jjer94

A Journey to Anywhere

83 posts in this topic

a year in review.

"Nobody knows anything, Joe. We'll take this leap, and we'll see. We'll jump, and we'll see. That's life, right?"
-Patricia, Joe Vs. The Volcano

This past year was action-packed and transformative in the best ways. Here's what happened:

• I lived in an intentional community for more than a year
  • I worked through massive triggers around entitlement, socializing, and people in general
  • I saw through the illusion of fame and hierarchy by working with a gentle, wise old man
  • I stopped playing video games entirely, with the realization that it was my intentions behind playing them that was unhealthy, and not the video games themselves
  • I got an IIN certification for health coaching
  • I've been eating plant-based without effort or willpower for over a year after intuition told me to eat more fruits and veggies
  • I started songwriting again after a half-year hiatus
  • I went to open mics again after a long hiatus
  • I played in a school variety show, which sparked the interest of venues around town
  • I gigged for the first time at said venues and overcame my performance anxiety
  • I started posting demos of original and cover songs on my facebook page
  • I recorded an album in a professional music studio
  • I entered a short-lived karmic relationship in the summer that dissolved long-held codependent patterns around being the rescuer
  • I took 5-MeO-DMT, re-lived an in utero trauma, dry-heaved grief and shame out of my body like it was day-old pizza with anchovies, and realized how little I know about myself and about life, which humbled the fuck out of me
  • I took the highest dose of mushrooms that I've ever taken, yipped like a coyote, learned that sexual orientation is a nuanced spectrum, realized that my sense of self is more of a mosaic with multiple personalities than a singular entity, and realized that I'm hardly ever in my body and need to lovingly bring myself back into my body
  • I started a running habit without effort in November to help bring myself back into my body
  • I started a back-unmangling habit to work on my posture and dissolve knots in my back
  • I met an absolutely amazing woman who I am now dating who gives me strength, courage, and the privilege to genuinely appreciate another human being, as well as reflect back to me all of the ways that I do and don't love myself so that I can grow into the greatest version of myself
  • I sat through some of the darkest, most profane self-hating thoughts I've ever received from my mind and somehow survived
  • I realized the inevitable futility of self-hatred, which gives me more compassion for it
  • I realized that my nervous system is awakening to the truth of reality, not my mind
  • I learned that the journey of awakening is not a journey of trying to get there, but of bringing awakening to here
  • I realized that I have a lot to learn in the self-love department
  • I realized that it's okay to have sexual desire and preferences
  • I learned the true power of emotions, as well as how to feel them without acting on them
  • I grieved buckets
  • I got over my fear of vomiting
  • I had difficult, vulnerable talks with my family members that went really well in the end
  • I moved (yesterday) into a hobbit house that is perfect for my needs as well as my stature

My new years resolution last year was to come out of hiding, and that I most definitely did. 

I look at 2020 with a mixture of excitement and terror. The parts of me that are ready for the new life are excited, while the parts of me that still run on self-hatred, coping, and conditioning are shaking in their boots. All part of the process, I suppose! It's like, what the heck else am I going to do besides this life?

God is always waiting. But so is my Higher Self. 

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

@Marc Schinkel :x Been listening to this song in the car a lot lately. The only thing that bothers me is the "Da da da da" part. Come on, Tom. You couldn't think of any other lyrics? xD

Thank you for sharing ??

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov