Huz

Bulimic

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have  started to become bulimic. I was a fat kid when I was younger. I lost like 30kg about 3 years ago. recently I have started to become bulimic. I have been tricking myself into thinking it's okay and feel awful about it. I have suffered from very low self esteem and still working on that.

can anyone give me tips on how to overcome this and why I am doing this. I binge eat food and then throw it up. I have given up a lot of addictions like drinking, smoking, being rebellious, eating meat etc and these symptoms started to appear after 

Hi @Huz88 

I hardly recommand you to go and see a doctor. I don't know anybody who overcome this issue without professional help.

Aside from that I think that i's often the case if you quit an addiction, you get another one. It comes from the fact that you need (and I mean it generally not personally, right?) something to cover a problem, or several problems, in order not to become aware of it. It's kind of self protection.

So, in my opinion, it's really great that you have this strong will to stop an addiction after another, but if you want to live completely free of this, you need to pack it by the root. Sometimes they are so hidden, because they took place so long ago that you can't face the problem in your daily life: 

Find a way to your deeper self, use any help you meet for this, doctor, meditation, books, videos, what ever..  so you can live a fulfilling live :)

I wish you the best

Edited by MartineF

Thanks for the advice, going to see someone about it soon and a see it as another hurdle to jump over! 

I need to do a lot of introspection around my beliefs when am doing it. I think it is rooted to my belief that I am scared to be fat again, and has come up as my other addictions have been suppressed. Thanks xx

10 hours ago, Huz88 said:

hurdle to jump over

.. maybe.. and maybe another possibility to begin with loving yourself (inclusive your body -fat or not- it does so much for you doesn't it?) and stop this destruction work.. please..

Thank you

i love you, thanks so much for willing to give me some advice 

Thank you :) and I'm happy if it helps you..

May I ask you in a while how you have proceeded?

Adyashanti quote:

enjoy your self

Yes no worries, would be happy to show you how I have got on 

Hey I have been improving - the last incident I had was about a week ago and it was at a worse rate before. I have had urges when I eat. There is a problem though which is sometimes when I eat and I sit down I naturally throw up after a heavy meal without any intervention. It's happened a couple of times this week

I recently finished the booked called, "The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem," by Nathaniel Branden and it has really given me a great insight on self-esteem all the the different things that can build/make up self esteem. I've struggled with Self Esteem a lot of my life too but understanding your mind and having a deeper consciousness of why you have urges to do things will help alot. I go to a therapist and she is really helping me be more aware of why I do things. I think therapist are really insightful and they can help you get to the root of what is really going on in your psyche. I really suggest reading that book if you have time. Leo mentioned it in one of his videos about self esteem and I really learned a lot. Hope that helps! :)

@Huz88 My ex gf was bulimic for years before we met so trying to stop her wasn't easy. I took down my bathroom door so she couldn't do it anymore without me quickly finding out. There are forums that can help you online. She received a good bit of help by talking to one girl who was about her age on an online forum devoted to helping those with eating disorders. Maybe you can look into one of those. (this forum is also a good option)

Destroy all of those self hating thoughts. Only you can do that. You know it's something you need to change soon, or else you wouldn't be telling us. Everyone critiques their self image, and wishes they could alter something at some point. My advice is to not fall victim to your own negative thoughts. Let your better judgement make the calls. I wish you the best on your journey. 

Edited by Holdup

Thanks guys all your advice has been so helpful. I am now seeing a therapist and was reading the Nathaniel Brandon book but stopped because of my exams coming up. Raising of your awareness does help you alot 

29 minutes ago, Holdup said:

@Huz88 My ex gf was bulimic for years before we met so trying to stop her wasn't easy. I took down my bathroom door so she couldn't do it anymore without me quickly finding out. There are forums that can help you online. She received a good bit of help by talking to one girl who was about her age on an online forum devoted to helping those with eating disorders. Maybe you can look into one of those. (this forum is also a good option)

Destroy all of those self hating thoughts. Only you can do that. You know it's something you need to change soon, or else you wouldn't be telling us. Everyone critiques their self image, and wishes they could alter something at some point. My advice is to not fall victim to your own negative thoughts. Let your better judgement make the calls. I wish you the best on your journey. 

Have you got any forums that you know off? 

@Huz88 No. I wish my mind could recall the site she was on, because she stopped harming herself not long after. 

