zakur0

Quitting Job...

12 posts in this topic

...is fucking awesome.

Yesterday i finally came up to my boss (who i hate a lot) and told him what i always wanted to say. But before that moment i had spent almost a week fearing about decision i was about to make. I quit in a pretty impulsive way without any decent plan B but i haven't felt so free since a long time ago.

What was your experience of quitting and how did it affect your life at the moment?

@zakur0 hats off to you ... it takes courage to do what you did ... i hope someday even i will be able to do this and not be a sheep and start my own business 

Edited by Elton

@Elton Leo has great videos on this topic. I recommend them if you are commited to take action on that part of your life.

I got laid-off at my last job. I practically danced off the property. Then I spent the next few months doing a lot of personal development and finished college. Now I'm back at a job, but in my free time I've been building up an idea I've had for a while. Soon I'll be able to quit and not have to worry about finding another job.:)

I have been in a similar situation where I have quit my job on the spot because I didn't like my new boss. I sort of regretted it after because it took me four months to find work and when I did, I decided to start a side business so I never had to worry about being out of work again.

Congrats to you though.. it is a good feeling.

@zakur0 Bold !!

@Elton@Wouter We are already in business.. If you have ideas and like to add to things, develop and grow.  you just have not sold or produced anything yet.. Kinda stuck in the ideas phase like most people are..

put pen to paper and make that first step. thats all everyone else does.. some business people are dumb , in fact their stupidity is what allows them to step and thats why they learn and succeed.. because they had no clue what they where doing.. 

@T1r1on qudos to you bro!!

I quit my job Feb, 20th 2016. It was a huge relief off my back. I didn't do what you did, go to boss and say I quit. My supervisor called me but I didn't answer the phone. So she texted me saying "Are you coming to work?" I said no and won't be going back anymore. Then my assistant manager texted me saying "Hey are you coming to work?" I said same thing I said to supervisor. I then turned my phone off cause I was getting to stressed out by this. I had my phone off the entire day. The next day I turned it back on. And it was a text message by my supervisor that said "Okay goodluck." And a text message by my assistant manager that said "Why? Call me please." I didn't call her. So I went about my day. Monday morning. I get an unknown number calling me. Thinking it might be someone at the job again, I didn't answer. I then get a text message by that same number, and it was my manager. He said "Hey its (name) what happened?" I  replied saying nothing happened I am just tired working here it drains me. I decided to go back to school(not really just a A+ certification class for computer technician.)  Sorry for leaving abruptly like this. and he replied saying. "Noooooooo. lol I understand good luck. Come visit us sometimes." And I replied saying "I will thanks :)" I felt so bad after that. They all really cared about me. And I felt I was making a stupid mistake and that I should go back. They never do that with anyone else when someone decides to quit. There kinda like "ok bye." But with me they really tried to have me stay. I'm like the best employee there. I loved working there I loved my coworkers. I've been working there for 2 years. It was my first and only job. It's just that you know I got tired. They been giving me more hours I really didn't like it so I always feel drained. Maybe I would of stayed if my hours were kept small. I was part-time after all. So what made me decided to quit was when my supervisor said my schedule for next week will be 5am-4pm for 6 days straight!!! MAM! that is approximately 11hrs a day! I AM SUPPOSED TO BE PART-TIME. And plus the buses don't run till 6am!. So she said ask to see if your mom can take you. ¬¬ I asked mom she said no lol. She then said okay then 7am-5pm? I'm like 7am-5pm!? Then she decided will discuss it tomorrow cause she could barely hear me over the phone. Tomorrow Feb,20th 2016, is the day I am suppose to come in for training at the new store. I didn't go and that's when the calling and texting began. Before that day I was contemplating if I wanted to do this schedule or not... I really didn't want to like this was absolute overkill for me.  My mom said you should tell them the schedule you want. I really wish I could...But I'm afraid of the judgement of me wanting 10-4 instead...since they already put me in the schedule for 5am-4pm. if there is no reasonable explanation for me wanting 10-4, in my head they probably won't do it. and will probably judge me negatively and think different of me now because I am complaining of the schedule and don't want to work many hours like this. This is what made me decide to quit. because I know myself and know I am not able to work a schedule like this. so that is settled. And 2nd, the fear of being judged and treated differently because of my proposal of not wanting to work that schedule. My job is notorious of talking shit of coworkers of every little thing. like of showing up late. not showing up at all, or someone only working one day a week... or work productivity and calling out. So immediately I knew I was ganna be next of the talk shit list most likely despite me being the MVP there. And that's what I was most afraid of. I was afraid my MVP title would be stripped  If I  complained about the schedule and wanted it my way. I wasn't strong enough to handle that If that would occur. cause I was so use to all the love. So thats what led me to quit. I was a bit sad about it for a couple of days, cause I left my coworkers abruptly like that, and they obviously didn't want me to leave. If I figured out what I wanted to do at the time and worked on it till I could make a proper living out of it and then left with a proper 2 weeks notice, that would of been better and left with good spirits. But I came to the conclusion that this is for the best of me.

