mochafrap

Attachment Doesn't Exist?

6 posts in this topic

A lot of activity from me tonight, but I may have just hit on something. I see validity in what I'm saying and also ways it could be a misunderstanding, so bear with me. Looking forward to replies.

Attachment is, as I have seen it, generally viewed as this big bad boy in experience. Desires, they should come and go, they hurt or they don't. No matter, we have an internal river of tranquility that stems from Being and Self. We should remain detached.

Attachment to something else only exists if there is some separate thing to be attached to. "Ourselves" in nonduality is all. I am all. My true self is all. My ego is an instantiation of a deeper Self. All is an experience of the Self that I am living. Many things are arbitrary (my ego just went "ugh dude wtf that hurts" lol), but ultimately it is all Self that is experience. There is nothing but Self, me / you / my homework is all Self in the nondual sense of the word. This is how I understand it all currently.

How, then, is there anything to be attached to? And from where does the command come to detach one's Self? If I am "attached" to another experience or ego, would I not just be attached to part of Self, and therefore drawing on Self for happiness, as is the goal? Of course, I may be attached to an experience in a way that is acutely unhealthy for this biology (e.g. fighting all the time with a friend, struggling with addiction, etc) or toxic to my ego... but basically, why do some people demonize attachement when it seems to be a part of experiencing the Self?

I could see possible explanations being that the goal is to detach ego from pure, unconceptualized experience rather than what I just said, or maybe that detachment is about having absolutely no need for any other parts of Self other than your own instantiation of it (which I still wouldn't understand at that point).

Actually may have just answered my own question right after posting this, but still wanna read input.

Edited by mochafrap

Idk if I can answer your question or not but one of recent realizations is that only the ego wants attachment to things. It's method of holding on. Whether its through other people, addications or whatever. 

Additon to my realization, what if that's what letting go means? Letting go of all the attachment. At this stage I get the concept but it's easier said than done.

@mochafrap Attachment is a concept used to describe the movement of the separate self. Ultimately it's true that only this moment exist and that you are everything and nothing but unless you have realized that the movement of the separate self continues to cling onto  (attach) and push away experiences.

Demonizing something is equal to pushing it away. That it is bad and unwanted. That is a movement of the separate self. Isn't it hilarious that the separate self demonizes itself? :)

@mochafrap I see Attachment as a holding of an separate identity . As an example : the ''I exist'' thought , is a attachment that holds the idea that ''you'' - as a separate self - exists , and ''you'' believe that if you are not attached to that  , you simply die , your identity fades , which is the same thing .

Thank you for the reflection