Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
improvementedward

How do you find flow?

8 posts in this topic

I just finished reading Stealing Fire by Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal. It's all about the power of "ectasis"/finding flow. In particular, they define a "flow state" as any activity that is Selfless (ie dissolves the ego), Timeless (no sense of time), Effortless (it should feel effortless), and Rich (vivid and revealing).

I've definitely found flow doing outdoor adventure sports like snowboarding and mountain biking. I'm trying to find some new ways to incorporate flow into my life though, especially throughout the day in normal situations. How do you find flow? What activities or mental states help you get into that zone? I'm really eager to hear some new ideas!

@improvementedward Well the basic idea is anything that is challenging enough to occupy your full attention without being impossible. Doing any activity pushing near the limits of your attention and skill can produce flow. So if you do something successfully and don't go into flow it's too easy, and if you fail to do it it's too hard.

Edited by Markus

for me it is talking to a close friend on the phone, or being in a small group discussion. Also trail running is perfect, varied terrain, the nature of the activity is stable yet the novelty is high.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

going to the gym used to give me that but not as much anymore, ive always found sport is the best way. I used to play football but cant anymore because of injury so ive recently started boxing which feels really difficult because im not used to it but ideal to get into the flow because theres a lot to learn. 

Also i find having a good discussion or talk with friends or family, but im also finding ways to incorporate more flow, i think its one of the most important things in life as a whole and its definitely not talked about enough

Divorcing myself as much as possible from awareness related to content and going into an experience or perspective related to context. Finding and resting in the 'Oceanic experience',,,,  Sunday seems to be a good day especially for that although I've found it also can breathe new life into the middle of a stressful week as a way of reaffirming any previous realization about being or beingness.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

22 hours ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

Divorcing myself as much as possible from awareness related to content and going into an experience or perspective related to context. Finding and resting in the 'Oceanic experience',,,,  Sunday seems to be a good day especially for that although I've found it also can breathe new life into the middle of a stressful week as a way of reaffirming any previous realization about being or beingness.

@Zigzag Idiotcould you elaborate on this, how would you define the difference between these two states you mention?

@improvementedwardthe book didnt give you any killer ideas? I havent reaad it yet but intend to, do you recommend? 

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

16 minutes ago, montecristo said:
22 hours ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

@Zigzag Idiotcould you elaborate on this, how would you define the difference between these two states you mention?

I equate thinking with experience of content awareness and feeling with contextual awareness. Or more importantly the elimination of over-thinking and over-feeling but rather tapped into flow through an intuned intuitive gut response and acting from that.

On second thought, what I'm referring to relates both to a low ambition drive and stillness as well as a productive high ambition drive.

The description given by Markus is probably a little more relevant.

I just bought Leo's Booklist a couple of weeks ago and noticed the book Good Business by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi also wrote a book with the title FLOW. I was surprised that it was not recommended instead. But on the other hand, I have not read his book Good Business which may incorporate the ideas from his book Flow.

IMG_0503.JPG

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

'The flow' is always here.

You know you are in the flow because it feels good. I dont mean exctasy all day long but a subtle, healthy sensation in your being.

When you have two options, pick the one which makes you feel easy and light. A feeling of heaviness is against the flow.

It will take you a few weeks to resensitise yourself to these feelings, so be easy on yourself in the beginning.

The flow does mean being tired from time to time. Only go to bed when absolutly ready, eat only when you feel ready, everything is to be in the flow.

God has a unique flow for everyone. Follow it for a fun, interesting and magic life.