I wanted to leave my job because I felt that I had relationship problems with the coworkers. I always saw these problems in them. They didn't like me, they kept their distance from me, not wanted me there as a team member, you know feelings like that.
But I could felt that these problems were not really in these people, but they were in me.
I talked with my boss about it, told him, that I would like to quit the job (working as a kitchen porter somewhere in London), because I feel like shit, I don't get training from my senior manager, I can't progress in my carreer, the team doesn't like me either.
He told me that I am a good guy, he would rather solve this problem in some other way, but he will not accept my resignation.
I responded to him, that his solution to my problem he offered would solve my problems way too easily. I want to solve my problems on my own, I am grateful for his offer, but then I rather give it a try, not giving up. I will not leave then, but I will have to solve my problem on my own, because what he is offering to me is the easy way to get things done. It's not always easy if you want to fix something in your life, sometimes you need to make efforts and make sacrifices. So yeah I wanted to quit, but my boss wanted to give me solution. What I did instead, I did not quit, but fixed the problem by myself, the hard way, without the help of a higher authority (my boss).
If you learn to handle things like this in the life, you can learn to have dignity, to manage problems better, and others will give you credits and respect for that.
Even if I'm just a kitchen porter, my boss said to me that he can't let me go just like that.
That is one of the greatest sign of respect I could get when I wanted  to quit and my boss didn't let me, saying that I was too good to leave.
And I am proud of that.

Edited by ACE

Update since last entry.
I still decided to leave and quit my job.
Sadly I couldn't resolve the issue I had with my senior manager, in the end I still asked my boss to approve my resignation.
It feels very painful for me, because I got to know a lot of good people I worked together with and I feel very sad to leave them.
But I have to leave because if I don't get training, and there is no progression, then there is no reason for me to stay there, since I have ambitions.

Edited by ACE

@zakur0Many homeless people started their "carreer" the way you described. I dont believe acting on emotional urges i good, funny or brave. A job is a tool for survival and love or hate towards boss or coworkers is wasted energy and pointless. Never quit a job unless ou have another job to do....woul be my advice.

On 4/7/2016 at 3:52 PM, zakur0 said:

...is fucking awesome.

Yesterday i finally came up to my boss (who i hate a lot) and told him what i always wanted to say. But before that moment i had spent almost a week fearing about decision i was about to make. I quit in a pretty impulsive way without any decent plan B but i haven't felt so free since a long time ago.

What was your experience of quitting and how did it affect your life at the moment?

Hating your boss, isnt something to brag about, you were given a job.  If you didnt like the job or the boss why not simply give a weeks notice and leave quietly and peacefully, rather than doing this in a pretty impulsive way without any plan.  It would have been much better, for everyone concerned, and there is a possibility that one day you may want a job some place and little things like this can come back to bite you in the azz.  You did not free yourself you just blew off some steam from what i gathered from what you said, and ran away.  I understand that you are a young person and you have to learn but when you put it out there for others to responsd some of us will respond and tell you that you screwed up and that it was childish.