CreamCat

"Life is Meditation" by TJ Reeves

3 posts in this topic

This video seems to tie well into AMRAP mentality that I mentioned in my previous post. I deeply resonated with this video because pushing myself to my limits felt like a better form of meditation than being mindful of doing nothing.

• People limit meditation to just going to back to their breaths.
  • That form of meditation is just practice for the rest of life.
  • Your entire life is meditation, and meditation is your entire life.
  • Practicing by focusing on the sensation of breath passing through your nostrils is equivalent to practicing slowly driving a car in an empty parking lot.
  • The heart of zen is
    • Setting up a series of practices for yourself
    • Disciplining to allow yourself to contemplate the biggest questions that exist and feel more of your experience.
  • Enligtenment is going to work and getting there on time.
  • Meditation is
    • Creating a new video
    • Learning a new skillset that you have to learn
    • Sticking to a plan appropriately and loosely with a beginner's mind and a mindset of freshness, accepting that whatever is coming up is a new experience different from all other experiences and diving deeper into it, not thinking that you are the expert all the time but instead allowing yourself to learn.
  • Work-outs are part of meditation.
    • Working out even when you don't feel like it is a heart of meditation.
  • Falling off of the attention from the breath and going back to it is a metaphor for what we do in our lives.
    • That's a metaphor for disciplines we have in our lives that help us become the best version of ourselves, realize our potential, and have enlightened lives.
    • We all fuck up and fall off here and there.
    • Noticing that we fuck up and fall off and coming back to those practices and habits and disciplines and actions to create better lives for ourselves is the point.
    • As a result of your meditation practice, you should be a more successful person because you should be creating more successes in your life.
    • You should be full of successes because you had each one of those practices that you set up and get done with each one of them.
    • When you start falling off and are not doing what you could be doing and get right back to it, that is the heart of zen.
  • You can create whatever you want to create, given enough time with these practices.
  • Creating the life that you want is the byproduct and a result on the side of you focusing on doing things that you know are important to do.
  • Focus on getting done with those practices.
  • You're responsible. You owe it to yourself. You have an obligation to nail these practices that you know are important.
    • Just do them. Just focus on doing them.
  • Meditation isn't just sitting down. Meditation is the entire life. It is having those practices, noticing when you fall off, acknowledging it, and getting back to it.
    • It is not focusing too much on goals, but focusing on the process.
    • It's good to have end goals. It's good to challenge yourself. It's good to see whether what you are doing is creating what you want.
    • But, it's always to focus on the process and on those practices.
Edited by CreamCat