GoldenAge Philosopher

Do I sacrifice happiness for work?

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone and thanks Leo for providing this forum for us to express ourselves! A certain issue which I'm currently facing is finding work to start my career path. I study mechanical engineering and I have been attending my university's career fairs since freshman year of college. How can I distinguish myself from other students? I am part of many organizations on campus and have my own blog which I have been running for about a year now. I feel as though finding a well paying job is like a lottery these days where employers pick out resumes and applications out of a hat. I would like some suggestions if I should try to find a part time job in a local shop which is not quite related to engineering or just continue waiting and applying to as many companies as I can and let luck play its course?

I mean when you don't know how, find out how. Have you tried reading up on how to get a job? I recommend you read "Think and Grow Rich" even though its not primarily focused on getting a job. Although it teaches quite a bit about it.

What is it you want to do with your life?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Well I want to do many things long term, but as for the moment right now I just want to experience what it means to work in an engineering firm. Specifically, either the automotive industry or work related to infrastructure. My list for long term pursuits is longer than my short term. Really the ultimate thing I would like to do though is offer assistance to underdeveloped nations with their infrastructure concerns and allow them to integrate their own culture with the technology that I would offer. I don't see success based on money, but I see success when people around me are happy. Basically, my preference is based on quality over quantity. I also like writing which is quite a rarity with most people that want to be engineers. I hope this offers some insight on the type of person I am.

@GoldenAge Philosopher This is what happened to me, I thought math and working with numbers was the greatest thing ever. I became a QC inspector for Boeing. Then I became so miserable, because it just became so repetitive an boring, Then I quit and went to culinary school, became a chef at Disneyland, then I quit that because of all of the how my plate that took me 15 minutes to make would just get tossed out if it was sitting in the warmer for more than 2 minutes. All because someone else didn't finish their plate on time. Plus Disneyland had a bunch of politics and drama. 

I then started to do Webdesign started my own business and haven't looked back.

In hence from my experience is that you will not know how great the job/career will be until you are actually working. Even if you are making lots of money but if you are miserable get the f out. It will eat your life away and you will just be miserable with your family and friends. You'll hate your life man. 

Your young try different careers and see which one you like.  You'll find the right one, but just focus on one at a time, don't be bouncing around mid school year focusing on another one.

Hopefully I helped, if so give me thumbs up...

@GoldenAge Philosopher Finding a good job has little to do with luck. As an employer, I can tell you, the quality of applications that I look at is generally so poor that 1 in 100 people is worth hiring. It's not hard to stand out from that pack if you are committed to excellence and passionate about what you do. Most people are so mediocre and sloppy, sigh...

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@GoldenAge Philosopher Finding a good job has little to do with luck. As an employer, I can tell you, the quality of applications that I look at is generally so poor that 1 in 100 people is worth hiring. It's not hard to stand out from that pack if you are committed to excellence and passionate about what you do. Most people are so mediocre and sloppy, sigh...

It upsets me how careless people are. Mediocrity and sloppiness is the norm, at least where I'm from. 

One of my goals is to change the world, to transform a person's life of mediocrity to a life of purpose. 

Edited by Argue

@GoldenAge Philosopher your title wasn't connecting with your question but i will try to answer it anyway.

"Do I sacrifice happiness for work?" by @GoldenAge Philosopher

David hume and John Mill: NO!
Immanuel Kant: YES!
Max Scheler: what are you guys talking about?

and the 4th philosopher world-war just started!

@Arguei have two questions:-

On 2/9/2016 at 7:26 AM, Argue said:

It upsets me how careless people are. Mediocrity and sloppiness is the norm, at least where I'm from. 

One of my goals is to change the world, to transform a person's life of mediocrity to a life of purpose. 

1- define both Mediocrity and sloppiness.

2- and how is that different from his first step of planing from his question then your goal?

There is a lot of competition for jobs these days. Just applying for them isn't enough. Employers like to see passion and experience. So find ways to illustrate passion and get some experience. That's how you can stand out from others.

People think it's as simple as: get degree > apply for job. It isn't, Millions of people are doing this every day. So employers can afford to raise the bar and be as picky as they like. And they are.

What you need to do is: get degree > get forms of experience > get involved in industry in other ways to demonstrate passion > apply for lots of jobs

The problem is that with so many people chasing so few vacancies there is always someone more experienced than you. So you need to take more action and do more than just 'get the certificate'. Having a qualification doesn't prove to an employer that you are competent, capable and committed to the job.

Most of all, be persistent.

Edited to add:

Also be flexible. Look further afield and be willing to make sacrifices. Don't let others hold you back. And ditch any limiting beliefs..

Edited by FindingPeace

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

Is mechanical engineering something you wanted to do or just because you thought it might be "a good job"? I recently graduated as mechanical engineer and from my experience it is not very hard to set your self apart. Most student don't give a crap and chose only it because it seemed to have good career opportunities. The more you know about what you want to do the easier it will be finding a good job. Mechanical engineering is a really diverse  study so know what you want. Remember, industries are having a really hard time right now and they need to have good people on their side. Make it your mission to use whatever talent you have/can develop to help a company and they will be begging to have you. Talent is hard to find after all. Here's some practical things that will help you:

- Get good grades and do your homework (seriously it's important, most people don't).

- Find out what you really like/want as your career can be extremely broad from designing to management to innovation to technical sales.

- Be active with your teachers as they often have good connections to the working life

- Make your work matter, lot on companies are too busy to work at non-productive work, as a student do this for them and they will love you.

- Always develop your skills, especially people skills are something most engineers lack, listening is the most important by far!

- Get good grades (really, it's not a conspiracy to fool you and make you a slave to the machine).

Here's my experience. Late in my studies I realized I wish to be a top talent in designing and innovation. Times are getting harder so I wish to make a serious impact on my industry, peoples jobs are dependent on successful engineering and development. I studied as hard as I could and think in the end I was in the top 5 of my class. After graduation it took couple months to find my current job as I was picky about what I wanted to do. I work for a small engineering company developing copper-production machines and I love every bit of it. After a few years I will have to choose whether I want to be a better engineer or start studying business further. In any case, it's a dream career so far :D

In short, be that guy the employer want, it's not that hard in the end, have skills and be a nice  person. You wont be a clog in the machine, you will be the engine!

I hope that was some use to you.

@GoldenAge Philosopher

In order to distinguish yourself from other students, you need to find out what you are best at. I am sure that mechanical engineering covers many subjects , what is it that you like the most ? For ex - Is it fluid mechanics or thermodynamics ? If you really are into fluid mechanics(let's say) , then try building up concepts, look out for their practical applications. The rest will follow.

Keep applying for jobs and in the meanwhile try to specialize in the topics which you find interesting!

Good luck