Mu_

Non-duality trappings, things I've noticed on the forum.

9 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Since joining this great forum, I've noticed a couple points of confusion about non-duality that I wanted to speak on that I hope can help reduce confusion and inner conflict I've seen in new seekers and open up old timers to some new expansions (this is just an offering because once certain states/understandings/transformations have been achieved its very normal, acceptable and understandable to enjoy the fruits of your inner work, because yes a lot of us went through hell to gain some ground, so don't take this a judgement).

New Seekers

A lot of New seekers see non-duality as a letting go of their ego/selfs, through dropping all desires, thoughts and emotions to become some awareness, that lets all thing rise and fall as they carry on with a simple life (and yes there may be times where this is the case for periods or is a healthy change for some, but is not the end goal/state, nor requirement).  Others think they have to somehow get out of a feeling of individuality/separateness in order to achieve the life law of becoming and understanding Oneness/Non-dual/Inifinity (and no this is not a requirement/law of life or even non-dual understanding) Also some think they have to leave their job, family, friends (yes sometimes this may need to happen for periods/spurts/or all together, but its not a rule).   A few members I've helped basically were fairly happy and going forward into their lives enjoying helping out others and bettering themselves in various way, but for what ever reason, some idea's they've read about and heard on non-duality, basically left them confused depressed and no longer interested in the fine life they had.

Ok this may shock some people, but non-duality is not about changing your life.  Why would that which has always been not be where its supposed to be.  Why would that which is everything have gotten and created you wrong or not in the right place.  And if your into science as your grounds of knowledge, how could scientific phenomenon that created everything do so incorrectly in creating the universe and you in it.  And its fine if you don't understand that or believe it, its still the case (hell just having a radical leap of faith in this, without proof can yield unexpected dividends of happiness).  God/Oneness/Infinity/Science is not imposing a law on you to have to discover this truth, its up to you as this to find out if you want to unwind this mystery till you see it.  You/Life is very fine already going forward as life/individuality experiencing the wonders of being/form, not knowing its truest start/form.  Its a wonderful thing to just be a "you" not thinking it is missing something, which ironically enough are often created in this spiritual search that leads you to believe that your doing something wrong or got life backwards and there are things you have to do to get better, discover the real truth of you and then be ok, and even in the scientific search of not feeling settled or ok until you discover and understand it all, having all the answers so you can feel finally safe or the most knowing one around.

So if your just approaching non-duality or just trying to figure out life.  First ask yourself what you really want.  If the majority of your desire is to get a job and go to school so your can earn a living, then do that and commit to that fully.  If your looking for some happiness improvement, then implement many of the things out there that can improve well being (meditation, working out, healthy eating, shadow work, yoga, treat others with more kindness, treat yourself with more kindness or look into why you don't do these things, art of some sort).  If non of these things is what your yearning for then by all means, continue forward into non-duality, but be prepared to commit, be prepared like a warrior to persevere and struggle, be prepared like a child to laugh, forget, be distracted and a little all over the place, be prepared to not know whats going on, and be prepared to reach out for help.

Old Seekers/Realizers

Now I'm not gonna point any fingers, or call out individuals, there is no need, your fine the way you are, I really do hope your happy, and even helping others.  Like I said this is just opportunity to grow like you already have.

That said, the majority of people on here who have had awakenings and speak about non-duality really seem to get the awareness/vastness side of it all.  I imagine a lot of you went through the believing yourself to be a something or other person individual thingy, who at one point saw themselves as a problem, inadequate, lacking something, believed that life was a mess and needed to find happiness some how and discovered some spiritual path/practice that brought great fruits (thank god for that).  Now a lot of you at the vastness stage, are seeing all that is arising as thought/sensation and the only thing that is real is that which sees.  And this is sooooo nice, and freeing from all those past pains these types of things brought you.  But there is more.  (WAIT, WAIT, before you say I know this, its oneness, changing, love, non-dual unknowable,  infinity, all is just thought outside of knowing, just blah, blah, stop, stop, just be open and really ask yourself, am I full of ass with some of the things I understand? Am I just licking the ball sweat of illusion.  Is there more?  Don't be afraid to reopen and find out again). 

There really is a infinity/oneness stage/perspective with a experience of undividedness with inner and outer, and love that is beyond words.  There's even a stage of nondual/life thing, that is not anything in particular and is always changing, so theres no thing to cling onto as oneself or experience to claim is the real (and a freedom that can come with this).  Theres even the just an individual again stage that understands their true nature and is fine with living out any life, feeling the original individuality of self and other, being a separate felt entity traveling the world, with the tree's and birds, the animals the cars, and computers, science, film, planets, doctors helping people, where you can accept and enjoy these special things, knowing deep down these are all god/self, and that all things that arise and are confronted are god.  Vastness may return and go, oneness experience may come and go, happiness and hate will come and go, connection with infinity and the unquestionable creator will come and go, but understanding prior to thought will remain.....  And I'm sure theres more.....  And again, as you probably better understand at this point, your free to be where you are.....

Gratitude to this forum and all beings who ..... I guess everyone man, love to all.  And thanks Leo for creating this hot spot!

Edited by Mu_

Who is loving everyone? (But seriously, this post has potential. ;) Thank you.)

@Mu_ Well I really enjoyed your perspective on the whole topic. It is always very helpful to reframe your view on a topic that you already think you "know" about. And I really like your view on it :) so thanks