Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JTDolan

A well-researched guide on proper tongue posture. Little things like this matter.

11 posts in this topic

Sharing this since some of you might find this long read on proper tongue posture useful.

Commonly called "mewing" (named after Dr. Mike Mew), the practice basically involves retraining your brain to have your resting position be mouth closed, teeth lightly touching, and your tongue naturally resting on the roof of your mouth.

By correcting your tongue posture, you can pull your face forward, expand your palate, stop mouth breathing (which has been linked to 'long face,' poor posture, and other negative health effects), and overall have a more healthy-looking poise.

Proper tongue posture is nothing new. It's part of a greater orthodontic strategy known as myofunctional therapy. However, it's surprising how many people don't know what proper tongue posture even is. Many seem to think that resting your tongue on the floor of your mouth is "normal," when it actually causes what's known as "long face" and a recessed profile when coupled with mouth breathing.

I started mewing 2 months ago and got some good results

before:

knipper.PNGknipper2.PNG

after mewing for 2 months: 

73309164_416716049030397_3858042106928955392_n (1).jpg74320667_928175410873359_6917926879051644928_n.jpg72959510_555852768551201_6712054442125950976_n.jpg

After 1-2 weeks of concsiously practicing proper tongue posture, your subconscious adapts and you won't even have to think about it, while your results keep getting better over time. Your maxilla will keep pushing forward which will result in more pronounced cheekbones, more defined facial features; jawline, chin

Edited by JonasVE12

Mouth breathing is not just bad for your appearance, but also for your heath. xD

By breathing with your mouth you lose all the mechanisms of the nose which prepare air for admittance to the lungs.

16 minutes ago, JonasVE12 said:

I started mewing 2 months ago and got some good results

before:

knipper.PNGknipper2.PNG

after mewing for 2 months: 

73309164_416716049030397_3858042106928955392_n (1).jpg74320667_928175410873359_6917926879051644928_n.jpg72959510_555852768551201_6712054442125950976_n.jpg

After 1-2 weeks of concsiously practicing proper tongue posture, your subconscious adapts and you won't even have to think about it, while your results keep getting better over time. Your maxilla will keep pushing forward which will result in more pronounced cheekbones, more defined facial features; jawline, chin

Congratulations! :D

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing ! I call this Day 1 ^_^

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

23 minutes ago, Kidorikko said:

Congratulations! :D

Thanks! :) 

8 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing ! I call this Day 1 ^_^

Good luck! It will be a pain in the ass for the first week, and your tongue will probably get sore, but if you keep at it, you'll see some nice gains in your facial structure. After around a week you don't even have to think consciously about it anymore... Make sure you also put the back of your tongue on your palate. Also, you should research how to swallow correctly while mewing. You'll have to swallow while not using your cheeks, facial muscles. Lot's of videos on youtube with instructions on this. If you swallow correctly, you'll add some weight that's being pushed up on your palate 

@JonasVE12 thanks for tips! So do you kinda bend over your tongue backwards trying to go as far as you can back inside the throat while touching the upper hard palate? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

7 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

@JonasVE12 thanks for tips! So do you kinda bend over your tongue backwards trying to go as far as you can back inside the throat while touching the upper hard palate? 

This video should explain everything very clearly :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qaVGR68FKY

btw: this video will instruct you to chew gum. And a lot of other mewing instruction videos will tell you to do this. I did not do this.

Edited by JonasVE12

18 minutes ago, JonasVE12 said:
22 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

This video should explain everything very clearly :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qaVGR68FKY

Indeed it does, thanks a lot! 

Wow I'm surprised you posted this! I came across this technique about 6 months ago from my wife actually and she was researching Orthodontics. Luckily I have a strong jawline and straight teeth perfectly straight actually and after finding this guy you made a lot of sense wine because I've always been a clincher a gum chewer a beef jerky eater and I have this special ability with my tongue( that's what she said) where I can create a suction up against the roof of my mouth and then pull down and it makes the sound like a gun going off I've been able to do it since I was one and a half LOL and I've been scaring people to death in break rooms and cafeterias ever since LOL but I think it's contributed to my Straight jaw facial shape and teeth

I think to have a perfect face, jawline plays an important role. So if you consider doing tongue exercises, it will help you to get a chiseled jawline. I've tried few exercises and chewing gum too, which gave me better results. https://thejawline.net/does-chewing-gum-help-jawline/

Mewing can also help you to get a sharp jawline, but will definitely take some time.

Edited by komal