Valdemar

Difference between meditation and self-inquiry

6 posts in this topic

Hi,
what is a difference between (mindfulness) meditation and deep self inquiry? Becouse during SI im focusing on present moment and trying to be aware of consiousness, so basicaly im just keeping distance from the content, same as in the meditation . So whats the difference?

Thanks

In self-inquiry, you really ask yourself who it is that is being aware. When you try to be aware of consciousness, who/what is trying? It's not necessarily active although it definitely starts out as that. It's also not a mental thing although it normally starts out as that. It's a direct approach to come to the bottom of WHAT YOU ARE. As soon as you have an answer in your head or a feeling which you think is it, ask yourself who/what is feeling/thinking this?
It's a very very tricky process and you can dive seemingly infinitely deep. In the beginning, it's seeing what you are not. If you then look at what is left, you can passively just rest as that. I recommend Rupert Spira's or Adyashanti's guided meditations on that if you want an experiential understanding.

This has nothing to do with just being mindful of all phenomena happening. You're looking behind the curtain, wheras in mindfulness meditation you just sharpen your ability to distinguish phenomena, perceive details in perception and develop equanimity. All this can help in self-inquiry but it is not self-inquiry.

Edited by peanutspathtotruth

Self-inquiry is just meditation with the goal of realizing yourself as who you truly are, so you start of with the humble knowledge that you presently don't know, as apposed to meditating to increase your focus or whatever.

And then it's either do-nothing meditation or feeling the Self meditation as Ramana prescribed it. 

Both seem like mind tricks to me. When it comes down to it a chasing a goal and increasing focus seem to be the same thing. At least I see that dudes. 

Edited by Jack River

7 hours ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

In self-inquiry, you really ask yourself who it is that is being aware. When you try to be aware of consciousness, who/what is trying? It's not necessarily active although it definitely starts out as that. It's also not a mental thing although it normally starts out as that. It's a direct approach to come to the bottom of WHAT YOU ARE. As soon as you have an answer in your head or a feeling which you think is it, ask yourself who/what is feeling/thinking this?
It's a very very tricky process and you can dive seemingly infinitely deep. In the beginning, it's seeing what you are not. If you then look at what is left, you can passively just rest as that. I recommend Rupert Spira's or Adyashanti's guided meditations on that if you want an experiential understanding.

This has nothing to do with just being mindful of all phenomena happening. You're looking behind the curtain, wheras in mindfulness meditation you just sharpen your ability to distinguish phenomena, perceive details in perception and develop equanimity. All this can help in self-inquiry but it is not self-inquiry.

Yea i understand. Like you said, in SI, i usually starts really active, but when i get deeper into it, i begin to detach from the content becouse i feel that asking isnt really getting me anywhere - if you know what i mean, in other words, i start to feel that, i need to get outside the mind, and on that point it's almost like a meditation.

1. Watch Leo YouTube videos on self-inquiry and consciousness. 

2. Read Gamana's The Yoga of Consciousness 

3. Watch Mooji videos on YouTube about inquiry and the invitation 

4. Practice accordingly 

5. Profit. 

That's all you need for Self-inquiry