Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NickC

Guidelines for Life coaching?

6 posts in this topic

I am interested in offering 1-on-1 skype sessions to people who visit my youtube channel. I would like to offer these sessions as coaching session. A lot of what I talk about on my channel is how to work with anxiety, etc. Is a life coach legally able to work with clients in these areas without being a licensed mental health professional? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

More than having a license, I think what is more important is YOU having an experience to share. 

"Why should I listen to you over hundreds of other life coaches?"

"What makes you credible for me to follow your advice?"

These are a few questions, a potential client of yours will have !

Edited by Pras

Hey Nick, I think there's no legal problem to offer consultation, but it would be best to give a disclaimer that you're not a licensed mental health professional and that the information on your videos are for educational purposes only and not for treatment.

I review self-help courses to find out which ones are good and not good: propelyourwealth.com

You just need to claim you arent a professional and thus all advise you give needs to be taken loosely. You legally must mention this to your client.

My sister is a yoga instructor and personal trainer with all kinds of licenses and she said when it comes to nutrition and anything even getting close to medical advice, you must be clear that you are making suggestions, not prescribing or telling them what to do. I believe that a nicely worded disclaimer will do, but I'd research more or ask a life coach with more experience.

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

On 3/17/2019 at 3:23 PM, NickC said:

I am interested in offering 1-on-1 skype sessions to people who visit my youtube channel. I would like to offer these sessions as coaching session. A lot of what I talk about on my channel is how to work with anxiety, etc. Is a life coach legally able to work with clients in these areas without being a licensed mental health professional? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I have a YT channel, and I also have a coaching business. I just offer my services in life-coaching and allow the clients to pick whichever topics that they want to address. I've helped people with anxiety before. So, there is naturally going to be some cross-over with the field of psychology.

The main difference is that you're not qualified to treat any illnesses. Also, life coaching is about helping people reach goals primarily. So, mental health itself is not the goal, as in psychology. The goal is to remove barriers to be able to live the lives they want to live.

And you do so by facilitating exploration and asking questions.

So, what I did was to make sure that I had a coaching agreement for everyone to sign and I really stressed in the agreement that I'm not a psychologist and that life-coaching is not meant to treat any psychological illnesses. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org