Julian

Your Favourite Quote

88 posts in this topic

"Worry is a down payment on a problem you may never have"- some random dude on a car forum. 

"Youve got to participate in your own rescue" - Coach Corey Waye.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson

“Although I am a typical loner in my daily life, my awareness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has prevented me from feelings of isolation.” ― Albert Einstein

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.” ― Albert Einstein. Everyone knows this quote, its one thing to understand it but recently I've been able to implement it into my everyday life. Kinda blows your mind.

When things go wrong in your perspective, remember it's not about you ?

You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.

- William Faulkner

Too many amazing quotes to list them all, but one that's resonated with me recently is:

Life asked death: "Why do people love me but hate you?"

Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie and I am a painful truth."

"Success at anything will always come down to this: focus & effort. And we control both." - Dwayne The Rock Johnson :)

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

It's fairly long, and not really suited for a snappy one-liner (19th century folks could sometimes be the opposite of frugal with their words, couldn't they?), but I still like it, partly because it's written about 150 years ago and is still true today, partly because it is a little inspiring and thought-birthing, but also because it's from one of my favorite books, John Stuart Mill's On Liberty, chapter three (I did have to search for a while to find it in English - I've only read it in translation):

"In our times, from the highest class of society down to the lowest, every one lives as under the eye of a hostile and dreaded censorship. Not only in what concerns others, but in what concerns only themselves, the individual or the family do not ask themselves—what do I prefer? or, what would suit my character and disposition? or, what would allow the best and highest in me to have fair play, and enable it to grow and thrive? They ask themselves, what is suitable to my position? what is usually done by persons of my station and pecuniary circumstances? or (worse still) what is usually done by persons of a station and circumstances superior to mine? I do not mean that they choose what is customary, in preference to what suits their own inclination. It does not occur to them to have any inclination, except for what is customary."

'A smile might not pay for your bills, but it saves the costs of psychotherapy.'

"Its not about how hard you can hit, but about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward", Sylvester Stallone, Rocky 6.