CreamCat

Kim Jung Gi shows us how to apply mastery process and cure perfectionism.

10 posts in this topic

After watching Leo's videos about Mastery and Perfectionism, I didn't know how to apply the concepts from his videos to my life.

After watching Proko's interview of Kim Jung Gi who is a master, I immediately understood how mastery process looks like in real life.

Just by watching Proko's interview, I was motivated to live like Kimg Jung Gi. That video showed how mastery process works in real life. It also made me realize that I was conceptualizing to no end and not actually working on my life purpose.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat Nice video!

I knew kids like that guy in elementary school. They would just draw all day long in class and they were fucking GOOD. My Mom is actually like that.

From what I can gather, it requires a certain highly specialized brain type. Which then leads to 1000s of hours of practice because their brain type loves doing it.

I would guess I'm the same as that guy, but with philosophy instead of art. To me philosophy is like an artform, and it comes as easily as that guy's drawings, but then there is also of course a ton of practice that goes into it.

To do that much practice demands that you really love doing it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Despite having been yet another addict, I found similarities between me and Kim Jung Gi. I think Kim Jung Gi could have become yet another addict if he was living in a different environment. I could have lived like him if I was encouraged to pursue an artform that I find fascinating now when I was young. Or, I am trying to feel good by identifying with masters like Kim Jung Gi.

It's not too late to adopt mastery mindset. To live a mastery mindset, I need to adopt lifestyle minimalism which requires fixing my broken planning system optimized for cramming as many tasks as possible into one single day.

Do you have videos or tips for a planning system geared toward lifestyle minimalism?

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat Don't look for people to hold your hand. Just do it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@CreamCat

@Leo Gura

I'm pretty certain that Kim Jung Gi has photographic memory, it’s a real thing, in an interview they asked him how he can draw so well from the imagination, and basically said "i look at references a lot, it's easy".  Good luck as an average person remembering references off the top of your head!

Here's another guy with photographic memory, usually people like this have other mental impairments though, like autism or social awkwardness, usually another part of the brain is compensating for it:

Personally I find it less motivating and more like "God Given Talent" or "Hard wired for it".

I also find it alarming how many people want to be an artist even on a forum like this, and how often Proko comes up on the internet, guy's if you can't live without art then drop it, saying I want to be an artist is equivalents to saying "I want to get paid to play video games", you're going into one of the most cliché, and hardest to make money industries.

As an example, Artgerm is a God, and in an interview he said Capcom didn't want to pay him for commission so he did 2 free artworks (Ryu and Ken) for street fighter, before they decided to hire him. That's your level of competition. If you’re up for it, great, otherwise, run away, as fast as you can.

I think this was the freework:

72dfeeb7c9713bfa9e04520b1ef88e2c.jpg

And let's remember Van goth, a heavily stressed artist who couldn't make money, who cut off his ears and had mental issues, he's work was only worth something long after his death.

And Hitler, he started World war 2, because he was pissed about his art, well that's was steven pressfield said in the war of art book, could be BS.

Edited by alankrillin

10 hours ago, alankrillin said:

I'm pretty certain that Kim Jung Gi has photographic memory, it’s a real thing, in an interview they asked him how he can draw so well from the imagination, and basically said "i look at references a lot, it's easy".  Good luck as an average person remembering references off the top of your head!

I think muscular repetition made it easier to remember visual. An expert chess master remembers chess moves without photographic memory because one has saved a lot of similar chess moves in one's brain.

After an artist draws an armor a few thousand times, it becomes a lot easier for the artist to retain the image of a similar armor in one's mind. The same applies to biological creatures and things.

If you know something in details, you can memorize similar things easily. Kim Jung Gi didn't reproduce one-to-one representations of armors. He merely created a believable reproduction of things.

Expertise and repetition can explain a lot of it. He just had a lot of time to practice.

I don't think Kim Jung Gi has photographic memory as Stephen Wiltshire does. I didn't see him draw a city view as it exactly looks like. I see Kim Jung Gi draw whatever he used to draw in various configurations. You are tricked into thinking he has photographic memory.

I think what's important about Kim Jung Gi is his mastery mindset, not his particular choice of vocation. As Leo Gura said, philosophy can be an artform, too. I was inspired to live like Kim Jung Gi. You can also be inspired to live like Leo Gura.

You should learn to be inspired by masters and how they live rather than be discouraged by them. You should also learn to let competitions push you forward and shine light on your weaknesses by comparison. You can't keep pushing forward if you live in isolation. A person who lives in isolation is a miserable average dude. If you keep getting discouraged by people who have higher skills, you will give up soon. If you don't want the competitions involved in a given field, then it is probably not your life purpose, or you are not interested.

Stop telling yourself that you can't become a master. It's just a random belief that you created.

Edited by CreamCat

1 hour ago, CreamCat said:

I think muscular repetition made it easier to remember visual. An expert chess master remembers chess moves without photographic memory because one has saved a lot of similar chess moves in one's brain.

After an artist draws an armor a few thousand times, it becomes a lot easier for the artist to retain the image of a similar armor in one's mind. The same applies to biological creatures and things.

If you know something in details, you can memorize similar things easily. Kim Jung Gi didn't reproduce one-to-one representations of armors. He merely created a believable reproduction of things.

Expertise and repetition can explain a lot of it. He just had a lot of time to practice.

I don't think Kim Jung Gi has photographic memory as Stephen Wiltshire does. I didn't see him draw a city view as it exactly looks like. I see Kim Jung Gi draw whatever he used to draw in various configurations. You are tricked into thinking he has photographic memory.

