Psyche_92

Don't know whar to pursue.

6 posts in this topic

I basically don't know what path to take in my life. After doing the Life Purpose Course, i ended up wanting to become a psychologist/psychotherapist, but some stuff changed. I don't feel as much interest towards it as i used to do. 

I have some ideas, but mostly if i picture myself doing them long term i feel hesistant and end up feeling like it's not it. 

How do i find out? 

You need to think bigger. What excites you?

Also do you feel insecure about becoming a psychologist? Maybe you have a resistance because you feel like you cant do it. You can work on that resistance.

9 hours ago, Psyche_92 said:

How do i find out?

start doing it already. your long-term plans are obfuscating your short-term actions.

you're basically living in your mind and not actually doing what it takes to experience new things.

if you don't manage to come up with practical actions from your introspective moments, you'll end up like a mental zombie that fantasizes a lot but doesn't really live life.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

On 13-5-2019 at 9:15 PM, ajasatya said:

start doing it already. your long-term plans are obfuscating your short-term actions.

you're basically living in your mind and not actually doing what it takes to experience new things.

if you don't manage to come up with practical actions from your introspective moments, you'll end up like a mental zombie that fantasizes a lot but doesn't really live life.

Yes, you are 100% spot on. I just feel like it's already too late to experiment. I'm 26 and feel like it's time to get serious about my choices in life. My resume holds 3 different past jobs, and recruiters are already questioning on why i made certain choices, giving me weird faces because the jobs differ so much. Everything is build on security and safety all around. I want to experiment, but i feel like there is no room to do so. Everything feels like a long term commitment with no space for failure or change of direction to me. 

On 13-5-2019 at 5:10 PM, universe said:

You need to think bigger. What excites you?

Also do you feel insecure about becoming a psychologist? Maybe you have a resistance because you feel like you cant do it. You can work on that resistance.

No, i think if i'm really honest with myself, i just don't feel like i want to study for the degree. It's just not me. I have to force myself to do it. I don't know.

You do know. It's in there. Tell us more about what drew you to the idea of being a psychologist. And then maybe also say more about what making you think twice. Is it just the act of getting the degree and going through those motions? Or is it that you don't know if it'll be the right thing for you after having gone through all that effort/pain. 

I'd say for the moment there is decent clarity of what you don't want. Maybe shift your focus more on what you do want. And if that's difficult, because you lack the inspiration, motivation or whatever, then start by altering your immediate environment (including the way you think) to make it more conducive to inspiration, motivation, etc. There are ways to do this. Very practical stuff that you can decide to implement right now. If it seems like your current path is not producing that same effect, I suggest you shake up your routine. Try something new. Dare to dream differently. Allow yourself to create without expecting anything in return from your art.. whatever that art may be (we all have something to express). 

And if the financials are bothering you, be smart and establish something that will sustain you. Cut back on all your unnecessary spending. But that thing you do for work doesn't have to be the thing you do right now. Allow vocation to serve a different purpose for this phase of your life, and just earn enough for now. 

I fundamentally believe age doesn't matter in the game of reinventing your life. But jesus christ dude, you're only 26! 

If you want to discover the thing you're meant to do, then you may have to accept and honor the time it takes to get there. As old as you may feel, keep going, your journey has only just begun.