Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crauli

Truth in Greek language

6 posts in this topic

Truth in Greek language translates as "alethia" (αλήθεια)

Etymologically comes from "a" ( α), which means "not" , and "lethi" (λήθη) , which means "forgetness","something that I don't remember"

So, alethia (truth), etymologically, points to something which I forgot but now I remember it. Remember something from the past..

It's hard to translate Greek words in other languages, especially some with such deep meaning like alethia. You can do more research on internet for this word if you think it can help you understand more about what Truth is about.

10 hours ago, Crauli said:

Truth in Greek language translates as "alethia" (αλήθεια)

Greek civilization rejected "subjective truth". Aristotle is considered the "Father of Western Philosophy". The western mind is basically logical, it can't accept anything beyond Aristotelian logic.

Great civilization in Greece couldn't understand Heraclitus,  Socrates, Pythagoras, Plotinus , Diogenes as spiritually enlightened persons and declined. Heraclitus in Greece not known as an enlightened person but as Heraclitus the Obscure. Plato called Diogenes "a Socrates gone mad". Socrates was poisoned. Pythagoras was killed by a mob. 

Greece lost its golden age the day it decided to poison Socrates. Man has developed so far as his outer mundane life is concerned, but his inner being and values that make him a human being have not developed since the poisoning of Socrates. 

Edited by Prabhaker

1 hour ago, Prabhaker said:

Greek civilization rejected "subjective truth". Aristotle is considered the "Father of Western Philosophy". The western mind is basically logical, it can't accept anything beyond Aristotelian logic.

Great civilization in Greece couldn't understand Heraclitus,  Socrates, Pythagoras, Plotinus , Diogenes as spiritually enlightened persons and declined. Heraclitus in Greece not known as an enlightened person but as Heraclitus the Obscure. Plato called Diogenes "a Socrates gone mad". Socrates was poisoned. Pythagoras was killed by a mob. 

Greece lost its golden age the day it decided to poison Socrates. Man has developed so far as his outer mundane life is concerned, but his inner being and values that make him a human being have not developed since the poisoning of Socrates. 

Thank you for sharing this.

So, you mean to say that Heraclitus, Socrates, Pythagoras, Plotinus and Diogenes were enlightened? 

Where as, Plato and Aristotle were not? 

20 minutes ago, mohdanas said:

Where as, Plato and Aristotle were not? 

Plato and Aristotle were logicians. Plato concludes that poetry must be banished from his hypothetical ideal society.

I didn't want to talk about any of the names that came up. 

I just wanted to talk about Truth.. and the meaning that I found by the etymology of the Greek word αλήθεια.

And if you want to talk about them my personal belief is that if you read ancient Greek philosophers from a translated book to English, the meaning will be so different from the original one.. 

Ancient Greek is a language that even we ,modern Greeks can berily understand..

5 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

Plato and Aristotle were logicians. Plato concludes that poetry must be banished from his hypothetical ideal society.

Not hoping in the discussion, but I don't think personality type defines whether one can or can not be enlightened. It's just different road to same destination. :)