adrian284

Thoughts Blanking Out Randomly

6 posts in this topic

I've had this issue for a long time (I'm in my late 20s and since I was a teenager I've had this happen once in a while) that when I'm self-consciously thinking when I fear "what if I blank out now", I blank out. I cannot think at least around 10 seconds and then slowly I can think. 

Sometimes this even happens when I'm in a conversation and the fear of this happening makes it happen

I feel that it's like a OCD behaviour, as I think I obsessively do it to myself because I cannot not do it. 

Have you guys experienced this before? Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with it or avoid it?

Edited by adrian284

Yes I still to this day have some problems with this but it's gotten better, some call this self sabotage, cognitive dissonance, the bad news is you've built a habit out of this, so it will continue to happen because subconsciously you're more comfortable doing it.

You will bring about what you focus on---> "what if I blank out now" your focus is on "blanking out" which is what keeps happening. (Law of Attraction effect)

So if you can be mindful in the moment about this and FOCUS on --> being present, listening, nodding your head, and CONTINUE to do so even though it feels wrong or uncomfortable, that over time it will go away but you constantly have to do it every single time and chip away at it. It will get easier and there will be less and less emotional attachment to it and you will grow.

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori

Yup, I tend to do this a lot when important information is given to me.  I never stopped to think about it though until you mentioned just there and then.

You might want to see a doctor. Years ago this used to happen to me and I found out I was having mini seizures. just to be on the safe side please see a doctor. 

@Evilwave Heddy @Brian Greendahl Thanks for your input.

@Truth I agree, that is exactly why the blank-outs are happening. And yes, I have been using that strategy to ignore them when they happen and it works about fifty percent of the times. I'm keeping a look out for other subtle mental tricks to avoid these glitches in my thinking.

7 hours ago, adrian284 said:

@Truth I agree, that is exactly why the blank-outs are happening. And yes, I have been using that strategy to ignore them when they happen and it works about fifty percent of the times. I'm keeping a look out for other subtle mental tricks to avoid these glitches in my thinking.

Recently just me nodding has helped a lot with this, I once heard that controlling your body when you can't control your mind is the best answer and vice versa, when I first heard that I didn't understand it, but now it makes sense. Thanks for reminding me of that ;)

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori