Frog

Wage Slavery

33 posts in this topic

Here is a good illustration on the POWER of modern day wage slavery. It is so ingeniously designed that 99,999% of people never escape this circle.

ALL.jpeg

Anybody who works for money is a wage slave.  You’re whoring yourself out of some level when you work for money period.  Even if you think you’re a do-gooder, you’re still working for dollars at the end of the day just like everybody else is.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor No, you're only whoring yourself out if you are whoring yourself out.

Not everyone is a whore. And there are many degrees of whoring.

Watch out with this overly simplistic, fatalistic thinking.

If not being a whore is important to you, you can design such a life. Saying that everyone is a whore is like saying everyone is a criminal. That's a very convenient way to think if you are a criminal.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Joseph Maynor No, you're only whoring yourself out if you are whoring yourself out.

Not everyone is a whore. And there are many degrees of whoring.

Watch out with this overly simplistic, fatalistic thinking.

If not being a whore is important to you, you can design such a life. Saying that everyone is a whore is like saying everyone is a criminal. That's a very convenient way to think if you are a criminal.

You’re entitled to your opinion as am I.  We might have a point of disagreement here, which is fine by me.  It’s an honest comment on my part.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Leo Gura Joseph is right in this instance, for someone preaching non-duality and enlightment you sure are quite lost. Go deeper into your field of research and you will find that you can actually attract literally anything without working for anyone but yourself. All you need is a silent room and access to the internet to kickstart this journey.

13 minutes ago, Frog said:

@Leo Gura Joseph is right in this instance, for someone preaching non-duality and enlightment you sure are quite lost. Go deeper into your field of research and you will find that you can actually attract literally anything without working for anyone but yourself. All you need is a silent room and access to the internet to kickstart this journey.

Many people don’t know what it feels like not to have to work for money at all, so they don’t see the compromising that all working for money entails.  My intention was to convey that point, but it’s easily confused as a cynicism about earning money.  Am I a cynic about earning money?  I would say yes and no.  It’s required — so it doesn’t really make sense to be against working for money.   Would I work for money if I didn’t have to?— absolutely not.  So see, it’s a little bit nuanced, a little bit complicated.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

19 minutes ago, Frog said:

Self employment does not imply being free from being a wage slave.

@Shadowraix Self-employment is a step above being a wageslave. After that you can climb higher and go for enlightenment. Or you could go live in the woods and go for enlightenment that way but you would lose too much time bootstrapping a comfy place.

3 minutes ago, Frog said:

@Shadowraix Self-employment is a step above being a wageslave. After that you can climb higher and go for enlightenment. Or you could go live in the woods and go for enlightenment that way but you would lose too much time bootstrapping a comfy place.

Have you ever been self-employed?  I assume you’re speaking from your own actual experience.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor Yes, i was working for offensive security and then moved on and built various software ( crypters, remote administration tools , etc ) but that was back in the ~2010 era.

Just now, Frog said:

@Joseph Maynor Yes, i was working for offensive security and then moved on and built various software ( crypters, remote administration tools , etc ) but that was back in the ~2010 era.

So how is that any better than doing that as an employee somewhere?

5 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Have you ever been self-employed?  I assume you’re speaking from your own actual experience.  

Yes, I am currently self-employed. Of course thats a sort of vague term. I do contracted work as of right now, but im working on some independent projects so I can stray away from contracted work.

7 minutes ago, Frog said:

I would say there are severities of being a wage slave. Self-employment can definitely be way more ideal than working for some big (or small) corporation. More so if you can avoid contracted work.

But all it really does is reassign who is "responsible" for your wages. You are still dependent on them. But as I said the amount of control and freedom you get can be much greater than being some employee. Not to mention a whole lotta diversity! Keeps the game interesting!

8 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Yes, I am currently self-employed. Of course thats a sort of vague term. I do contracted work as of right now, but im working on some independent projects so I can stray away from contracted work.

I would say there are severities of being a wage slave. Self-employment can definitely be way more ideal than working for some big (or small) corporation. More so if you can avoid contracted work.

But all it really does is reassign who is "responsible" for your wages. You are still dependent on them. But as I said the amount of control and freedom you get can be much greater than being some employee. Not to mention a whole lotta diversity! Keeps the game interesting!

I’ve been self-employed/ an independent contractor for 8 years.  There are pros and cons to it — but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily better than being an employee.  The true discussion to be had on this matter is much more nuanced than anyone is willing to explore or to admit.  It’s easy just to just lump things into two broad categories and then judge.  At the end of the day, the only true question is — what’s best for me?  When you take your life and all of its idiosyncrasies and you ask — what’s best for me? — now you’ve got hold of a real question.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I’ve been a self-employed/ independent contractor for 8 years.  There are pros and cons to it — but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily better than being an employee.  

Correct. 'better' depends what you want out of it.

I actually sometimes miss the social nature of my old retail job so im not cooped up in the house so often. But at the same time the leisure of working from home is pretty great. 

I was mostly speaking in the severity of being a 'wage slave' that self employment can be a step above but doesn't inherently imply elimination of being one.

@Joseph Maynor Well i had much more free time and i basically retired at 30 years old. Now i have all the time in the world to break time :)

6 minutes ago, Frog said:

@Joseph Maynor Well i had much more free time and i basically retired at 30 years old. Now i have all the time in the world to break time :)

Good for you.  Not everybody makes a lot of money being self-employed though.  Some people make less than they would as an employee.  I can’t tell you how much of my time I don’t get compensated for that at least I would be paid for if I were working as an employee somewhere.  It also sucks not knowing how much money I’m gonna make per month.   Some months I make a lot, some months I don’t make squat.  It’s very hard for me to forecast anything financial.  At least when you’re an employee you have a solid sense of what your monthly income will be from month to month.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

12 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I’ve been self-employed/ an independent contractor for 8 years.

An independent contractor is still a wage slave. A contractor still makes things for someone else. Leo Gura is not an independent contractor.

Edited by CreamCat

8 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

An independent contractor is still a wage slave. A contractor still makes things for someone else. Leo Gura is not an independent contractor.

That’s just semantics.  I’m self-employed.  I run my own business.   I set my own hours.  I have my own office.   Nobody gets to tell me what to do.  I’m far from being a wage slave, if you wanna call it that.  I think that’s a distinction without a difference though.  At the end of the day, if you’re in the game of working for money, you’re in it.   The Ego wants to say — oh I’m better than that guy over there.   But no dude, you’re in it too.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

5 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

And wouldn't running a business just reassign the people responsible for your wages as the general public? Except with this your wage is never guaranteed.

@CreamCat Leo Gura still has to produce weekly videos to keep himself alive at some level, unless he saved enough to retire now, which makes him a wageslave. The thing is that he's a genius slave, he designed his slave work to suit his main pursuit in life, enlightenment.

Edited by Frog