DocHoliday

Are You Afraid...?

46 posts in this topic

@DocHoliday be careful with what you call fear. What many people aren't aware of is that fear, as well as needs or wants, is fundamentally love. Just misguided by the fragmentation of ego. 

When taken further, your original meme seems to suggest that fear is the only source of motivation for overcoming fear... There's obviously something backwards about this, so I wanted to being this to your attention. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

So I'm going to jump in here with what might be a non-sequitur. I am slightly neurotic about the love/sex divide. It's not that there is a divide, if you divide it you are arguing, but there are higher forms of love, none of which matters, I am of course talking about pleasure. This post is about fear. The reward centre in the brain is split between a fear producing lobe and a combined fear and pleasure producing lobe according to the brain scientists, or at least a part of it is. It is called the amygdala which you can look up yourself. So fear is a natural part of pleasure. What do I fear. Well my mother is as you (making an assumption here) Americans call "White" so obviously I have a lot of respect for "White" people. However I have found that all the "White" women I have fancied have been racist. Nothing wrong with that, but they didn't even understand me at all. Why was/is that? Obvious really, I am a minority. There is probably less than a hundred people in the world with my cultural/biological ancestry and they are all quite young. This is one of the drawbacks of mixing. On the other hand, minorities can be very attractive. The aristocracy is a minority, so perhaps that wasn't the only reason. In reality it was my desire to be part of a larger group, to find similarities between myself and others, to overcome my fear. In the seventies feminists loved to talk about non-hierarchy being a female thing, completely glossing over the fact that anarchists had been preaching this for a minimum of some fifty years before, never mind the rest of human history. This lie came to the fore in the eighties, when they had to admit that like all social groups, women have their own hierarchy, which is not to say solidarity doesn't exist. The days of "White" supremacy are over. No woman wants to be put on a pedestal. Yet "White" women continue to be marketed as having an advantage. You cannot blame someone for making the most of what society expects from them, but you can try to set the record straight. I don't think "White" women are any more racist than anybody else, I just don't understand why only my mother really loves me. My father too. So in conclusion I think fear is a good thing as long as one recognises that it can either lead to rewards or punishment, and to be sophisticated about how one discerns the difference. Thank you.

I don't want to fear fear. I'm afraid of being afraid of being afraid.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

5 minutes ago, TheAvatarState said:

@DocHoliday be careful with what you call fear. What many people aren't aware of is that fear, as well as needs or wants, is fundamentally love. Just misguided by the fragmentation of ego. 

When taken further, your original meme seems to suggest that fear is the only source of motivation for overcoming fear... There's obviously something backwards about this, so I wanted to being this to your attention. 

@TheAvatarState I don't know, in some weird way of thinking about this, this might make sense. 

Obviously the point of motivation from which one might decide to overcome fear can be completely individual and different every time, that's correct. But I can't really see how you thus conclude that the meme suggested what you thought it suggested.

All that I wanted to get to with it is to point out the fact that if you wish to not fear anymore, you can't run away from it or distance yourself and thereby delude yourself into thinking that you now overcame it. It has to be invited in and accepted for what it is for it to be "elimiated".

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

@DocHoliday really think about the meme. It says "if you wish to get rid of fear." That is conceivably the first step in overcoming fear, no matter how you'd choose to go about it... 

6 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

if you wish to not fear anymore, you can't run away from it or distance yourself and thereby delude yourself into thinking that you now overcame it. It has to be invited in and accepted for what it is for it to be "elimiated".

And understood at a deep level. You make a great point, I find that true as well. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!