andyjohnsonman

the paradox of being present

4 posts in this topic

I feel like when I am being mindful and observing my thoughts in a way I am actually being less present as I go into the inner world of my thoughts and look at them I am not in the moment as much in the outer world. I know many people will say this is a duality but at my current stage of mindfulness I feel like mindfulness is actually making me less present. An example would be when talking to someone instead of being present in the conversation and the natural flow of it I will observe my thoughts which can affect the flow of it and bring me into my internal world and out of being present with this person. I don't know if anyone can relate to this or has any solutions? 

What do you mean by mindful? What does being mindful imply? 

And we may notice that when we are paying to much attention to each particular thought we are actually getting sucked into a sort of concentration which excludes attention on some parts and puts attention on other parts, just as you noticed while trying to be attentive/present with people. 

Have you gone into the self/ego, thought, and there nature? Are you aware of that entire map? 

The self seems to introduce other maps/methods/means/techniques and doesn’t understand the map that is direct in experience to be observed. Learning the map as it is, without yet introducing another map(motive/means) may help you my dude. Observation of what is already experienced. 

Edited by Jack River

let go of any effort/concentration as the “mindfulness” you strive to maintain is not actually the awareness which brings insight 

When the observation of thoughts is affecting your natural flow this implies as Jack says a concentration/state which neglects a seeing of the whole