Rilles

How To Write About Your Life Experience?

9 posts in this topic

Im almost 100% certain that my mundane life had many interesting parts in it that I want to put into stories, but everytime I sit down to actually write about it I feel like Im not hitting the spot where I want to... I know that it takes practice but does anyone have any suggestions on how to really get the juice out of your writing? 

Eventually I will put these stories into song lyrics

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I find that a walk or relaxing bike ride allows me to recount the stories and compose how I would write them (in my head).  Also, talking out loud to myself helps me compose a good flow.  

1 hour ago, exhale said:

I find that a walk or relaxing bike ride allows me to recount the stories and compose how I would write them (in my head).  Also, talking out loud to myself helps me compose a good flow.  

That makes sense! The thing is... I have tons of stories, I just need to find out where their emotional impact lies, whats the moral so to speak. I feel like I have too much and I dont know where or how to start...

By practicing.

By writing, seeing how and why it sucks and doesn’t convey your experience exactly the way you’re trying to have it be conveyed and then creating again. 

If it’s for music, master the fundamentals first along with your writing. If you can write the most beautiful lyrics but it’s a rock song for example, it won’t make a difference if you can’t sing or play the guitar or the drums or whatever. You have the message but you don’t have the skills to convey it. 

2 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

By practicing.

By writing, seeing how and why it sucks and doesn’t convey your experience exactly the way you’re trying to have it be conveyed and then creating again. 

If it’s for music, master the fundamentals first along with your writing. If you can write the most beautiful lyrics but it’s a rock song for example, it won’t make a difference if you can’t sing or play the guitar or the drums or whatever. You have the message but you don’t have the skills to convey it. 

Agreed! I downloaded a question sheet to help with writing my personal story, its fun and it seems to help a bit. 

Ive been producing music for about 8 years so that part I dont have much of a problem with but Im just so fascinated by deep writing so I hope to master that too. :P

Yeh, just practice, practice different writing styles, show your work to your friends/teachers to make it improve, read it, read a lot - this is what my friend recommended me, she is writing a book now, it really is noticable in her stories, whether she read in that time or didnt read... Dont overthink it too much. :) 

2 minutes ago, bejapuskas said:

Yeh, just practice, practice different writing styles, show your work to your friends/teachers to make it improve, read it, read a lot - this is what my friend recommended me, she is writing a book now, it really is noticable in her stories, whether she read in that time or didnt read... Dont overthink it too much. :) 

Yeah I actually started reading seriously maybe 2 years ago, its shameful how little Ive read in my life! Ive started a book collection with all the classics. :D Life-changing! Theres some toxic idea in  Western schools about how reading is boring, it really ruined alot for me until I stopped buying into it.

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

That makes sense! The thing is... I have tons of stories, I just need to find out where their emotional impact lies, whats the moral so to speak. I feel like I have too much and I dont know where or how to start...

Whenever I am overwhelmed with my to-do list, I do the following.  I literately create a list, that way I know that I will get to each item eventually, and this often diffuses my stress and gives me direction.

Take an hour with no distractions and brainstorm all the stories that you may consider writing about.  Rank them from the most important story to tell. Take it from there.  You can't write a book in a day.   Consider scheduling writing blocks to keep you on track.  

Full disclosure, I am not a writer.  Just given general life advice. 

@Rilles Reading enriches your personality, as well as your work. You will be able to copy the authors you like, your vocabulary will be larger... You cannot really go wrong with reading :)