Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guido

The origin of the ego

11 posts in this topic

I see the ego as a fundamental evolutionary adaptation, absolutely necessary for biological entities to survive. If we see it from the selfish gene theory it makes absolute sense. If the biological entity doesn't have an ego, it might just don't care about survival, thus not spreading the genes.

A human with an ego is a perfect machine from the perspective of evolution and nature. When Leo bashes against it I always think that the ego is just perfect as it is. Of course, humans know better and if we want to awaken to our true nature we have to kill it, but that doesn't mean the ego is "bad" or a flaw of humans, it's a perfect mechanism of nature!

Maybe it is an obvious thing but it surprises me that Leo never talks about this. I'm interested in your opinions.

@Guido WE no longer need the ego as much as we needed it thousands of years ago.

The problem with the ego (at least when it's strong like in stage Red and Orange) is that it does HORRIBLE stuff just to fail at pleasing itself: 

Wars, Crimes, Violence, Indirect-Crimes (they constitute more then half of all crimes), Fucking up earth (pollution), Creating and sustaining Poverty and so on... 

The ego wan't bad hundreds/ thousands of years ago, but now it's horrible.

Don't forget that there are many degrees of your ego. A stage Torquise might activate/control or silence his ego at will. Stage Yellow has very weak ego. Everyone below have strong ego.

ALL OF HUMANITY'S SHIT is a result of strong ego.

read more history and just study some plain/basic human psychology.

Edited by MrDmitriiV

"It is the emptiness within the cup that makes it useful."

Ego is merely ignorance on the true nature.  It's not a flaw, not a sin, etc.

@MrDmitriiV yes, of course, I agree with you. What I'm saying is that the ego is not the problem, the enviroment is the problem. In the cavemen era the ego was a perfect and necessary mechanism of survival.

Now, because of the enviroment the ego has many more options to create misery and all of humanity's shit as you say.

The solution, since we cannot return to the cavemen era, is to destroy the ego.

You dont need to look at evolution to see how ego was created, just look at your own life, when did “you” first appear? and how did “you” develop?

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Guido  @Rilles @Naturalist The human brain takes thousands of years to evolve/change, while human society takes hundreds of years to evolve.

Right now our society should consist of at least stage Yellow humans, with stage Torquise and stage Coral as leaders and teachers.

However, the human brain didn't catch up with our evolution, thus hindering our progress to get most people into stage Yellow.

During the cavemen era the brain , as it was, was perfectly fine, but the problem is we still have pretty much the same brains the cavemen had, but with technologies such as nuclear weapons and AI instead of rocks and sticks. 

Did you read about human evolution and our psychology? I spent years reading books about these topics, and it helped me a lot to understand the world. 

Edited by MrDmitriiV

44 minutes ago, Rilles said:

You dont need to look at evolution to see how ego was created, just look at your own life, when did “you” first appear? and how did “you” develop?

Yes, the ego starts to appear at very young age but it is pre-programmed to appear, it's part of the human entity, the same as any other part like the nose for example.

11 minutes ago, MrDmitriiV said:

During the cavemen era the brain , as it was, was perfectly fine, but the problem is we still have pretty much the same brains the cavemen had, but with technologies such as nuclear weapons and AI instead of rocks and sticks. 

Exactly!

11 minutes ago, MrDmitriiV said:

Did you read about human evolution and our psychology? I spent years reading books about these topics, and it helped me a lot to understand the world. 

Yes, I did read books and articles about evolution. That's why I'm surprised Leo never mention this when talking about the ego. Maybe when he does the video about evolution he will talk about this.

@Guido What do you hope to get out of reading about the evolution of ego, I love studying it myself so i’m not bashing you or anything, i’m curious?

Btw I think Leo will make a series about evolution soon, he has mentioned it before. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

3 minutes ago, Guido said:

Yes, I did read books and articles about evolution. That's why I'm surprised Leo never mention this when talking about the ego. Maybe when he does the video about evolution he will talk about this.

The reason Leo doesn't talk about this stuff because it's too basic, lately his vids are mostly made for people who already have the basics (like evolution).

3 hours ago, Rilles said:

@Guido What do you hope to get out of reading about the evolution of ego, I love studying it myself so i’m not bashing you or anything, i’m curious?

Btw I think Leo will make a series about evolution soon, he has mentioned it before. 

I didn't read about the evolution of ego specifically, just about evolution. It's just a thought I have that the ego itself is not the problem, it's the mix of ego and the modern life. Of course, that doesn't change anything, we still need to erase the ego if we want to ascend to higher levels of conciousness. I just wanted to know other opinions about this.

2 hours ago, MrDmitriiV said:

The reason Leo doesn't talk about this stuff because it's too basic, lately his vids are mostly made for people who already have the basics (like evolution).

Leo said in a recent video that he will do a video about evolution soon. :)

@Guido Yes, lately he took an interest into covering basic stuff for guys below stage Yellow, he probably realized that his base audience are stage Green and Orange folks.

Edited by MrDmitriiV