John Iverson

what is the comparison doing 10 minutes meditation VS 20-30 minutes VS 1hr

23 posts in this topic

It depends on what you want out of meditation, and your own mind. Usually, consistent longer sits will give people more benefits from meditation than sits with a shorter duration, yet again, this depends on the practitioner. Some people can sit for hours, but they may not be good at meditation, rather they're half asleep. In my opinion, it's best to do shorter meditation sits, with high concentration and mindfulness, than longer sits with little concentration and mindfulness. Eventually, one can expand the duration of the shorter sits. In short: just because you're having longer meditation sessions than another person, this doesn't automatically make you the better meditator. If you seek enlightenment or similar, then you most likely will need to do long focused sits, maybe even several hours a day. Practising mindfulness whenever you can, especially after your formal meditation sessions, generally increases your chances. The first years of meditation might be quite tough and painful, yet eventually, meditation stops becoming an act/a "doing", it will become a state of mind so to speak and like any learned skill it will become easier and more pleasant. The more focused time you put into this "skill", the faster you get results from meditation.

If you do 10 minutes a day, maybe try increasing the time slowly, or do two/multiple 10 minute sits a day and then increase those. What can it bring you? Peace of mind, insights, love... etc. but only you can find out for yourself ;)

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

46 minutes ago, iTommy said:

It depends on what you want out of meditation, and your own mind. Usually, consistent longer sits will give people more benefits from meditation than sits with a shorter duration, yet again, this depends on the practitioner. Some people can sit for hours, but they may not be good at meditation, rather they're half asleep. In my opinion, it's best to do shorter meditation sits, with high concentration and mindfulness, than longer sits with little concentration and mindfulness. Eventually, one can expand the duration of the shorter sits. In short: just because you're having longer meditation sessions than another person, this doesn't automatically make you the better meditator. If you seek enlightenment or similar, then you most likely will need to do long focused sits, maybe even several hours a day. Practising mindfulness whenever you can, especially after your formal meditation sessions, generally increases your chances. The first years of meditation might be quite tough and painful, yet eventually, meditation stops becoming an act/a "doing", it will become a state of mind so to speak and like any learned skill it will become easier and more pleasant. The more focused time you put into this "skill", the faster you get results from meditation.

If you do 10 minutes a day, maybe try increasing the time slowly, or do two/multiple 10 minute sits a day and then increase those. What can it bring you? Peace of mind, insights, love... etc. but only you can find out for yourself ;)

Great ☺️