Rob

One trick to become immune to negative emotions

23 posts in this topic

Hi

My name is Rob and I've been doing personal development for a while now. Recently I read a book called: stop thinking, start living and after I've read it, it completely changed my life. Why? Because this book reveals one secret that will completely free you up from your negative emotions. So what is it? "Drum roll" 

Here we go: 

There's is something within us called: the healthy psychology functioning. We've all exprienced this, when everything just felt right and no negative thoughts are bubbling up. You feel peaceful and happy right in the moment. Maybe you had this feeling when you're out in nature, watching the leaves in the river floating down, or maybe you had it when you're just sitting still in a room. I'm making the claim that we're always in touch with this feeling. Then why some people are still unhappy? Reason NO.1: they're just not aware of it. They don't apriciate what's in front of them already. Reason NO.2: negative thoughts are in the way of your healthy psychology functioning. Your healthy psychology functioning is like a sealed bad full of air. If you push it down towards the bottom of the sea it will shoot straight up to ground level. Here, negative thoughts are like rocks, maybe sea weed that stops this bag from rising. So how do we get rid of the rocks and seaweed? We're lucky enough to have this unique skill: as humans, we have a natural tendency to dismiss thoughts. Imagine you're watching your favorite tv show, then all in a sudden your mind tells you: well what should I have for tomorrow's breakfast? What will you do after you've had that thought? You dismiss it right? No one really wanna spend time on something pointless, they would just go straight back to their TV show. So do you see what's happening here? If you can dismiss one thought why can't you dismiss another? Also you know what? Negative thoughts are the same story: THEY CAN BE DISMISSED JUST AS EASY. If you catch yourself thinking negatively, and just simply dismiss them without digging into them. Then that negative emotion will fade away into your healthy psychologfunctioning. Keep in mind: emotions will still be there, but after you dismissed the thought, the emotion will just become a feeling and it will fade away after a short while. As Leo said: thoughts triggers emotions. Then, can you see how powerful this technique can be? So my suggestion: DONT TAKE MY ADVISE ON FAITH, GO OUT AND TRY IT OUT. This is challenging to do in the first couple of weeks, but once you sync it all in your subconscious mind, man! You'll be much happier 

Finally I encourage you to read the book yourself, it's really hard to cover all the concepts here. 

Peace 

Rob

rea

I am happy you have found a way.  Now you have opened the possibility of deeper insights.

joy :)

37 minutes ago, walt said:

I am happy you have found a way.  Now you have opened the possibility of deeper insights.

joy :)

:D

Great tequnique

But excaly, it is the emotions that create your toughts, and you can change them beck with your thinking.

What you see and experience travel first trough your emotional brain and that to the rational brain witch you think with. This means that you get all emotional be for you think., so the emotions addicts the thinking. If you think conciously, that you can change the emotion in your body.

it is called "emotionsl buttons". The good think is that you can train you "emotional buttons" with things like vizualisation and affirmation. Meditation is also a good technique.

I can prove it to you

You have been scared because some one shocked you, right?

Example. "you are in a room doing something. Sundently a lion enters the room and you get shocked and you start turning your head and you body to the next window or dor and you start runing towards the window or dor before the lable "there is a lion in the room" enters your mind. This means that you react before you think"

You have experenced this

Someone comes behind you and start screaming and your body reacts in shock to diffend itself against that person that is screaming, and then is calmes down when you see that it's just your friend.

thanks for this interesting post.

now i understand better why i can't even motivate myself...i'm struggling in negative thoughts and i can't easily get out of this vicious circle. the most i try to motivate myself, the most i have negative thoughts, thinking i can't even motivate myself...

most of times you shouldn't think, just do it! without thinking anything. and then while you do it, you feel better. you have reached something: you have overcomed your negative thoughts!

(sorry for my english writing..i'm out of practice...:$)

good night and positive wishes :)

57 minutes ago, Lari_magika7 said:

thanks for this interesting post.

now i understand better why i can't even motivate myself...i'm struggling in negative thoughts and i can't easily get out of this vicious circle. the most i try to motivate myself, the most i have negative thoughts, thinking i can't even motivate myself...

most of times you shouldn't think, just do it! without thinking anything. and then while you do it, you feel better. you have reached something: you have overcomed your negative thoughts!

(sorry for my english writing..i'm out of practice...:$)

good night and positive wishes :)

What do you do when the emotions are too strong for you to think clearly? Or, what do you do when thinking can't overcome emotion, no wonder how much you try?

I have Misophonia, which means I have strong physiological reactions to specific noises, in particular: coughing, throat clearing, chewing food, sniffling, etc.

I've tried for year to use my thoughts to think through these tense everyday situations when my trigger sounds happen. They work only if I'm walking by or if I can leave the vicinity within a few minutes. If I have to be in a room with someone with a chronic cough, it's near impossible for me to stay calm. I do lash out, luckily, but I'm very tense. I can un-tense myself, but the ever looming thought that this person will cough again makes it hard to keep calm. It seems so silly, too. Why would someone coughing bother me so greatly? It's only a sound.

Does anyone have good advice to help with this? It's been a huge hindrance for me in the past, particularly whenever in a quiet crowd of people, like in school or at some music hall or seminar.

4 hours ago, NickOleksiak said:

What do you do when the emotions are too strong for you to think clearly? Or, what do you do when thinking can't overcome emotion, no wonder how much you try?

