RobinOntwikkeljezelf

I am confused about nutrition

5 posts in this topic

According to the guidelines of Leo's video on nutrition i follow the rules.

Meanwhile i am doing more research because i dont want to do things just because he said it.

2 things that i overlooked or that he just does not cover  :

-What about fried stuff? The obvious fried stuff is not healthy offcourse. But what about fries, fried in plant based oil for example.

-What about the grains. What i do now is checking the ingredients for GLUTEN and WHEAT.

If it doesnt contain those then i consider it as legit. 

For example the label says : "Whole grains" it does not say Wheaten or Gluten. Is it legit now according to leo's guidelines?

PS : Offcourse not long shelf life stiff mixed with chemicals. Im talking about those fresh sugar free bags of granola with whole grains, raisins, seeds and nuts.

I would love to have those as breakfast with almond milk but idk if i should.

Someone be my hero please,

Thanks, Robin De Muyer

Edited by RobinOntwikkeljezelf
Made it easier ro read

Research about Whole Food Plant-Based diet.

Experts advocating this diet, says whole grains are healthy, but oils are always unhealthy.

Be cautious with flour products, because they are easy to overeat. They have a high calorie density and are easily digested because flour is grinded into a powder.

Oils are bad because no other food have higher calorie density, and it is just empty calories. There are basically no vitamins, antioxidants, minerals or fiber in oil. Oils are a culprit to overweight and obesity in the western world.

Make it a rule to eat foods only in their natural shape.

Most people don't have any issues with gluten.

Be cautious with dried fruits, nuts and seeds. They can be healthy but easy to overeat because of their high calorie density.

Plant-based milks can be okay if they are free from oils and sugar.

@Swede Excellent points over there ! 

@RobinOntwikkeljezelf

14 hours ago, RobinOntwikkeljezelf said:

What about fried stuff? The obvious fried stuff is not healthy offcourse. But what about fries, fried in plant based oil for example.

Generally you want to fry as little as possible. Plant oils (especially nut and seed oils) are the worst for frying because they rancidify quickly and become free radicals (molecules that wreak havoc in your body, "steal" electrons, render other molecules uselesss and have potential to damage DNA cells). Frying produces acrylamides (in carbs) a known carcinogens. Frying meat also produces PAH's (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) which when inhaled are again carcinogens :| If you have to fry, use saturated oils (coconut, palm, animal fat). That being said you can use nut and seed oils but put them on top of your salads, don't fry on them. Bear in mind that 1 tbsp of oil has 120 of mostly empty calories give-or-take

EDIT: you'd be surprised that for most meals you don't need to fry on oil and can only use water. For meat products you probably do but for any plant foods, water is as good, it only takes a bit longer and you have to make sure to splash in some more every now and then to prevent burning ;)

What about the grains. What i do now is checking the ingredients for GLUTEN and WHEAT.

Wholegrains > processed grains. Gluten is only damaging if you have sensitivity to it or are Celiac, otherwise there is no evidence to suggest it being harmful although abuse of it may trigger some gene expression over years in those genetically predisposed and start causing problems. 

Offcourse not long shelf life stiff mixed with chemicals. Im talking about those fresh sugar free bags of granola with whole grains, raisins, seeds and nuts.

You are better of making granola yourself. Just mix (with hands) bunch of chopepd seeds, nuts, oats and some banana to keep it together and bake them for 25 minutes on 180 degrees and you got yourself sugar-free, chemical-free granola :)  Don't be afraid of seeds & nuts, your body does not use polyunsaturated fats from these foods to store in fat reserves (unless you significantly overeat), they are used to stabilise your cells and produce steroid hormones....saturated fats are more likely to make you fat .  Of course doesn't mean eating 200g of nuts every day, a handful is perfectly fine.  

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Macadamia nut oil is supposed to be a good one for up to 400 degrees, it's got a lot of saturated fat. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

3 hours ago, mandyjw said:

Macadamia nut oil is supposed to be a good one for up to 400 degrees, it's got a lot of saturated fat.

True there is some decent SF content but still a high monounsaturated ratio, probably as much as 50% that would rancidify quickly...but maybe not :) 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus