getting shitfaced

34 posts in this topic

Does anyone here enjoy getting shitfaced on booze here? I grew up in Russia, started drinking at 13 and I still enjoy getting uber-wasted once in a while (maybe every other 2 weeks or so). Yes, I do realize that drinking makes me dumber, that it fucks with my willpower and all that but it is just so much fun! If I drink in a good company and have a great time, I really don't see the reason of stopping alcohol whatsoever (as long as it doesn't dominate my life of course). To me, drinking is a social inhibitor that helps people to let go, relax and forget social conditioning for a while.

I don't fear alcohol and made it a valuable companion in my life. I am open to suggestions and insights on the topic though.

I have mixed feelings about it.  Drinking can definitely be fun, but I have really noticed how it instantly lowers my intelligence.  The effect obviously wears off once you sober up, but even a couple drinks can start altering your perception and judgement making skill.

That does not mean that drinking is wrong or a bad idea.  Just some thoughts on what I have noticed.

Denis, ask yourself an honest question- why do you need external chemical substance to let go, relax and forget social conditioning? You can achieve all of that with enough psychological development and without hurting yourself. I don't mind alcohol (I'm russian as well, heheh), but people use it as a form of escapism instead of facing and dealing with their problems. That's when it becomes a problem.

Drinking is good for a while, but like all things the body becomes accustomed to it, and although subtle at first, after years of drink your body needs the booze just to feel normal. This will happen to you even if you don't consider yourself a real problem drinker or alcoholic. So do it, go and enjoy yourself but make sure you know where this thing sits in your life and what it's limitations are. This is the best case scenario for someone with no addiction problems. If you have addictive personality, you might need to make other life choices.

Edited by Neo

Strong men don't drink. Weak ones do.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Spend the time to learn how to make your own alcohol. Perfect your own ultimate drink using your own nounce and ingredients and endeavours. I did this, ended up with hundreds of litres of cheap (20cents per litre forage wine). Surrounding myself with so much alcohol reduced my desire to get trashed down to nothing. Alcohol is not evil, creativity, poetry, music can be , I find, although counter intuitive, improved by adding a drop of it into a groove. But hey, I've got lots to learn.

For the past 18 years I have completly abstained from alcohol, but a few months ago I felt an urge to get hammered.

So over the past few months I have been using alcohol as a tool to experience certain emotions.  Sounds strange but as my inhibitions are lowered I allow myself to feel emotions that have been suppressed. Fear and anger, are two that I have deep issues with and alcohol allows me to delve deep and start to understand what these forgotten emotions feel like.

Only on very rare occasions, (social gatherings, only have a casual drink). Other than that, no I don't see a reason to.

I don't mind a wine here and there but because of my beliefs and values and what I do for work, it means more to me then getting 'shit faced'. There is always a time when you are young to have fun, drink a lot, learn from your mistakes, then when you grow up, you want to become more responsible, be healthy and fit and strengthen your mind so you can live a long a fulfilling future and you can be an asset to your friends and family by being in good shape and health.

I have had a partner who drinks half a case to a case of VB on a daily basis, and sometimes he would act like a dick head towards me and the next day he won't remember it, then when he hears the stories of his behaviour, he thinks its hilarious. Mind you he was a grown man in his 30's who I saw as someone who wasting their life away for temporary fun and what he seems as a solutions to all lifes problems. 

We were not given this body to destroy it, there are a million other ways to enjoy life and have fun, and you can still have the odd drinks or the odd big nights but if you are serious about personal development, develop other way that you can have an awesome fun time without the alcohol. You may not thing its dominating your life, but my partner saw alcohol as apart of his life, which is really sad to see and it starts to affect those who love you sooner or later.

Alcohol is not the answer. 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Ouch! That hurts my ego. You have a really strong opinion on the topic.

Alcohol helps bonding with people though. Why hold such a strong principle on the issue? Occasional escape from reality in a good company of friends is great, it's like an emotional reset, gives me inspiration. I don't see any substitutes for that. The next morning when I lay hangover feeling like crap, it gives me the realization what a retard I am and gives inspiration to push harder in my following non-drinking weeks. I believe that everyone desires some self-destruction and madness once in a while, some of the greatest art and music was created under the influence. Look at the band Coldplay- they don't drink, they will live longer than Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison but their music is shit. 

My life is plain without alcohol. I can go months, even a few years without it (done that) and always felt like I am lacking something in life. Everyone has their weaknesses- some people smoke, some of them drink, some are obsessed with sex. Maybe those weaknesses are the ones that make us who we are and we shouldn't listen to every self-help advice like "DON'T EVER DRINK!"

