Arcangelo

The MTB Thread

26 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2019 at 11:09 PM, Arcangelo said:

I am gonna do an exploration ride to Athens at least a month before the race.

Doing this on Sunday, wish me luck. It is 70km from my apt. and back. I think it is gonna take me 10 hours, I will be having lunch at Athens and scout a couple of hotels for the day of the championship. I need to stay at a hotel with a decent bed. Cheap stuff it is not gonna cut it this time, this is the championship! Everything is in it's place. I am bringing gels and salt pills because it's guaranteed that it's gonna be hot at Athens.

It's gonna be great!

See you next week.

Posted (edited)

Athens Trip Report

Hi. Yesterday i went to Athens with my friend. It was great! 

We rode on the bike for 9 hours. That's effective time. The whole trip took us like 11 hours, it was 85km.  I forgot to buy salt pills for this ride, but i did buy a couple of gels, those are good, they make you feel almost like brand new. At Athens we ate some sea food, and after that we had coffee with cake. The climate was great we had a lot of sun, but during some decent periods of time we had clouds with no rain blocking the sun for us. I felt really good on this trip, i used my energy wisely. I like the navigational part of exploration rides. During rides you got guides and during races you got a lot of arrows and judges with flags, and you gotta pay. Exploration rides are the real deal.

Announcements:

-I might not race the championship. I will say right now is 50/50

See you next time.

Edited by Arcangelo
coma

Hi, on June 23rd i am going mountain biking to some indigenous territory with the minibus guys. It's gonna be Great!

The place is called Golden Grain. It's a 60 km round trip that starts at a watering place called Adriano's. This trip is only for guys that have done previous rides, it's sort of exclusive haha!

Hmmm... Now that i think about it. It's gonna be as tough as usual. They just want proven people. I shouldn't be laughing yet.... haha!

I got the message today. When i go on these rides i compose a to-do and a to-carry list, it's very useful. That's a tip in case you are planning a nice ride yourself. I am getting new tires for this ride, i might even go tubeless but idk. I am gonna tell the guys at the shop where i am going, so they can tell me what tire to use. I am getting new gloves too.

I'll let you know when my bike is at tip top for the ride. My baby is like a race car every single detail has to be perfect.

See you next time!

Hi, today i payed the fee for the trip. I am staying the night before at my dad's house, so the minibus can pick me from there. Tomorrow i am buying gloves, salt pills and gels.

I am gonna wait until a few days before the ride to switch to tubeless tires, just like a Formula 1 car. I'll be getting rid of aprox. 1kg off of my bike with this move. It's a lot of weight that i don't need to be carrying around + is probably more green to go tubeless.

Tomorrow's training blocks:     5:20 am- 6:20 mellow ride / 8am -8:30 am sprint ride / 2:30 - 3:15 mellow ride    (All flat pavement) 

It's gonna be great!

See you next time.

Posted (edited)

Hi, the hype is real for this Golden Grain ride! This area is known for it's abundance of magic mushrooms, so OFC I'll pick me a couple if i spot them.

I cope me some new Maxxis IKON tires + some Biogel Louis Garneau gloves. These tires are easy to put on and easy to get off, i got them at a good price from my best friend. I made a research online and decided to stay using regular tube tires. Already got the mineral pills and a couple of gels too.

My bike looks like a Ferrari F1 car with those new tires!

Every thing is all set ,and it's gonna be great!

I'll leave you with the cycling tip of the week:

Stay in your lane.

See you next week with a full trip report.

Edited by Arcangelo
on

Golden Grain trip report:

I got picked from my dad's house at 4:45 am by the organizer. We arrived to Adriano's at 630, and we started the ride at 7:20 am. I burned a couple of matches at the very beginning trying to stay with the leading pack but I thought to myself: -''You know what? fuck this shit, those guys are riding to fast and I will probably pass them at the mountain''

So I started taking it slow and going back to my original plan which was to take it easy and start burning matches 3 hours in into the ride, not before.

So i did that and every single rider passed me. I arrived last at the first check point, there i started to take things more seriously and was able to pass like 12-15 riders by checkpoint #2. When I reached checkpoint #3 the elite pack was there I could have just skipped checkpoint #3 and try to arrive with the leaders, but i didn't. I did my routine at the checkpoint and went downhill with one of the guides. At the main downhill I forgot to unblock my suspension and did the whole downhill on a rigid bike>:(, and i was still able to keep up with the guideB|. I am truly The Lord and Master of The Downhill.

The whole ride took me 5 hours and 20 minutes. It was great!

Cycling tip of the week:

Maintain your right.

See you next time.

IMG_20190623_064721 (2).jpg