I think what's important about Kim Jung Gi is his mastery mindset, not his particular choice of vocation. As Leo Gura said, philosophy can be an artform, too. I was inspired to live like Kim Jung Gi. You can also be inspired to live like Leo Gura.

You should learn to be inspired by masters and how they live rather than be discouraged by them. You should also learn to let competitions push you forward and shine light on your weaknesses by comparison. You can't keep pushing forward if you live in isolation. A person who lives in isolation is a miserable average dude. If you keep getting discouraged by people who have higher skills, you will give up soon. If you don't want the competitions involved in a given field, then it is probably not your life purpose, or you are not interested.

Stop telling yourself that you can't become a master. It's just a random belief that you created.

I recommend reading https://leaderchat.org/2017/10/27/simon-sineks-5-steps-for-mastering-the-infinite-game-of-leadership/

Why are you making this about me and my belief systems, I'm not interested in me.

Unless you have proof that Kim Jung GI has no inherit ability you're just trash talking, this artist is known among the best artist and the art world for someone who has exceptional skills from being able to draw thousands of drawing from imgination/memory which is not something most artist can do so easily, he has a significant ability in it. Proko can't do what he does, he's own awe on him says it all.

The comparison is like other footballers acknowledging Lionel Messi.

I did not say that artist do not improve upon repetition and hours of practice, we already know thats how brains and neurons firing together work. So yes that is the only way to improve, it is practice.

I'm saying no matter how much you do right, if you have the best diet, the best positive mindset, the best instructor you might still never beat Usain bolt in a sprint or he's best record. The next person who beats him will be that 1 in a million person.

I'm sure you can understand that a dog's brain can't reach the level of a human, and that a ape's mind can't reach the level of a human, what I'm saying there that the same level of difference between 2 human brains can happen, although they are closer than other species there are still significant hard differences.

To think otherwise is not a positive mindset, it's delusional, a person can have a positive mindset that he can push an on coming bus a 50mph because he feels like superman, and die.

And I wasn't trying to discourage anyone, I'm offering legitmate good advice here, unless you can't survive without art, and you're addicted it, and are willing to work for free and do your drawings hour upon hours just for the fun of it, then art is not for that person, and it's definately not a career for the money. Sure you can get lucky and make millions of it, but so can you just win a lottery ticket at the same odds.

Art is career that involves a lot of giving away and getting little in return, art is probably one of most free work done ever, just look at game forums/engines where most art request is "free" or "royalty" just look at how many people ask "can you draw me for free?", The youtuber DrawWithJazza has a whole video where he goes around asking people if they would give him free food/stuff in restaurants because this is what he gets ask all the time as an artist.

Not many careers have the abbreviation "Starving", like "starving artist" does

And many artist quit art, as mentioned in the book "Art and Fear", many people who graduate from art schools don't ever become working artist, so if I can make someone realise the seriousness of this career I might help save that person a potential waste of 30K+ in art school fees if he's not fully in it.

Edited by alankrillin

20 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

unless you can't survive without art, and you're addicted it, and are willing to work for free and do your drawings hour upon hours just for the fun of it, then art is not for that person, and it's definately not a career for the money. Sure you can get lucky and make millions of it, but so can you just win a lottery ticket at the same odds.

Although I think you are exaggerating difficulty of making money as an artist, I was talking about mastery mindset in general.

Even if you can't physically draw thousand things effortlessly from imagination as Kim Jung Gi does, you can learn mastery mindset from him and apply that mindset to your life purpose.

I'm pretty sure that you aren't even near 10% of your true potential. That's what I'm talking about. It's about unlocking your full potential. You can become pretty useful if you unlock your potential.

In any field, if you unlock your potential, it's quite likely that you can belong in the top 1%, if not the top 0.001% because most average people are quite miserable and mediocre and they aren't in a position to unlock their potential. For most people, just putting them in situations where they can unlock their potential is a challenge.

Edited by CreamCat

12 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Although I think you are exaggerating difficulty of making money as an artist, I was talking about mastery mindset in general.

Even if you can't physically draw thousand things effortlessly from imagination as Kim Jung Gi does, you can learn mastery mindset from him and apply that mindset to your life purpose.

I'm pretty sure that you aren't even near 10% of your true potential. That's what I'm talking about. It's about unlocking your full potential.

Sure you can always improve.

But you might never be able to draw effortlessly from memory/imgination like Kim.

The same way you won't be able to compete with Stephen Wiltshire in a city scape drawing, (without reference) you just won't ever be able to hold as much information as him, no matter how much you adopt or practice mastery.

I know very good artist who get good at things, like character artist who can draw many great characters from imgination through sheer practice, but Kim is on another level, and he's known for it.

Give him a paper and pen and he will draw endlessly like a human printer, and he draws all sorts of things, buildings, characters, animals, guns, cars, if he's seen it, he can draw it.

Edited by alankrillin

@alankrillin You don't have to compete with Kim Jung Gi and Stephen Wiltshire. If you want to do it, you can. You can create your own game and belong in the top 0.1% ~ 1% of the game. For your purposes, that might be enough. It's an infinite game where there are no clear rules and no clear winners unlike baseball where there are clear rules, clear winners, and clear endpoints.

Take drawing for example. You can set the intention to get good at such and such areas where Kim Jung Gi and Stephen Wiltshire are mediocre or even poor.

Even if you unlock your full potential, you might still envy other people. That's fine. Just keep improving and evolving. We need more people to contribute to evolution.

Edited by CreamCat