archi

physical pain during retreat

12 posts in this topic

Hi, retreats are great tool to progress.

However, I've got scoliosis and after 7-8 days meditating 13-14h per day my back pain got so great that it helped idea to leave retreat early (it was one of the reasons).

I tried to help relieve my pain, it was also object of my meditation, actually great object of meditation in terms of impermanence but it is so draining and It may lead to attachment and also physically to permanent weakening of one side of back muscles, etc.  

Also, I've observed that there were few people that had similar issues but It was silent retreat and speaking was undesirable.

Anybody has such health issues during retreats? How do/did you deal with it?

Lay down? 

Walking meditation?

Also there are other ways to get there besides mediation ;)

ps I know it’s Goenka, above options wouldn’t really fly but retreats are overrated anyway. Do your own; all you need is a mosquito net and a forest :)

1 hour ago, Sashaj said:

Lay down? 

Walking meditation?

Also there are other ways to get there besides mediation ;)

ps I know it’s Goenka, above options wouldn’t really fly but retreats are overrated anyway. Do your own; all you need is a mosquito net and a forest :)

Yes, it is walking sitting, walking sitting, etc. always 1h but after 5-6 days (when one should get the most benefit) I can hold sitting position in the afternoon for few mins, also it is not really nice during dhama talk to change position every 2-3minutes because I'm not able to sit.

Ok, lying on my back helps but it usually makes me loose concentration. Maybe I try solo retreat at certain point this may relieve some mental burden of it but one needs discipline anyway and retreat helped me to build discipline.   

I just want to know what people tried and what worked for them, maybe I did not try something :) .

1 hour ago, Viking said:

you were probably sitting wrong

well, what is correct and what is wrong, I try to sit in a relaxed way, I try to use effortless effort approach, whatever it means. 

Actually, I'm reasonably flexible yogi but padmasana gives me still too much pressure on my knees so I use burmese style.

Edited by archi

I can relate. I have a mild scoliosis in my lumbar spine, and did a 7-day vipassana retreat earlier this year. Holy balls, my back was screaming at me after 3 days, and it was tough to do the sits for sure. The pain was so pointed and constant that it hurt whether I was doing seated or walking meditation. I just kept counting the days and somehow got through it. Haven't had anything close to that amount of pain since. Like you said, it's the 12 hours of meditating a day (especially the seated sessions) that fired it up. I bet you'll get through it next time. But yeah, it's hard to meditate when PAIN PAIN PAIN!!! is all your head is yelling at you. 

This topic makes me think of the effects that opioid  pain treatment might have on this work and if it would even be possible to get anywhere doing this work under the influence of such substances. How would having something that, in a sense amplifies your lower self, ever allow you to do consciousness work?

@GodMonkey  It might allow for some gains at first, but it would eventually be a thorn in your side, as those gains would always be predicated on the use of the drug. My thoughts anyway. 

what retreat did you attend?

the few I've been to they allowed for chair and back support for those who might face difficulty sitting with crossed legs. 

I tend to opt for a back support myself. 

Edited by Widdle Puppy

On 8/27/2018 at 7:47 PM, Widdle Puppy said:

what retreat did you attend?

the few I've been to they allowed for chair and back support for those who might face difficulty sitting with crossed legs. 

I tend to opt for a back support myself. 

It was retreat in Javorie, Slovakia May 2018 by Bhante Gavesi

http://gavesi.blogspot.com/

Yes, some people sit/sat on chair, ego is bitch that is why I sat cross-legged. I realized that I should have used this back pain as noting object and investigate deeper. And out of practice exercise more to sort out this back issue.

16 minutes ago, archi said:

It was retreat in Javorie, Slovakia May 2018 by Bhante Gavesi

http://gavesi.blogspot.com/

Yes, some people sit/sat on chair, ego is bitch that is why I sat cross-legged. I realized that I should have used this back pain as noting object and investigate deeper. And out of practice exercise more to sort out this back issue.

I don't think you should overthink it but I tend to lean on trying to reduce pain as much as possible by sitting in a position that is comfortable but also won't put me to sleep. I can sit cross leg with the right cushions and keep my back straight without pain, just getting sore. It's ok to adjust while sitting if you need to. Just keep doing your best to remain aware when you readjust. If you are in actual intense pain you shouldn't push it. It may not be good for your posture, and yes exercise is usually good!