BornToBe

Physical pain in legs while meditating .

11 posts in this topic

Hello !
I started meditating  7 months ago..Firstly my meditation was  10 minutes and I gradually increased the time of meditation. Nowadays , my meditation lasts 40 minutes.
Today I decided to try to make a session more - 2 hours. But hour later the physical pain began in the legs. I kind of accept this pain and continued to meditate on. But the more I was sitting the more was the pain . But again I accept the pain and it became easier. But after 20 minutes accepting this pain I simply gave up. And now I feel kind of dissatisfied even though it was actually the longest meditation I have ever done.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I know that people are meditating for 10 hours straight , how do they accept this pain? Or is it more a question of practice?
Can you share you experience guys?
I would be very grateful for any help and advices!

Edited by BornToBe

You dont need to endure a meditation. I find the sweet spot is 1 hour, and it is extremely effective.

If you want longer sessions, just go for 40min-1 hour, then take a break to move your legs, maybe walk and contemplate. Then go back and sit to meditate for another hour.

The point is NOT to endure pain. The point is to realise the truth.

Personally, I alternate between sitting and standing in a Zan Zuang posture otherwise my legs go numb. This works for me because I get the benefits of the standing posture and helps switch things up. But I understand this wouldn't be hardcore enough for some people who want to push through the leg pain / numbness etc., but that isn't my style atm.

Pain × Mindfulness = Purification.

Edited by Rinne

@MarkusR How about monks who meditate for many hours straight without having a break ?

And I also felt like I was able to accept a pain and keep on meditating but I simply gave up since my mind convinced me that it was enough.

I don’t want to become a monk but how they deal with a physical pain ?What is your opinion?

@dlof Do you think it’s a correct way to meditate pushing through the pain and kind of accepting it?It should become easier over time I think

1 hour ago, BornToBe said:

@dlof Do you think it’s a correct way to meditate pushing through the pain and kind of accepting it?It should become easier over time I think

It is one method of meditation and a good one in my opinion. It is much easier once you recognise that it is not you (nor anyone else) that is in pain; that there is actually no one to be in pain.

But perhaps before you have realised this, don't push too hard. (I did not find this method until I had realised this.) (or perhaps I was unconsciously doing this method in slow steps (not too much pain) and that helped the realisation)

Edited by dorg

1 hour ago, BornToBe said:

Sure, it can lead to rapid progress in a certain direction. Schinzen Young calls it "Strong determination sitting", he's got a video on Youtube about it as does Leo.

I'm not really into that kind of hardcore meditation at the moment though. I'm mainly using meditation to help my focus, dissolve troublesome thought structures / emotions. Combining that with the standing meditation helps increase my energy and improve my posture at the same time too which is a bonus.