Peter124

Advice for getting an art job before entering an art collage course?

6 posts in this topic

I'm a 19 year old artist, I'm looking for a job. 

I've had the idea of trying to get a job that would include me using my (pretty good) artistic skills since trying to get a conventional job isn't really working out for me. 

ATS machines and how robotic mechanical and how stress inducing, depressing and seemingly hopeless the employment process seems given my little experience so far, 

Had everything feeling like a nightmare so far. Especially given the added stress of my parents telling me to try to get a job is.

To be honest, I've tried mostly applying through online means. Mostly using Indeed. 

I keep figuring out there's flaws in my resumes that destroyed my past application attempts 

And that I wasted those opportunities. 

And this has been happening since high school. For the past 3-4 years.

That said, I have been fortunate enough to have some opportunities so I know I can be hired but still, I squandered both opportunities and it feels still that I'm a peg below most in my chances because of my limited experience. 

So, I'm wondering maybe since Art is a definitive skill I do have, even though I'm not in an Arts program (yet, I want to go to collage for animation so I can become a show and (short and feature length) film animator which is amongst my other goals in life career wise and otherwise.

So, I'm curious is there a way for me to get hired somewhere with my skills, body of work (which I can create a portfolio out of if need be) and at this age and point in my life? 

What kinds of places can I apply and how can I get hired? 

Has anyone had experience in doing this they can share advice from? 

Thanks. 

Make a bunch of art, go to upwork, and get gigs, until you land a fulltime. you can do it all in less than 3-4 months if you already have a decent portfolio 

my friend got a fulltime in 2 weeks so thats what im working on right now 

after learning about different ways to make money i feel people over-exaggerate how hard it is to get decent paying full-time jobs. but i guess it's a lack of knowledge and belief. this market is so fuckin good for jobs rn at least in usa 

http://prntscr.com/nupnre

as someone who's done hiring before, I can confirm that was exactly what I was looking for to be convinced to hire people 

Edited by d0ornokey

On 5/28/2019 at 6:57 PM, Peter124 said:

I'm a 19 year old artist, I'm looking for a job. 

I've had the idea of trying to get a job that would include me using my (pretty good) artistic skills since trying to get a conventional job isn't really working out for me. 

ATS machines and how robotic mechanical and how stress inducing, depressing and seemingly hopeless the employment process seems given my little experience so far, 

Had everything feeling like a nightmare so far. Especially given the added stress of my parents telling me to try to get a job is.

To be honest, I've tried mostly applying through online means. Mostly using Indeed. 

I keep figuring out there's flaws in my resumes that destroyed my past application attempts 

And that I wasted those opportunities. 

And this has been happening since high school. For the past 3-4 years.

That said, I have been fortunate enough to have some opportunities so I know I can be hired but still, I squandered both opportunities and it feels still that I'm a peg below most in my chances because of my limited experience. 

So, I'm wondering maybe since Art is a definitive skill I do have, even though I'm not in an Arts program (yet, I want to go to collage for animation so I can become a show and (short and feature length) film animator which is amongst my other goals in life career wise and otherwise.

So, I'm curious is there a way for me to get hired somewhere with my skills, body of work (which I can create a portfolio out of if need be) and at this age and point in my life? 

What kinds of places can I apply and how can I get hired? 

Has anyone had experience in doing this they can share advice from? 

Thanks. 

What if you built a social media following for you art on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, and then offered group classes over Zoom or Discord to your followers @ $20-$40 per 1-2 hour class. And if you get 15 people in each class, you'd make $300-$600 just for the amount of time creating the curriculum and the 1-2 hours that you'd be teaching it. You could also offer one-on-one lessons.

So, you can do workshops on how to work with certain types of media like acrylics, ceramics, gouache, airbrush, etc.. You can do workshops on how to draw realistically. How to come up with creative ideas for art. etc.

Do you feel like you're able to create a solid curriculum and teach and convey what you know and have skills in? If so, there are people out there that will want that service, especially if they enjoy your artwork that they found through social media platforms. 

Edited by Emerald

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

11 hours ago, Emerald said:

What if you built a social media following for you art on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, and then offered group classes over Zoom or Discord to your followers @ $20-$40 per 1-2 hour class. And if you get 15 people in each class, you'd make $300-$600 just for the amount of time creating the curriculum and the 1-2 hours that you'd be teaching it. You could also offer one-on-one lessons.

So, you can do workshops on how to work with certain types of media like acrylics, ceramics, gouache, airbrush, etc.. You can do workshops on how to draw realistically. How to come up with creative ideas for art. etc.

Do you feel like you're able to create a solid curriculum and teach and convey what you know and have skills in? If so, there are people out there that will want that service, especially if they enjoy your artwork that they found through social media platforms. 

My domain is mostly in drawing, marker art and a small little bit of painting. 

I can definitely do some research on Zoom and Discord. Thanks. 

@Peter124 Build and publish a first class portfolio that shows who you are through your art.

unborn Truth