Alan Watts died from alcoholism and was enlightened :D He was always unapologetic about it.

1 hour ago, ayokolomo said:

For the past 18 years I have completly abstained from alcohol, but a few months ago I felt an urge to get hammered.

So over the past few months I have been using alcohol as a tool to experience certain emotions.  Sounds strange but as my inhibitions are lowered I allow myself to feel emotions that have been suppressed. Fear and anger, are two that I have deep issues with and alcohol allows me to delve deep and start to understand what these forgotten emotions feel like.

Exactly. It's like medicine. I had no idea how much subconscious rage I had before getting drunk one night and I had no idea how much love I have before getting drunk the other night. It gave me a lot of insight. Sure I meditate every day and had some sober insights but alcohol is a dirty trick- works instantly.

12 minutes ago, Denis said:

Exactly. It's like medicine. I had no idea how much subconscious rage I had before getting drunk one night and I had no idea how much love I have before getting drunk the other night. It gave me a lot of insight. Sure I meditate every day and had some sober insights but alcohol is a dirty trick- works instantly.

I guess you have to use it responsibly. If it has negative consequences then put it down.  Since October I have drunk 5 times, doing shots of vodka alone in my bathroom.  There is no chance of causing any long term damage, no fighting or driving. And I can feel the benefits.

Its hard to recommend but if it works then keep on keeping on!

I won't drink at all. I keep my average alcohol consumption down to a couple of beers a year, only on such occasions like Christmas or New year's if so. I do natural bodybuilding, which requires that sort of discipline with your body and mind. I'm for purity of body and mind, so it feels good not to ingest anything that will alter the good workings of my system. 

If you are at peace with yourself having a drink (or two) why would you mention it on this forum?  I apologise for my bluntness here but in my humble opinion, you are looking for someone to agree with you so you feel can better about it.

15 minutes ago, Slippers said:

If you are at peace with yourself having a drink (or two) why would you mention it on this forum?  I apologise for my bluntness here but in my humble opinion, you are looking for someone to agree with you so you feel can better about it.

you are probably right. I am never quite at peace with myself since I started doing self-help though. Never enough

It might be worth mentioning that humans have been using intoxicants for thousands of years.  I have personally spent quite a few hours meditating on that fact.  It seems like a paradox.  Most people can easily point out why intoxicants are bad, but at the same time there does seem to be a deep seated connection between human cultures and the use of intoxicating substances.

Regardless of whether we are talking about food, drugs, sex, games, films, shopping, or something else, I think the big question is how much control something has over you and your life.

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Wisdom doesn't judge, it observes.

I've been out drinking heavily a few nights ago, and trough my recently obtained self observation skills I kind of managed to watch myself during most of the experience. 
To tell you the truth, I felt ashamed of myself, especially in the morning. It's incredibly self destructive, and the benefits are few if any. I don't think I'd mind the trade off if I had a really, really good time but it's just not the case, at least not anymore. 
Alcohol used to be helpful when flirting with girls, the lack of inhibition seems to have some charm. But lately I feel it's holding me back rather then helping with anything. 
I think it's ok to drink on social events where it's expected, like a wedding or a celebration, but other then that I'm done with it. I don't think anyone can make that decision for you though, I'd just suggest trying to be more self aware next time you do it, and make your own judgement.

:ph34r:

Coldplay is awesome.  Their third album really helped me though a dark time back in 2005.  Something about Johnny Buckland's sinewy guitar leads really connected with my emotions in a way I couldn't verbalize to myself.  Beer is awesome too, in moderation.  I can be a snob about my ales, but the snobbery has led to some cool connections with other beer-snobs.  So I'm weak and I like shit music.  It's entirely possible :D.  But judgments aside, alcohol can be very destructive, and the ego is a genius at rationalizing unhealthy consumption.  Be mindful. 

Comrade, there is so much more enjoyable things in life than getting shitfaced. Think of your physical and mental health. Ask yourself do you want to be amazing and live a long, powerfull life or do you want to get sick at 50 and live a mediocre or even shitty life?

Also, my friend, regard that there is no use in communicating with people or attracting girls if you are wasted. If you cannot muster the courage and strength to do it sober, then you are just fooling yourself. Don't be a fool.

If you really want to master your ego, your mind and your health there is no way around, you have to quit alcohol. It all depends on how far you are willing to go down this self-actualization rabbit hole. I am not here to judge tho or to tell you what to do, it all depends on what is important for you.

And lastly, think of the children! And also your gainz which you won't have if you drink too much :P