ULFBERHT

Work Culture And Ingrained Attitudes

4 posts in this topic

This article about the argument for shorter work hours and more individual control over free time raises some interesting ideas about work culture in America and how cultural attitudes are assumed across time. Reading it, I realized I have a kind of love-hate relationship with the work culture in my country. If I'm speaking honestly, I'd love to spend most of my time like a Sunday morning; reading, studying, reflecting, sitting quietly, and sipping my coffee. But on the other hand, it feels good in a way to hit it hard Monday morning, work through lunch, and maybe go into the office on Saturday morning to get some extra work done. I feel like American attitudes about work are closely linked to attitudes about self-worth and social contribution. I noticed in myself agreeing with some of the arguments in the essay, but at the end, I still don't feel like shorter work hours are a good idea. Something about it still feels lazy.

What do you think?

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

This is exactly what Karl Marx was talking about. He goes on to say how capitalism and greed will numb and cut out any creative thinking or individual freedom. This includes things such as art; when's the last time you heard someone making a living with art? It's rare to see it.

Working is fine, it's a way to actually live. But when rent can be so expensive, and living standards are also costly, it becomes trouble, to a point where there is an entire culture of work. A work culture should not exist at all. Working should just be like meditation, you do it without any questions and do it to not die.

But it becomes absolute in society, you HAVE to work or you will be on the streets. You become absolute with the work instead of yourself

However, even without capitalism, there is work. You have to work for your food. It's just, capitalism's version of work is sucking your soul out

Don't be a communist though, but I'm just saying, there are good points that Marx has said. And by all means don't quit any job. It's needed

Edited by B_Naz

You're not human, you're the universe

The 9-5 work culture is the basis of the capitalism. Tired unhappy workers spend a lot in his leissure time to cope with insatisfaction. Bigger hourses, better cars, exotic vacations, alcohol, restaurants...

The system would collapse with happy people working part job consuming less.

Our values keep us in captivity.

If a person rejects the values of power, material success and security, he or she can break free. It takes tremendous courage however .