement, Denial, Being Correct, Hypocrisy, Self-Righteousness, Pride, Entitlement, Greed, Selfishness, Intolerance, Wanting To Control, Wanting To Manipulate, Demands, Getting Revenge, Being Defensive.

Questions to ask…………

Am I sure?

Am I stepping outside of not-knowing mind?

Have I taken something personally?

Are my demands out of touch with reality?

What prejudices might I hold about this situation? 

Have I already made up my mind here, or am I open to a different way?

Under definitions, meanings, and thinking elements you have a number of statements that seem to mean the same thing. For example, to me," willingness to try new things and willingness to consider new ideas" have the same outcome. Perhaps you could condense the number of elements currently in there, to make way for different statements. 

Just an idea. 

3 minutes ago, Flatworld Crusades said:

Under definitions, meanings, and thinking elements you have a number of statements that seem to mean the same thing. For example, to me," willingness to try new things and willingness to consider new ideas" have the same outcome. Perhaps you could condense the number of elements currently in there, to make way for different statements. 

Just an idea. 

Thanks. Yes, you are right. I don't want these templates to contain more words than what is required, so it's an aim of mine to keep them simple and to the point, so thanks. 

@Bill W This is fantastic.  If all of us can embody these things in our every day life the world would be so much better.

One thing i would add is to gain the ability to jump between perspectives.  If you disagree with someone - step back and take their perspective for a moment.  There are probably very valid reasons or at least to the person as to why their perspective is what it is.  This understanding of other perspectives can lead to great wisdom, understanding, and compassion.  Afterall there are only perspectives in Reality.  Reality is subjective not objective.

And you can't change someone else's perspective, you can only offer your own if they are willing to listen.  Likewise they can offer their own to you. In the end It is up to the person themselves what their perspective is.  

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Bill W

Thank you so much for the insights. I have never thought this much about open-mindedness.

I personally like to keep things simple. To me, open-mindedness basically boils down to two main things:

• Being humble.
  • Being willing to learn.

Humility comes either from deep suffering, or from love and compassion.

Willingness to learn comes from the desire to grow and satisfy the self and others.

Also, I'd like to stress the importance of meditation and mindfulness practices. They can be of great value to your everyday life, and their benefits have no end.

And as for the forgetfulness, I think it's fine. Everyone loses focus from time to time, just observe, acknowledge, and be honest with yourself. Everything will work itself out for ya!

❤️

2 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

This is fantastic.  If all of us can embody these things in our every day life the world would be so much better.

Thanks for taking an interest. If we embodied all those things ALL the time, we could be in the top 1% of the entire planet in open mindedness! Although saying that makes me sound cocky and narrow minded! I think open mindedness is something most people seem to assume they have. But at the first sign of trouble they may abandon the open mind and close it off to "win" the battle or argument!

2 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

@Bill W

Thank you so much for the insights. I have never thought this much about open-mindedness.

I personally like to keep things simple. To me, open-mindedness basically boils down to two main things:

• Being humble.
  • Being willing to learn.

Thanks for this. Yeh, in terms of keeping things simple, I am quite obsessive and worry about what I might "leave out" that is crucial, so I end up usually putting in too much (be it in writing, or in talking!). 

@Bill W out of curiosity how many values do you hold? Do you have beliefs as well, or are they contained in the templates?

@Flatworld Crusades

8 minutes ago, Flatworld Crusades said:

@Bill W out of curiosity how many values do you hold? Do you have beliefs as well, or are they contained in the templates?

Great question. The values I am really focusing on trying to convey and actually display are.....

Open mindedness, Humility, Compassion, Forgiveness, Gratitude, Honesty and Faith/Courage (I have these two values as completely intertwined). I have other templates for these values. I am a making lists/plans kind of person!!! I like to have a blueprint. 

I struggle to articulate my beliefs actually. I'd have to be asked specifically by someone for me to stand a chance to answer this. 

@Bill W Deep and complex thinking is a stage Yellow quality ;)

I think it still is beneficial to find the commonalities between the factors and conclude them in very short and precise sentences so that they become easier to remember. It helps me a lot. Whenever I need to know what to do, I just remind myself of the sentences, and then they take care from there on.

To me, 100% honesty has solved many many problems. Of course it does not necessarily have to be a 100% with others, but it certainly must be 100% with yourself.

Since all problems are imaginary = lies. Then honesty must be the cure.

@Truth Addict

14 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

@Bill W Deep and complex thinking is a stage Yellow quality ;)

To me, 100% honesty has solved many many problems. Of course it does not necessarily have to be a 100% with others, but it certainly must be 100% with yourself.

For sure, and it took me years, and years, and more years to know what self-honesty is. I'm still learning. 

Without it, you can misdiagnose every problem you have. 

In my experience, some people do need support with this. Some will think "self-honesty, yep, I can check that box, it's not a problem. I don't cheat on my wife, I don't cheat on my tax returns, and I never shoplift". Some people genuinely don't know what self-honesty is.

It can be a painful place in the early days, reflecting on past behaviour and looking at your own role in past events and current conflict with others. It can be difficult for some to work on self-honesty without a guide, as I think the instinctive survival mode in us can resist it, especially if that person is already at rock bottom.

Thanks for the chat on this.