Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Silvester

Handling some career ideas

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am stuck and need some advice. 

I have several interests but I never know if any of them are marketable and what I really want to do for a long time. I like fiction writing but I also like to listen to people and to teach them, give them insights. I thought of researching topics like shadow work and emotional healing and conveying the information in a blog. (And then eventually selling a related product or doing coaching).  I don't know if that is a realistic plan though...

Making a living being a fiction author is sort of difficult I assume and I am not sure if it would have the positive impact the way the blog would have.

Whenever I think of those ideas I feel overwhelmed by all the technical details I'd have to take care of and the time it would take to build it. 

I don't know how to decide, commit or actually start any of those endeavors.. any advice?

I am currently 17 and I have a fiction book under construction. Yeah, writing might be difficult to incorporate into your career (especially if English isn't your native language, which is my case). If you truly enjoy writing, then taking care of all the details is fun. You can't build a kingdom overnight. Sometimes I am unsure wheter this is my purpose, but I feel like there's like nothing else I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life.

@Silvester Hey Silvester. 

It looks to me like you've got all the details right and you just need a bit of a push. A huge part of my life purpose is writing - I write in a blog and I want to publish fictional novels too. So, I'll give you a bit of guidance from my own experience with launching these endeavours. 

Focus on the blog first. Don't think too much about it, just do it. Just write things and publish it - get the ball rolling. Start off by doing it as a means of practicing your professional writing and building your platform. After a year or so of doing this, you would have built a platform for yourself and your ideas. Not to mention that you would have just done an entire years worth of writing practice/mastery (Super powerful!) . From there you will have a good foundation to take your life purpose and expand it - by doing the coaching, the insights , etc. The idea is to build this into a solid and consistent source of income, so that you can then start to work on your fictional novels without hassle. 

As for you fictional novels, I will tell you that fiction and story are both super powerful tools. If you are really passionate about emotional healing and shadow work, you can write stories that discuss these topics in ways that will just capture the hearts of so many people. The fact is that many people are still adverse and ignorant to these important facets of personal development, so we are trying to find 'trojan horse' ways of educating them on such ideas. I think doing it through storytelling is a pretty great way to do it. 

And as for 'just doing it', there really is no two ways about it aye. You just kind of have to put all thoughts aside and launch into it. And I mean this - don't wait for tomorrow. When you finish reading my response, go ahead and create your blog page and then write your first blog post. Just do an introduction to yourself and the blog. If you don't take action, you will likely always be overwhelmed. So the one cure is ACTION!

Goodluck!

Edited by St Clair

@St Clair thank you for response! This is kind of late now, life got in the way one might say. 

I love your ideas with the Trojan Horse in relation to shadow work and stuff. Stories are good for that I guess.

I thought of starting a blog many times before but I am never sure what to write about... fiction? I could write about personal dev. stuff but I don't know if that's a good niche to then sell novels suddenly.  Do you use your blog to attract your audience that will buy your books or do you write about topics unrelated to fiction writing? 

I think you got me convinced, maybe I'll give this blogging thing  a go haha

@SirVladimir at 17! Don't stop mate, who knows maybe you'll be the next Rolling!