MM1988

Why does it matter if you love reality or not?

63 posts in this topic

No success with girls despite trying for over a decade, depressed, neurotic, confused, nihilistic and going on 30 with no sign of anything changing.

OK, I'm going to teach you guys something here.

Forget about this enlightenment crap for a second.

Think of your life as an archetypal story.

What type of story do you want your life to be?

A tragedy? A comedy (i.e. happy ending?)

In order for it to be a comedy as opposed to a tragedy, you need to let of go of stuff that is holding you back and embrace stuff that moves you forward.

Embrace positive change.

It can be painful to give up stuff that is holding you back, even though it's holding...you...back.

'Cause the ego just wants to keep the status quo, it doesn't give a crap if you're happy or not.

If you can be honest with yourself and figure out what crap you need to give up and what positive things you need to embrace, your depression will let go.

Depression is just insufficient responsibility.

Maybe you need to embrace sufficient responsibility for something.

Start small, doable.  Maybe take responsibility for yourself.  What do you evade now?  Maybe it is as small as cleaning your damn room as per JBP.  Maybe it's more advanced.  Whatever it is, do it.

Then figure out what habits hold you back.  Maybe give up one of them to begin with.

Start with baby steps.  Don't worry about the cheese, worry about the next step in the maze.

Be consistent.

If you're capable of this, you'll be more happy and successful in a year.

@Haumea2018 right on point! Sometimes we tend to lose ourselves in the end goal and ignore the path leading there when the path is all that matters.

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

Sometimes we tend to lose ourselves in the end goal and ignore the path leading there when the path is all that matters.

Precisely.  Learning to enjoy the process is super-helpful and if you can't learn to enjoy it, at least learn to tolerate it.

But believe me when I say that you can overcome neurosis.  It's mostly about being more mature and/or sufficiently self-reliant.

Edited by Haumea2018