My drug of choice is self help books. Cuz I can figure out my own problems and solutions from within. I was suggesting online forums dealing with bulimia, because it can be a lot more comforting to know how many others out there feel the same. It's a very common disorder these days. I just didn't want you to feel alone in your struggles, but it's cool you're starting to improve already by getting therapy sessions.    

@Holdup Thanks so much for your help! Yeah been times when you feel very lonely. I Thank Leo so much for starting the forum because its allowed me to connect with people like you to help me out and put things into perspective. Actualized.org has saved my psychology :D What self help books do you recommend?

@Kelley White I have given those forums a look and are great! By the way what does a Moderator status mean?

5 hours ago, Huz88 said:

I have given those forums a look and are great! By the way what does a Moderator status mean?

Hi @Huz88.  I am glad that you found them useful.

Moderators are volunteers who give of their time to help others and enforce the guidelines of the forum.   Thank you for your question.

@Huz88 You're welcome man. My psych book in college helped me greatly with learning about self-actualization/self fulfillment. Well the class itself helped me greatly. :)

Books: The Art of Happiness, The Road Less Traveled because of my Psych interests,  Flower has helped me find Osho (The Indian Guru) who has many good books available, Nathaniel Brandon's Six Pillars Of Self Esteem (I need to finish it), The power of positive thinking was my stepping stone into self help books. 

@Huz88 I think you're trying to feel a hole, do you feel an emptiness? ... you ain't alone.. I'm here

I'm always here if you wanna talk... I'm sorry you are going through this.

I wish I could help more, but I will try!

I can relate because I use to try to get to get healthy and eat junk food.. than I would feel guilty eating junk food because I felt like I failed myself.

but you know what... you ever hear this saying from Aaliyah?

Please get this song or write it down

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED  PICK YOURSELF UP AND TRY AGAIN! .. somethin like that

It... its what got me through hard times.....

Make sure it is somewhere you can see it ..like where you leave your house or something.. so you see it everyday

Try and try again if that's what you wanna really do

But whatever you do..DONT FEEL GUILTY.. YOU ARE A HUMAN..WE MAKE MISTAKES..

It is natural.. or if you need too feel guilty.. whatever man just as long as you don't feel resistance from within you're all good

For me my addictions stopped because it was life threatning.. eating junk food I couldn't do shit so...

Don't let it get to that point and if you need too seek professional help

best advice I can give is never stop improving your psychology

5 hours ago, DizIzMikey said:

@Huz88 I think you're trying to feel a hole, do you feel an emptiness? ... you ain't alone.. I'm here

I'm always here if you wanna talk... I'm sorry you are going through this.

I wish I could help more, but I will try!

I can relate because I use to try to get to get healthy and eat junk food.. than I would feel guilty eating junk food because I felt like I failed myself.

but you know what... you ever hear this saying from Aaliyah?

Please get this song or write it down

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED  PICK YOURSELF UP AND TRY AGAIN! .. somethin like that

It... its what got me through hard times.....

Make sure it is somewhere you can see it ..like where you leave your house or something.. so you see it everyday

Try and try again if that's what you wanna really do

But whatever you do..DONT FEEL GUILTY.. YOU ARE A HUMAN..WE MAKE MISTAKES..

It is natural.. or if you need too feel guilty.. whatever man just as long as you don't feel resistance from within you're all good

For me my addictions stopped because it was life threatning.. eating junk food I couldn't do shit so...

Don't let it get to that point and if you need too seek professional help

best advice I can give is never stop improving your psychology

Thanks so much dude!! That was so insightful. Honestly, you guys are amazing I wish i could meet you all in person.

I am starting to realise that how when i gave up on other addictions i was scared of the void, so i started to binge eat. Low self-esteem played into it. But now I have been doing the "do nothing" and "self-acceptance mediation techniques and that has helped me substantially. I haven't realeasped yet and haven't had urges. I still binge sometimes but don't feel guilty anymore, and i start to binge less.

I am starting to fill the void with more "mundane' things like the application of the movement of water, birds singing, the colours we see etc. :D

On 23 April 2016 at 7:54 AM, Holdup said:

Flower has helped me find Osho (The Indian Guru) who has many good books available

@Holdup I hope you enjoy them! 

The 6 pillars of self esteem is really good I have heard- only just started reading it! ☺️

'The end of fear is the beginning of all wisdom'