Scarecrow

Friend issue

4 posts in this topic

Recently my best friend asked if I’d be willing to stay at there house for a week and watch there dogs. I politely declined. Just don’t feel comfortable staying at someone else’s house for a week. Recently she has been very distant with me. And has said I’m selfish for saying no cause I had no excuse except for I didn’t want to. Pretty much she lost a lot of respect for me. Said she proably be sure never to ask any favors from me ever agian. Which hurt cause we are the closet people to eachother. Been feeling like a horrible person lately. Don’t know if I’m just a bad friend or if they are just petty. Would like to know what other people think. 

A week of dog-sitting is a big ask! How much experience do you have of caring for dogs? How well do you know their dogs or their house? When you have been responsible for things in the past, has it gone ok? You don't deserve to feel guilty about this. Her angered reaction may just have been in the moment.

If you want to recover your friendship with her, consider the following: When are they going away? Is there still time to fix this? Consider what she could do to make the dog-sitting seem easier for you (like spending time over there with the dogs before she goes and building confidence with them). Can the dog-sitting be shared with another person too?

I don't think it's a fair reaction of your 'friend' at all. I would feel very bad to even consider asking a friend to watch over dogs for a week in my house.

What does she expect? Looks like it's more her problem than yours to be honest. I'd be dissappointed with her reaction.

Edited by Tistepiste

I think its ok to decline. Accepting the task would probably be an unhealthy stage green behaviour. Or maybe she is an exploitative person, you never really know, maybe I am wrong.