Shroomdoctor

Question on Emotional Mastery

4 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

On the point of emotional mastery: What are the most effective points to tackle that?

Well, what emotions are you currently experiencing? What emotions would you like to be experiencing more? What is causing you to feel these particular emotions? Is it the way you are using your body? The perspectives you are holding? The people you are interacting with? The more clear you can become about your desired outcome emotionally, the easier it'll be to get there. 

Negative emotions are largely stored within the body and the subconscious mind. Using techniques like shamanic/holotropic/Wim Hof breathing/yoga/bioenergetics/trauma release will help alleviate tension within your body and release the 'neurotic holding patterns.' What I mean by these neurotic holding patterns is that a feeling of sadness let's say will be physically held within your chest/heart region as tension and a closing down long after the initial event has passed. This tension is done unconsciously to prevent you from fully experiencing the emotion; this is the physical effect of emotional repression. This closing down is the physical expression of a depressed person, the emotional/energetic states will manifest as body language, facial expressions and tonality. Doing body work will sort of mechanically release this tension and cause the emotion/memory to surface to your mind, thus allowing it to be consciously released and integrated. The key is observing without getting attached ("oh there's anger, that's interesting. I know that's not who I am but simply an experience that will pass shortly.") This work is difficult and if you really embrace it, it'll feel like you're a snake shedding its layers, or at least that's how it has felt for me. I'd highly recommend checking out some of Elliott Hulse's content for more thoughts on this. Hope you get some value from this post!

Elliot Hulse has some great videos talking about bioenergetics, meditation is also a great technique, Elliot says he got into bioenergetics because he was too neurotic to meditate. 

I recommend strong determination sitting for purging repressed emotions. It's really powerful especially when you get to a point where it's really difficult, and you stay mindful and aware of the body and its feelings.