I have Misophonia, which means I have strong physiological reactions to specific noises, in particular: coughing, throat clearing, chewing food, sniffling, etc.

I've tried for year to use my thoughts to think through these tense everyday situations when my trigger sounds happen. They work only if I'm walking by or if I can leave the vicinity within a few minutes. If I have to be in a room with someone with a chronic cough, it's near impossible for me to stay calm. I do lash out, luckily, but I'm very tense. I can un-tense myself, but the ever looming thought that this person will cough again makes it hard to keep calm. It seems so silly, too. Why would someone coughing bother me so greatly? It's only a sound.

Does anyone have good advice to help with this? It's been a huge hindrance for me in the past, particularly whenever in a quiet crowd of people, like in school or at some music hall or seminar.

If that happens, drop all your thoughts, and feel into the emotion. Don't try to control it. Express yourself if you want. Try it out! Don't try to resist the emotion. Btw: 

You can dismiss the thought, but until you deal with whatever problem the thought is trying to get you to deal with, it will come back. Eventually you need to face the thought, ask what it is about the thought that is upsetting and follow it to the core belief that you need to get rid of. Then you will be free of those thoughts truly and permanently. 

On 10 February 2016 at 1:27 AM, Anicko said:

You can dismiss the thought, but until you deal with whatever problem the thought is trying to get you to deal with, it will come back. Eventually you need to face the thought, ask what it is about the thought that is upsetting and follow it to the core belief that you need to get rid of. Then you will be free of those thoughts truly and permanently. 

True, but sometimes we form negative thought on ordinary things. In that way we can dismiss the thought and gain some perspective on what we really need to do about the problem. 

@Rob, I'm so glad someone finally talks about negative thinking as one of the root causes of psychological distress. I went through "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" program 2 years ago, and the very 1st foundamental step (out of 12) that needed to be taken care of was negative thinking and stopping the negative thoughts. Some people recovered after completing just that one step. Like Leo said, there's a difference between depression and bad psychology. Oftentimes, changing the thinking process is just enough to feel fine.

I was completely recovered after the course - for about a year. But the treatment had to be repeated every now and then because human mind tends to go back to its negative habits as soon as it gets comfortable. Any cognitive treatment eventually stops working because human mind gets used to it. Same goes for Leo's videos. There're only so many times you can watch your favorite video until it stops being effective. So the search never stops even if you've found your magic pill for now.

I think an important distinction is between useful negative thoughts and rumination, which is excessive.  I would even go so far as to say that negative thoughts are good to have, but your emotional state has to be independent of them. This is the power of being able to realize that you are more than your emotions, the ability to be detached.

This is something I am currently learning how to tackle in better fashion as I feel this is my biggest challenge ATM. I am battling the inertia of negative thinking for a very long period of time and the battle is uphill for sure. I'm definitely going to give this a read. Thanks

All negative emotion barring techniques somehow revolve around this technique.I think the more you meditate ,practice mindfulness and work on your self,the better your power of dismissal becomes.You stop participating in your thoughts and you can independently observe them.This happens when you realize enlightenment .Thought control can not only help you dismiss emotions ,but make you master your psychology as your thoughts can make or break you

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."-Oscar Wilde

On 14 February 2016 at 10:11 AM, Natalya said:

@Rob, I'm so glad someone finally talks about negative thinking as one of the root causes of psychological distress. I went through "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" program 2 years ago, and the very 1st foundamental step (out of 12) that needed to be taken care of was negative thinking and stopping the negative thoughts. Some people recovered after completing just that one step. Like Leo said, there's a difference between depression and bad psychology. Oftentimes, changing the thinking process is just enough to feel fine.

I was completely recovered after the course - for about a year. But the treatment had to be repeated every now and then because human mind tends to go back to its negative habits as soon as it gets comfortable. Any cognitive treatment eventually stops working because human mind gets used to it. Same goes for Leo's videos. There're only so many times you can watch your favorite video until it stops being effective. So the search never stops even if you've found your magic pill for now.

True. 

or when you notice the thought begin to trigger the emotion, just remember "oh its just a thought", that's mindfulness:)

@Olafur Thorsteinsson here you put emotions, thoughts and instinct in one pot..

your examples illustrate instinct.. For this of course no thoughts come in (a mouse would also run away)

But try to be sad or angry without a story...

@Rob I'm not sure if it's healthy to avoid all the feelings you don't like.. Doing so you may miss a lot.. I'm either not sure that it will function in the long term.. Maybe it's better to observe your thoughts, notice where they come from, i'm sure after this you won't take them that seriouly.

And so you'll be able to acknoledge all the different colours of your feelings and enjoy them :).

On 9 March 2016 at 8:21 AM, MartineF said:

@Olafur Thorsteinsson here you put emotions, thoughts and instinct in one pot..

your examples illustrate instinct.. For this of course no thoughts come in (a mouse would also run away)

But try to be sad or angry without a story...

@Rob I'm not sure if it's healthy to avoid all the feelings you don't like.. Doing so you may miss a lot.. I'm either not sure that it will function in the long term.. Maybe it's better to observe your thoughts, notice where they come from, i'm sure after this you won't take them that seriouly.

And so you'll be able to acknoledge all the different colours of your feelings and enjoy them :).